all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Second look at lower back ache

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Doc-Rush

First Post
I posted a few weeks ago about feeling lower back muscle ache after the swings and wondering if that was okay. Turns out it was a problem. A week ago yesterday I jacked up my back. I've never "thrown" my back out before, this was a new experience.
I felt as useful as a bag of hammers. I started again today after ensuring my form was correct and speaking with an instructor.
Did my S&S sets at my previous weight today. First thing I noticed is that I felt all the weight in my hamstrings, and my lower back had none of the muscle ache after my sets that I had previous. Good news.
Second, after that week off, the 24kg felt strangely light. Is this normal? I was initially worried that I was going to have to drop back down to the 20kg. Instead, I'm thinking that I'll be ready to test myself next week to move up.
Anyways, I wanted to share. I know it's said repeatedly, but form is incredibly important. Throwing a back out is terrible.

I'm no expert but I believe the hamstrings are much stronger than the lower back. Probably has something to do with it.

@Doc-Rush, please post a swing video.

Where you feel it doesn't necessarily correlate with either good or bad form. We want as much of the load as possible in your hips, not lower back, and not hamstrings. Everything is working, of course, but one of the most common mistakes we see is too much hamstring and not enough hip involvement. Your back should remain neutral.

-S-

Without being able to see your form it is hard to comment with any accuracy

Listen to your body and get a medical clearance if there are more issues

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom