all posts post new thread

Bodyweight SFB Cert

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

alex88

Level 3 Valued Member
Dear Comrades,

I am thinking about getting certifited as a SFB as a personal challange. The cert would take place in june 2017.

Does anyone have any advice on that?

Some questions I have:

-What kind of level should I have to do this besides the oaol push up?
-General advice on strongfirst certs?
-Is a user course really nessesary or can I achieve it without one?

Best regards
Alex

@alex88, if you can, take the course before you take the cert. I believe you get a discount on the cost of the cert equal to the price of the course if you take the cert within 6 months of taking the course - the web site here should have details, and you'll get a good idea what you might need to work on, have the opportunity to ask questions, etc.

-S-

I probably would have gone for this if I had functional cartilage in my knees.

The OAOLPU, the levers and pullups would be a snap for me. I can't squat to save my life though, pistol or otherwise.

Good luck with your training @alex88

Something to keep in mind is that the SFB is an instructor certification. In addition to just physical prowess (the OAOLPU in our case), attendees should also be prepared to demonstrate the ability to absorb the information being presented, and then teach it back to others. Remember, after all; you're going forth afterward to spread the good word and represent an organization. When the team splits everyone up into pairs or groups, take those moments seriously and apply what it is they've been covering with your partners. Hopefully, you'll experience some genuine "a-ha!" moments as you do.

Never forget that quality instructors are a precious commodity. To borrow a line I heard once long ago: "So you can kick butt, terrific. But, can you teach someone else how to kick butt...?" Not just anyone can do that.

Dear @Steve Freides ,
thank you for your advice. Bodyweight courses are done seldomly though. At least in Europe. From what I have seen, the cert comes to Europe roughly half a year. I have spoken to Pavel Macek on Facebook and he told me that they do 1 bodyweight course a year. Therefore I could be unlucky. But, as I am doing this a personal challange, there is no rush. Can you tell me when the next courses will be held?

@pet' thak you for the link. What I understood from the link is, that a course skipps levers and handstand push ups and the teaching part. Is that correct?

@jpetersen, thank you for your inside. I guess I'll have to practice teaching, no doubt about that xD

What I understood from the link is, that a course skipps levers and handstand push ups and the teaching part. Is that correct?

@alex88 I have done the 1-day Bodyweight but not the SFB, and this sounds right. Here's a post I did about the 1-day course, hope that helps. And yes, if you can do that course first, of course do it, because you'll get something like $250 credit towards the cert, so it's definitely worth it cost-wise.

-General advice on strongfirst certs?

The more prepared you are, the more you can soak up and enjoy. So train, practice, have your technique checked, -- try to learn it all before you get there and be ready for your best performance. But even being very prepared, be mentally ready to drop back to zero and re-learn all of the content from the ground up durning the cert weekend.

@Anna C thank you for the link and your advice.
@Steve Freides I was asking because I saw a lot of bodyweight courses in italy last year that were not mentioned on this site. I registered for the newsletter now

@alex88 you may reach out to the Chief SFG, @Karen Smith, either here or on Facebook (I believe she is Coach Karen there) or both - sometimes the scheduling isn't ready to be posted in as timely a manner as we'd like, but I hope that there will be bodyweight certs and course in Italy this year.

-S-

Pro tip: If you'll be certifying in Italy (Vicenza), it might just help to be a Manowar fan, if you weren't already. I have it on good authority that Signore Fabio Zonin and the staff have exquisite musical taste when it comes to the ambient tunes in that particular training facility.

Attachments

• NonPiangere.jpg
    NonPiangere.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 8
Having done the course once and cert twice, I can tell you there are ALWAYS many new insights and things to learn and practice.

Obviously, the best prep is going to depend on your particular situation, but a good starting point is familiarizing yourself with The Naked Warrior book and Karen Smith's articles on the website.

Grease the groove with the main bodyweight skills - pistol, push-ups, pull-ups, handstands, and hollow body holds and take note where you might need the most work.

Yes i can do both.
My current baseline is 5 standard oapu per side and about3 pistols perside.
I acutally have d some trouble with the pistol but i discovered a trick to maintain perfect form last week. Therefore I'll build up my numbers slowly.

On what level do you think I should be?

Practice elevated oaolpu and lots of crawls... Slowly lower the elevation as you get stronger

@305pelusa I discovered that I don't use my abs too much in the bottom position. Therefore I practice dead starts from an elevation to improve this. In addition, this was pretty valueble to me:

I could also post my current programm if you want to

Hello,

It is also important not to use the rebound of your quad on your calf when you initiate the up phase.

Kind regards,

Pet'

You can attend a course if one is available near you, but with your currently baseline you would be more that skilled for the certification. You can either test the OAOLPU at the certification or submit a video to complete the certification within 6 months of attending the cert weekend.

@pet' yes this is also something I struggle with i guess. I am practicing pushing up slowly from a box for that.

@Karen Smith thank you for the nice words. I wont be able to make it to England though. I want to change my job, therefore at the time I'll be a bit busy. Luckly, another one poped up in italy in december. See you there

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom