all posts post new thread

Bodyweight SF Bodyweight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I'm branching more into bodyweight, keeping S&S of course! That isn't going anywhere!

For the SFB certification, these are taught as foundational moves:

• The Push: One-Arm One-Leg Pushup, Wall-Supported Handstand Pushup
  • The Pull: Tactical Pull-up, Hanging Leg Raise, Front Lever
  • The Squat: Pistol
The site of course references far more moves than this: dips, hangs, skin the cat etc...

I can do the one arm one leg pushup, so I could actually pass the test for this course, which is nice to know. I don't do snatches much and can't currently pass the SFG test in spite of 99% of my strength coming from S&S (well, judo must play a role too). This is beside the point though for now...

I still think it would be great if there were some kind of article or guide for SF bodyweight training beyond "naked" bodyweight training with zero equipment. Naked Warrior mentions that the big advantage of bodyweight training is its convenience. I agree.

I reread the relevant parts of NW today to get a sense of Pavel-approved add-on moves. He says that NW is perfectly good for getting "very strong" providing that you do a "big pull" exercise with a weight to accompany it. He also points out regarding bodyweight proficiency that you can get to your goals faster with the help of weights. For instance, I can't do the front lever any more on the bar, but when I was doing regular PTTP style deadlifts between 340 and 370lbs I could score levers on the bar - a bit bent but not much. I think also for all the old bodyweight feats of strength by the old masters, I suspect their heavy iron lifting contributed a lot to them!

NW makes the point that you are going to need a big pull with a weight to get the lower back strong (and some other parts). Makes perfect sense, and it made me pick up the barbell that I hadn't lifted for a few months since running the cycling program. I could pick it up at 340lbs no problem for a few reps.

This reminded me of why it's important to buy the books. The little pieces of advice about combining NW with other things at the end of the book, how and why, came in handy today. When I read the book years ago that stuff didn't mean anything to me but now it does.

I can do the one arm one leg pushup with my right arm for singles. My left goes down only half way. I'll get this stuff back into gear.

You'll notice quite a few folks who read Pavel's books two and three times and get new things from them with each reading. He does not waste words, and rereading is absolutely the right thing to do.

-S-
Today I reviewed everything about the snatch and high pull in the ETK book.
I misunderstood the snatch as just a swing that ends overhead, and it isn't that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom