all posts post new thread

Second Wind Second Wind vs Wim Hof Method

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Brian T

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I’m a beginner with regards to breath work. I just started reading Wim Hof’s book and also have recently started getting Strong First emails regarding the Second Wind program. Are these two programs at odds with one another? Or are they two sides of the same coin? Thanks!

Curious about this myself. I’m a big fan of Wim Hof breathing for recovery and really curious about what Second Wind would add to this.

I’m a beginner with regards to breath work. I just started reading Wim Hof’s book and also have recently started getting Strong First emails regarding the Second Wind program. Are these two programs at odds with one another? Or are they two sides of the same coin? Thanks!
As someone who attended to SW, having some experience with Buteyko and who practices Wim Hof breathing several times per week I can say that the theory of Wim Hof is pretty much the opposite from the theory of Pavel and his Second Wind course. With Wim Hof it‘s all about overbreathing/hyperventilation and THEN doing the breath holds. Pavel‘s theory is that this is a bad thing.
You can read about it:

I still practice Wim Hof breathing because of it lets me sleep like a baby and I love that deep, deep relaxation I experience when I do it. But to be honest, it MAY not be the most healthy thing to do on a daily basis in high doses. But I am no scientist.

Although a delicate and highly subjective question, do you think the course is worth the asking price? I'm still not done with The Oxygen Advantage book and probably have some material in there to keep me busy for some time.

Pavel warns that hyperventilation (or excessive O2) acts as a poison. But, the dose makes the poison, and I believe that the drastic effect of hyperventilation is supposedly what could promote some of the health benefits that are claimed to be caused by Wim Hof breathing. However, keep in mind that is is just one part of the Wim Hof method: For example, you are supposed to relax befor and after the hyperventilation, and you are also supposed to use cold and employ a positive mindset, among other things.

I think Wim Hof breathing is a serious stressor - but as with all stressors, one that might just trigger the right adaptations in the body. I guess for Pavel to be convinced of the Wim Hof method, we would need some more research on it. But I am not Pavel, so what the heck do I know :)

Really looking forward to watching the Second Wind Express vids :)

Although a delicate and highly subjective question, do you think the course is worth the asking price? I'm still not done with The Oxygen Advantage book and probably have some material in there to keep me busy for some time.
It‘s very subjective. But only watching the videos without getting the manual I think it‘s overpriced. I enjoyed the live event, I enjoyed the presentation from Pavel, but I took so much from the manual and for me this is the true gold. But that‘s me.

I would suggest to finish reading ‘The Oxygen Advantage‘ and go from there.

Pavel warns that hyperventilation (or excessive O2) acts as a poison. But, the dose makes the poison, and I believe that the drastic effect of hyperventilation is supposedly what could promote some of the health benefits that are claimed to be caused by Wim Hof breathing. However, keep in mind that is is just one part of the Wim Hof method: For example, you are supposed to relax befor and after the hyperventilation, and you are also supposed to use cold and employ a positive mindset, among other things.

I think Wim Hof breathing is a serious stressor - but as with all stressors, one that might just trigger the right adaptations in the body. I guess for Pavel to be convinced of the Wim Hof method, we would need some more research on it. But I am not Pavel, so what the heck do I know :)

Really looking forward to watching the Second Wind Express vids :)
I love the idea of getting adaptations by being exposed to a stressor some times. Very interesting explanation. There won‘t be an answer to this if you watch the online videos. But it would be a nice discussion with people that know more about breathing than I do.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom