all posts post new thread

Barbell Seriously, what exercises does StrongFirst advocate for Dumbbells???

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I'm sure StrongFirst does have recommended exercises for dumbbells - what are they???

Get up, goblet squat, swing, clean, press, and snatch. What ever you can do with a KB, can be done with a DB.

We prefer the kettlebell for most things. Speaking for myself, I don't need a dumbbell if I have a barbell and kettlebells.

I don't agree with @Geoff Chafe completely. Some things are ok w a dumbbell but the kettlebell is really superior, IMHO, for just about everything.

-S-

The only thing I would prefer a dumbbell for over a kettlebell would be the bench press.

Edit: maybe one arm rows

I like side presses with dumbells. It seems more agreeable to my shoulder and I like that the weight is adjustable.

We prefer the kettlebell for most things. Speaking for myself, I don't need a dumbbell if I have a barbell and kettlebells.

I don't agree with @Geoff Chafe completely. Some things are ok w a dumbbell but the kettlebell is really superior, IMHO, for just about everything.

-S-
I'd have to use a lighter kettlebell though for some of the moves, right? The 32kg is too heavy for me to do some of the moves like the bent press.

@Steve Freides I respectfully agree the kettlebell is the better tool for most exercises. If you do not have access to kettlebells a dumbbell will work, or to give a different stimulus.

The dumbbell is more challenging for most "kettlebell" exercises because the weight is not offset pulling the arm back when overhead, and the lack of momentum from the offset weight. A DB get up or bent press are just two exercises that are more challenging than with a KB.

The kettlebell is a tool. For realworld strength we have to be adaptable and flexible in our training. Do not limit yourself.

@Kozushi Do you have access kettlebells?

Yes, I have lots of kettlebells. I was just wondering if I was perhaps missing out on something by not using dumbbells, since they seem so popular.

Yes, I have lots of kettlebells. I was just wondering if I was perhaps missing out on something by not using dumbbells, since they seem so popular.
This is, IMHO, a classic flaw in thinking about training. No one does every exercise; everyone is missing out on something, everything is a compromise. The only things I've ever used them for in my own training is bench press with an extended range of motion. I believe, for most people most of the time, a few kettlebells are a better solution.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

This is, IMHO, a classic flaw in thinking about training. No one does every exercise; everyone is missing out on something, everything is a compromise. The only things I've ever used them for in my own training is bench press with an extended range of motion. I believe, for most people most of the time, a few kettlebells are a better solution.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-
Based on my enthusiasm for the Strong First programmes, I have two 16kgs, a 24kg, a 32kg and a 40kg kettlebells. I've been able to two hand swing the 40 kg for 10X10, but it's otherwise too heavy still for me to do anything with. Since I hurt my back last week, I'm working with the 16 and 24kg kettlebells.

As I mentioned in another thread, can we get you to work with an SFG in person or get you to post video here? Let's try to understand why you got injured.

-S-

As I mentioned in another thread, can we get you to work with an SFG in person or get you to post video here? Let's try to understand why you got injured.

-S-
I wouldn't call it "injured" - it's just a bit too sore to keep doing the same exercises at the moment. I'll get back to the S&S routine probably in about a week. I have a weak lower left back - something a bit weird with my physique I guess. I've not infrequently gotten sore there since I was fully grown as a teenager. In this case, I decided to try to get back to doing the entire 10X10 swing sequence one handed with the 32kg kettlebell whereas I had not done S&S for two months while I was experimenting with Naked Warrior only. It's just me being dumb. I knew what I was doing was risky and I guess I proved that it was risky - hahaha! I'm fine.

I am terribly enthusiastic about Strong First and I would be interested in attending a seminar, providing the price is such that my wife won't leave me for the indulgence. :) I live near Toronto, Canada.

@Kozushi, got it.

Our Kettlebell Course - listings are here

StrongFirst Kettlebell Course Schedule

The course is $299 and it's a full day long. There's one in November that's about 2-1/2 hours from you by car in Victor, NY, US - have a look at the entire schedule to see what might work for you.

You should also see a listing of instructors near you on the right side of the screen.

-S-

For whatever it's worth, I have numerous kettlebells in my home gym and a couple of adjustable Olympic dumbbell bars. In certain moves such as the dumbbell clean and press, I find that I have to use lighter weight than doing the same movement with a kettlebell. Dumbbells don't sit comfortably in the rack the way kettlebells do and it effects my ability to press them. Not to say that dumbbell work is bad, quite contrary, it's just that they are different.

Mileage may vary.

@Kozushi, got it.

Our Kettlebell Course - listings are here

StrongFirst Kettlebell Course Schedule

The course is $299 and it's a full day long. There's one in November that's about 2-1/2 hours from you by car in Victor, NY, US - have a look at the entire schedule to see what might work for you.

You should also see a listing of instructors near you on the right side of the screen.

-S-
I noticed on Amazon there is a Strongfirst Foundation of Strength video that says it teaches dumbbell and sandbag exercises. Is it alright to ask here what those exercises are? It says on the info page about the product that it teaches deadlift, squat, and press for the barbell and swing, getup and squat for the kettlebell. I'm just super curious as to what Strongfirst developed for dumbbells and sandbags.

@Kozushi, there is a trailer for this product on YouTube. Have you watched that yet? It's a minute or two long.

-S-

@Kozushi For what it's worth, I like to vary my carries by working in heavy dumbbells to challenge grip especially with Farmer Carries. The dumbbell handle tends to lean towards the "slick" side compared to kettlebells so that extra challenge is good IMO.

I find myself using dumbbells over kettlebells simply because there's a wider variety of them at most gyms. If I'd like a very specific weight for a renegade row, or a weighted pistol for instance -- there's almost always a pair of dumbbells that have roughly the weight I'm looking for. There's usually less kettlebells around, and rarely are there pairs of the weight you're looking for.

I know that's kind of a superficial reason, but sometimes gyms in that area are like that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom