all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Self Confidence

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
What good is confidence? It's better to be cautious and alert, I think. Being overbearing and proud will just get you into trouble.

My lack of confidence in my knowledge makes me study.

My lack of confidence in my health and body image makes me keep to S&S.

My lack of confidence in friendships makes me maintain them.

I think confidence is bad.

What good is confidence? It's better to be cautious and alert, I think. Being overbearing and proud will just get you into trouble.

I have to contradict here. I do not think that a lack of confidence is what should you keep on going. Of course being confident does not mean being vain and arrogant. But self love is crucial and can make more generous and giving towards other people. Confodence not meant and lived in the sense of boldness.

If you lack confidence then you simply never have the courage to try something new or being able to trust yourself enough to solve problems. Lets say that your friends are bad for you do you still keep them because you lack confidence to get new friends that would be better for you?

I like the above, but not quite to the point that confidence is outright bad. You should have confidence that comes from knowing everybody else is dealing with their own issues too - and in some cases actually overcoming many of them. And you are not all that different from any of them. After that I'd say trust is high on the list, in others and yourself. Well earned confidence is not easy to come by but is a powerful elixir.

For myself when having troubles I just break it down, "what is my purpose right now?" and stay with it. Do the best you can and accept your own shortcomings just as you would overlook or accept them in a good friend. You have to at least be your own buddy. And tackle your shortcomings just as you would encourage a buddy to do so. Conditional on the honest attempt rather than any sort of hard-line metric.

If the confidence is rooted in reality, I can see its use, but if it's a false sense of confidence or competence, it isn't doing anyone any good.

I'd rather lack confidence in my appearance and therefore workout rather than have confidence in my appearance and remain unfit, for example.

@Kozushi, from reading your past posts & discussions, I don't feel you lack confidence. You seem quite proud of your accomplishments. Is that a bad thing?

"My lack of confidence in my knowledge makes me study" If you lacked confidence you wouldnt spend your time with studying at all. If you study it means you want to learn new skills and getting new skills means you can do things you couldnt before you had these skills. And also why study at all if you dont truly belive you can learn? Spending time to learn something requires some level of confidence.

I think there is a huge difference between terms like confidence and things like arrogance and braggadocio, and the like. A person can be supremely confident, yet still be humble. Also being confident in your abilities does not mean that one has to abandon caution, and awareness, and learning. Quite to the contrary actually in many cases I can think of.

EDIT: Mind you, false confidence can get you dead in a hurry in some circumstances

I think there is a huge difference between terms like confidence and things like arrogance and braggadocio, and the like. A person can be supremely confident, yet still be humble. Also being confident in your abilities does not mean that one has to abandon caution, and awareness, and learning. Quite to the contrary actually in many cases I can think of.

EDIT: Mind you, false confidence can get you dead in a hurry in some circumstances
Are you refering to the term hubris?

I suppose so...
That would be another term to describe arrogance or possibly unjustified confidence. In general terms hubris is usually considered to have negative connotations.

Pumping up your confidence artificially means you are getting confident about nothing, which is false confidence.

Getting rid of false confidence leaves real confidence and will lead to more sensible decisions.

An example of false confidence on my part was thinking once I could walk 70km in one day (from Toronto to Dundas, Ontario). I made it 50km and then couldn't walk for 2 weeks at all!

I remember being confident as a teenager that even if I didn't brush my teeth I'd get no cavities.

I was proven wrong by cavities.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom