all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Seriously, what does lifting weights do for our health???

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The reason I'm lifting weights is on the blind faith that it will give me a long, healthy, happy life. I don't actually need the kind of herculean strength I'm developing through S&S and the other Strongfirst programmes and exercises I'm doing. (I'm never planning to stop though as besides being convinced that lifting weights does indeed grant long life and prosperity, it's fun and I most certainly do indeed like being strong!)

Can anyone confirm what the health benefits really are for us besides mere "strength" and "strength endurance"???

Am I really making myself strong against disease and degeneration, or am I just making myself "strong".
Kozushi, I would suggest picking up a copy of Strong Medicine by Chris Hardy and Marty Gallagher, I think it has the answers to most if not all of your questions. It did for me and I find myself going back to it frequently. There's a ton of information in there and much of it concerns how exercise or lack thereof affects the body, how the immune system plays a role, etc.

I work with weights because it makes me strong, gives me stamina, makes me healthy, but above all ... makes me feel good :)

I and a couple friends have all been directly hit by cars. One friend of mine was hit by a tractor trailer on the side of the interstate. I have heard doctors comment that survival was likely associated to some degree with muscle mass.

For people who don't lift appropriate weight, with safe technique, and solid plan for progress, flexibility, and recovery the weight wins. It beats them down and tears them up. People who don't focus on the basics and try to progress too fast get hurt, and it adversely affects their health.

The reason I'm lifting weights is on the blind faith that it will give me a long, healthy, happy life. I don't actually need the kind of herculean strength I'm developing through S&S and the other Strongfirst programmes and exercises I'm doing. (I'm never planning to stop though as besides being convinced that lifting weights does indeed grant long life and prosperity, it's fun and I most certainly do indeed like being strong!)

Can anyone confirm what the health benefits really are for us besides mere "strength" and "strength endurance"???

Am I really making myself strong against disease and degeneration, or am I just making myself "strong".
in the book "Biomarkers" two Dr's decide to discover which ten biomarkers slow down or reverse the aging process the most

Number one on the list was muscle mass
Number two was strength

these two components are THE most important factors, they realized to growing old well. and staying as young as possible as long as possible.
Sarcopenia, the natural ( IF one doesn't weight train)age related loss of muscle mass will deteriorate you fast if you don't do something to stop if.
This whole " I've fallen and I can't get up" is real, common and completely unnecessary if one strength trains

AND as we lose that muscle as we age , fast twitch fibers are lost at THREE TIMES the rate of slow twitch fibers> Nothing trains power and fast twitch better than the simple kettlebell swing And safe too

Good enough for me :)Biomarkers

in the book "Biomarkers" two Dr's decide to discover which ten biomarkers slow down or reverse the aging process the most

Number one on the list was muscle mass
Number two was strength

these two components are THE most important factors, they realized to growing old well. and staying as young as possible as long as possible.
Sarcopenia, the natural ( IF one doesn't weight train)age related loss of muscle mass will deteriorate you fast if you don't do something to stop if.
This whole " I've fallen and I can't get up" is real, common and completely unnecessary if one strength trains

AND as we lose that muscle as we age , fast twitch fibers are lost at THREE TIMES the rate of slow twitch fibers> Nothing trains power and fast twitch better than the simple kettlebell swing And safe too

Good enough for me :)Biomarkers
It pretty much takes away health worries. I'm not getting a heart attack nor really aging much if I keep up my kettlebelling. And this can go on for a long long long time.

It pretty much takes away health worries. I'm not getting a heart attack nor really aging much if I keep up my kettlebelling. And this can go on for a long long long time.
There are plenty of examples of people that are really fit, yet still unfortunately get nailed by a cardiac event, or other illness. Health and fitness are not necessarily the same thing. If a person is genetically predisposed to heart disease or other health issues then all bets are off. Intelligent training and diet and other lifestyle choices however may lower the risk factors in some cases. Just my opinion.

There are plenty of examples of people that are really fit, yet still unfortunately get nailed by a cardiac event, or other illness. Health and fitness are not necessarily the same thing. If a person is genetically predisposed to heart disease or other health issues then all bets are off. Intelligent training and diet and other lifestyle choices however may lower the risk factors in some cases. Just my opinion.
Yes.
Not waiting until your flu or flu-like infection is cured before continuing your training, especially things that lead to a high heart rate, can have a lasting negative effect on your heart muscle.
That's one of the reasons why seemingly fit persons suddenly die of heart attacks and things like that.
Intelligent training
That's the best way to avoid this.
Rest until your body is fully healed and don't train through flus and colds.

Lifting barbells, swinging kettlebells, bench pressing dumbbells... all of them speak volumes of one's commitment

Hello,

I also noticed that weight lifting makes me more confident.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Good point about rest. Also overdoing it is not healthy. Slow and steady and carefully does it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom