all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Semester goals

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just to pose another option, I’d actually take a look at Tactical Barbell for some ideas. The boosk you want are the third edition (strength) and probably Tactical Barbell 2: Conditioning. (Plus TB Mass Protocol if muscle really becomes the focus). They’re all pretty cheap for Kindle.

Basically, you have two-, three- and four-day strength templates to choose from, each day with a few key lifts, and then slot the conditioning around it. Its designed for barbell training (clue’s in the name) but people very successfully use it with kettlebells and callisthenics. It’s percentage-based, but with KBs and BW you calculate your percentages of rep maxes instead of 1RM.

Without knowing your preferred exercises, I’d be looking at Operator (three days) or Zulu (four days) templates. With the latter, you could pop the swings in after the strength training as the sessions won’t be too long. People have also used S&S as their separate conditioning days, in which case use Operator template to focus just on strength/size separately.

The key will be eating enough if you want size but you’ll likely find that you like what you see in the mirror regardless.

If you consider basic/common strength training, generally, you build a base of muscular endurance (train to train), you then build muscles in a hypertrophy phase (train to train), then achieve the potential of that muscle with a strength cycle (train to perform) before power work (peak).
That makes a lot of sense.
I read Dan John's article "Things are going so well, help me screw them up" in which he recommends the progression of Simple-ROP-TTC or Sinister. Since I don't know that much about training programming I figured I'd be a good progression, which it undoubtedly is, don't get me wrong, but it's not the thing I need right now

Just to pose another option, I’d actually take a look at Tactical Barbell for some ideas.
I thought about that, too. I ran Operator before with barbells and liked it, though it's tough for me to imagine going about it with BW, doing precisely 3x27 pushups or example doesn't sound right in my head, idk. Maybe I'm missing something

I thought about that, too. I ran Operator before with barbells and liked it, though it's tough for me to imagine going about it with BW, doing precisely 3x27 pushups or example doesn't sound right in my head, idk. Maybe I'm missing something
Yeah you'd use a harder variation or add some weight to it, since you want to build some muscle. One-arm pushups, handstand pushups, dips/chins with added weight, pistols, etc. Make them difficult or heavy enough that they're an 8-10RM and you'll land right in right in the sweet spot for strength and hypertrophy.

Editing to add: take an example of one-arm pushups. Say you have a 10RM. On a 70% day you'll do 3-5 sets of 7; 80% day you'll do 3-5 sets of 8; 90%, 3-5 sets of 9; and so on. Works a treat.

As you're wanting to get your press strength up far enough to make the 24kg usable, I'd seriously consider using handstand pushups or pike pushups in whatever program you use.

Last edited:

As you're wanting to get your press strength up far enough to make the 24kg usable, I'd seriously consider using handstand pushups or pike pushups in whatever program you use.

Or just some push ups to start with, which I think might be more suitable based on what we know of the athlete.

Or just some push ups to start with, which I think might be more suitable based on what we know of the athlete.
I took his example of 3x27 pushups at face value, but given the stage he's starting at, he'll gain strength quickly with whatever calisthenics exercises he chooses. He'll be able to use pike pushups fairly quickly, I would think.

Without a 16kg or 20kg with which to work up to the 24kg for pressing, incorporating something akin to a vertical (upside down) press will help get him there, along with some push press practice.

I came upon this video Advanced Bodyweight Training for Size and Performance - The Bioneer
(the link is to the article format of said video, including the later referred to PDF workout plan) and this in combination with heavy swings seems like a good point for me to start. It's a calisthenics program, push-core-legs-pull-off-full body-off
My idea was to add push presses on press and fb days and swings/cleans on pull and leg days. Possibly have to dile down the calisthenics exercises on the given days

Last edited:
Yes. And exactly as described in Bluejeffs following post.

If you consider basic/common strength training, generally, you build a base of muscular endurance (train to train), you then build muscles in a hypertrophy phase (train to train), then achieve the potential of that muscle with a strength cycle (train to perform) before power work (peak).

Now that’s not pureblood StrongFirst -that’s just basic sports science. You can do this with StrongFirst through a push press / banded pull up / swings “substituted” RoP, then a run of stricter RoP and maybe finish up with Soju and Tuba?

I just don’t think that TS is in your goals of you’re honest with yourself. You say semester, so you’re young? Student? You want to build some muscle but you also want to subscribe to SF principles (good on you, you’ve done some reading). TS is a desired standard round here as a gateway drug to other programmes. But honestly, train for what you want. You want to get jacked with kettlebells and build some traps, lats, and be able to do something with that muscle? Don’t do S&S.

Also don’t skip the swings, high intensity and high Rep swings are magic. It’s like a deadlift, and Real Men Deadlift (poster I saw at 16, been occupying free space in my mind for a long time) - the movement is full body. You’ll get bigger in the right place and stop getting bigger in the wrong ones.

Do you recommend high rep swings for hyperthrophy? What rep range would you consider Swings for Hyperthropy and do you know a program like this? Maybe Geoff’s Swing hard? Thanks a lot! In advance :)

Excellent and they require less equipment..

When you get to a level you can do them for multiple sets from a deficit and up your food intake, don't be surprised if your shirt gets tight :)
Looking forward to it, haha!

So my takeaways is to follow this program with the subtle changes I mentioned?

Do you recommend high rep swings for hyperthrophy? What rep range would you consider Swings for Hyperthropy and do you know a program like this? Maybe Geoff’s Swing hard? Thanks a lot! In advance :)
Yes. ROP. Roll the dice, go for minutes.

I like the 10K swing challenge. But that’s not going to go alongside the other recommendations.

Reactions: Ege
I will always add my +1 to pike pushups. They definitley made my shirt tighter. More people should do them ;)

I will only add that you will get the most benefit from them by keeping the forearms verticle throughout the movement (try not to let them flare out to the sides or drift backwards) and by bringing the head in front of the hands so your hands and head make a "tripod" at the bottom of the move.

Don't know what that is.

But if hypertrophy is the goal, starting at 3 hard sets per exercise, 3x a week, and working up to 5 sets by week 6, then de-load, is pretty standard fare.
Thats an efficient summary. Would those 3 hard sets be using a weight equivalent to 5-8 Technical Rep Max or lower ? Any recommended reading here or other websites to better understand hypertrophy programs please ?

Thats an efficient summary. Would those 3 hard sets be using a weight equivalent to 5-8 Technical Rep Max or lower ? Any recommended reading here or other websites to better understand hypertrophy programs please ?

Any rep range in the 5-30 (or even higher) range is what the research currently supports as beneficial for hypertrophy, as long as the sets are sufficiently hard.

Good reading here:

Only speaking from my own experience. I have achieved some muscle gains from doing S+S (I'm into my 14th week, now close to Timeless Simple) , I've decided to stick with S+S until I achieve Simple, and Timeless Simple with 40kg. I think it depends upon your individual goals, if you want to get bulked then S+S is probably not for you, but I don't agree with the notion that S+S will not achieve some level of hypertrophy, especially once you get to work with the bigger bells. I do add bar work into my S+S regime, chin ups etc. it just fits nicely with the limited time I have available to train (once family and career enter your life and time becomes a precious commodity). The Prometheus Protocol mentioned by Adachi looks very interesting btw.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom