all posts post new thread

Old Forum September 10,000

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Johnny Bird

Level 3 Valued Member
Today will be day 3 of another 10,000 swing run for me.

I did one a couple of months ago - started off unable to complete the 10/15/25/50 rep scheme for all 5 sets (let alone any strength work in between) - but halfway through I was "comfortably" hitting those numbers with the 24.

Then I spent a couple of months working up to: (5L/5R reverse getups + 25L/25R/25L/25R swings)X5 with the 16 - alternating with training forward and backward crawls and handstands - and random rest days. Ended up with some pretty brutal deltoid bursitis for which I'm on a 2 week prednisone burst. Not enough rest plus there was some irritation from a burpee challenge I did earlier this year. The hell of it is, I was really getting somewhere with the swings and getups... Maybe the reps were too high and the weight too light?

So after a 10 day rest, I'm back with the swings which fortunately have no effect on the shoulder pain.

I'm using this 10,000 as an intro to some heavy swingin' this fall/winter.

Maybe it's time to get a 40kg?

Not at all a bad way to go--two of my trainees are going to begin the 10K challenge tomorrow morning (one of whom is a 10K veteran, and I think she'll be ready to handle a heavier bell for her regular swing work come October).  I'll be monitoring them both each step of the way though, and they'll both have heart rate monitors strapped on so that I can see just how hard they're pushing, and so they can learn when to hit the next set.  For my newbie, I'm confident that she's going to like what the month will do for her body comp and her PFT run time (we've taken our time to polish her swing and get in a solid two months of easing into higher reps, and she's demonstrated that she can handle getting started).

For when it's time to move up in KB size, I like the wisdom from Dan John's (hi, Coach!) article on T-Nation, which advises that if we feel as though we could handle a second workout that day afterwards, we're "underbelled."  For my vet, I'll have the next size up cued up and ready for her, since she's made leaps and bounds and somedays seems to be swinging her current work weight like it's a toy.

This is the stuff that makes getting up before the sun worth it.

Hey. 10000 is great program. I did it once but my technique wasn't as good as it should be. I'm working on my Swing technique every day, so next time 10k will be much more better.Personally I improved my Swing from 24kg one-handed to 32kg one-handed in one month working on S&S.By the way it is great program. So, if You looking bigger size of the bell mayby S&S will helps?

I've morphed up to 1000 1 arm 16kg swings - 500 per arm....

9.8.14/day 5 - (25L-25R-25L-25R)X5 - 500 / 250 per arm - also started using a looser movement and biomechanical breathing pattern

9.11.14/day 8 - (25L-25R-25L-25R)X7 + 25L-25R - 750 / 375 per arm

9.12.14/day 9 - (25L-25R)X5 -  mobility/club recovery - repeat 4X - 1000 / 500 per arm

Not really the Dan John thing, but in the same vein. Each set takes about 7-8 minutes + 2 minutes recovery, so I'm done in about 40-45 minutes.

The sets of 250 just sort of happened the first time I tried 1000 - I got to the end of the first 100 and thought, "what if I just kept going?" The answer is that I like splitting 1000 into 4 sets instead of 10!

I'll be out of town and away from kbs from 9.26 - 10.1 - so, maybe I can get above 15000 for September before then.

That's a lot of swings!

So at the end were you using the 16kg exclusively?

Were you using the 24kg last time you did it? Sounds like it from your earlier thread.

How do you feel regarding the 16kg vs. the 24kg?

What results did you see (body comp, strength, conditioning, grip, etc.)?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason: Yes - I switched to a 16kg comp bell on day 5 - in June I used a 24kg classic bell.

With the 24kg, I was doing 2 arm swings - with the 16kg, 1 arm swings....

Lower weight bell / 1 arm instead of 2 / breathing in at the top in stead of out - so some different parameters.

I'm rehabbing some shoulder bursitis, so I can't press right now... I switched to 1 arm swings to increase the resistance for each hand - I increased the reps to 1000 because it sounded like fun.

I'm working on another personal challenge with 1000 16kg swings per day - and may look to move up to a 20kg within the next couple of months.

As my shoulders mend up, I look forward to getups making a return as well!

Also - as you might imagine - my grip and all that other stuff has improved quite a bit. I lost 16lbs of fat (while on prednisone, I might add!) in a month or so - dropped my crazy blood sugar by 100 points - and really improved my callous pattern...

Great - thanks for the details!

I've been on S&S. It's the only program I've been on for almost a year, but my workouts have been sporadic, and I've missed a full few weeks here and there, as well as only getting in 2-3 workouts some other weeks. Despite that, I've made good progress.

However, I've been thinking about doing a 10,000 swing workout, just as a change and body comp jump start for a month. I'm not sure if I'll have the time to get in the full 500 swings every workout though.

Thanks again!

Jason,

I performed the 10,000 swing challenge in August as written with the 24kg.  I was able to keep most of the strength reps in between sets of swings, sometimes I had to change to a bodyweight exercise.  At times I had to divide the set of 50 up to small sets with short breaks between if I was getting gased.

I noticed a significant change in body comp, didn't take measurements so it is subjective but I dropped inches around the waist, abs were much more noticible at the end, better definition in chest and back.

Strength wise I certainly maintained if not increased my strength.  I was on a heavy strength training program before I started and had moved my deadlift 1RM to 455lbs and was able to start into a new cycle of strength training this month after doing S&S all last month and didn't miss a beat on my reps and sets of deadlifts working off the new 1RM.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike.

I recently had an entire month with no workouts at all. I just started back on S&S a couple of weeks ago and have found I didn't really lose much in the way of  strength or conditioning.

So, knowing that plus your experience (and others I've read), it seems I should be able to do do the 10,000 swing challenge and be able to come back to S&S without much loss.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom