all posts post new thread

Old Forum SF influenced T-nation article

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rickard

Level 5 Valued Member
It's like reading snippets of Pavels various works.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/kettlebells_for_size_and_strength

I wouldn't call this an SF influenced article.  More of a Mike Mahler influenced article.  Mahler has been the one talking about double kettlebells for size and strength.  He actually has media with this title.  Yes, he learned from Pavel but took it to a different avenue.  Second, Sergio is an RKC, not SF.  Did he receive it before or after Pavel left?  Finally he does mention Pavel in the LiveSpill.  Why does he need to mention Pavel?  He didn't mention Valery either, or other kettlebell teachers.   Good article though even though it's something I've known all along.  It's nice to see it more mainstream

strength is a glass

Donnie Thompson

full-body tension

drive your heels into the ground

screw your feet into the ground

crush the handles

lat tension

belly breath

pull yourself into the squat

grunt

tight glutes

breathing behind the shield

actively pull the kettlebells down from the press

hip snap

bracing

barbell lifts degrade with reps... kettlebell cleans and snatches get better...

Now, I may be wrong on one or two points, but I believe this is all straight from Pavel or his close colleagues.  No need to mention Fedorenko, since the article is in the hardstyle vein and not GS.  The DVD "More Russian Kettlebell Challenges" is from 2003 and covers double cleans, front squats, and presses.

What Rob said -- credit where it's due.

I read it last night and thought the same thing as many of you. Could've sworn he even mentioned RoP but when I looked for it now I couldn't find it so I guess not.

I wasn't too impressed with this article, as it's somewhat incomplete. The author went into great detail explaining the lifts and reasons for implementing them, but conveniently left out programming details? How are mainstream gym goers supposed to use this information?

The article sounds like it drew a lot of inspiration from Pavel and Mahler.

SF/RKC influenced. I guess both systems are built by Pavel to some extent (and probably by the people he brought with him to SF). Pavel influenced at least.

Was a good read none the less. He should have pointed people to the direction of Pavels work if they wanted to read more or Mike Mahlers...

Hmmm, a kettlebell article on T- nation by an RKC/SFG. 

Could he have had a better reference list - yes.  But,who that has questioned how good the content is or knows it all or wonders how to apply the content has taken the initiative to put their selves out there publicly and devote their time to share information in a manner where they aren't making a buck off of it??  Anybody?  Just cricket chirping - I guess.

Brendon, if you want free stuff, go to Mike Mahler's website. You'll even find articles on using kettlebells for size an strength, with effective programs.

Also, why do you expect people to dedicate a large part of their lives to something and then give their knowledge and experience away without making a buck off it? Do you expecting something for nothing?

I'm not in the market for free stuff, and if I were Mike Mahler's stuff would be far enough down my list that I'd probably lose interest before I got to it.  Not that his stuff isn't good, but not my cup of tea.

What people do with their own time is their call.  But when peoples value systems are based off the all mighty dollar, I see little value in those people.  I find it sad that someone in this community wrote an article for t-nation and is being picked apart here (which I can't recall seeing anyone that has questioned the article being published over there, or anywhere else).

I expect to get what I give, to receive what I invest.  I also expect people to do what they do.  Some will contribute the greater knowledge, some will take, and some will just complain about everyone else.

Not impressed. Pavel and MM weren’t mentioned/given proper credit, and that there was no disclaimer(s) letting the average gym goer know that doubles work is for advanced KB users /to seek proper instruction before attempting.

We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Pavel, and MM has done a lot of work concerning the specific use of KBs for "Size and Strength".

Ok, Brandon, fair enough. Next time you rock up to work, explain to your boss that you place little value on people being financially rewarded for their time, effort and intellectual property, and by logical extension, you do not wish to be paid for your work either, that is, for your time, effort and intellectual property.  Not gonna happen is it? Yet, this is exactly what you expect of  authors and instructors.

Also, if someone is going to write something and publish it, I would expect there to be some unique or innovative content within that work. But everything in that t-nation article has been covered years before. Yes, the article is written well with exhaustive technique point considerations, but that's where it stops. I expect more from an RKC/SFG instructor. A lot more. And no, I'm not having a go at the author, merely that the article, even with the best of intentions, has some major flaws, and doesn't reflect well on the kettlebell community.

Andrew- Okay, first off I don't know where this whole notion of me expecting "Free" Crap is.  My original post stated that he put in 'his' time and 'his' hard work to put the article together with no other motivation - he was 'freely' contributing to the body of knowledge.  All I said was that he isn't making a buck off of it.  If that were an article he charged people for it is a different story.  But he freely gave of his time, and people are bashing the article.  My boss knows very well how I feel about those that are financially motivated. 

As far as unique and innovative - Pavel didn't create the double lifts (or the single lifts).  Mike Mahler didn't create the double lifts.  Geoff Neupert - which no one has mentioned regarding double bells, and his KB Muscle is ridiculously good- didn't create the double bell lifts.  In fact, I don't know a single person that has created any exercise.  All those people are being remembered this memorial day - they came WAY before us.  All Pavel, Mahler, and Neupert did was put their little spin on how to program these lifts.  For an expert like you, I'm sure that article was crap.  But for those new to the KB community, there is value in it.  For those really interested, the best thing it can do is spark interest to look further which will lead them to StrongFirst and Pavel.  I also do believe I mentioned that his reference list could have been better.

And by the way - if you want more of this dialogue I expect a check for $225.  I freely give to educate those that seek out my guidance and advice.  I charge those that want stuff.  $225 is a steal for an hour of my time - the hospital and the University I work for charge way more for my time.

Don't take it personally. Im not having a go at you. I simply fail to understand why you would defend someone contributing a substandard article. Just because its given freely doesn't change things, at least not by much.

My annoyance with the article stems from the lack of any mention of programming. Considering the amount of stupid things I see going on in gyms, it would be prudent to include further instructions as to how the lifts could be implemented. But again, there have been numerous texts outlining kettlebell lifting for size and strength, so why present another article without adding anything new, much like the countless "Westside" articles?

I get that this article exposes kettlebell lifting to a whole bunch of new people, some who may be inquisitive enough to seek out further information, but at least give credit where credit is due. No,Pavel, Mahler nor Neupert invented the lifts, but they certainly popularised them- especially Pavel.

It should also be retitled, as it was misleading. Kind of like an article titled, "Dumbbells for size and strength", then going onto explain technique and then not much else.

You can have your cheque for $225, soon as I get my cheque for $1,275,000. My all-knowingness doesn't come cheap- I do have a spaceship that needs regular upkeep.

Anyways, I'm done if you are.

I know Sergio and he is a good guy - its a decent article and if it gets more people interested in KBs and seeking proper instruction then it is a good thing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom