all posts post new thread

Bodyweight SFB preparation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jef

I am a student of strength.
Elite Certified Instructor
To bodyweight enthusiasts in general, and SBF instructors in particular,

I will attend SFB in December in Italy.
I am curious to hear about the way you, as certified SFB instructors, prepared for the event.

To put things in context, I am familiar with StrongFirst cert/event.
I am currently SFG1; attended SFL, though my weak bench press still prevents me to earn the certification; PlanStrong - excellent experience; I am also a Flexible steel L2 instructor and FMS1.

I will finish a cycle of PlanStrong on bench presses, squats and KB presses the first week of November, then focus only on the SFB prep for the remaining 4 weeks until the cert weekend.
4 weeks may seem little, but StrongFirst is about principles, not tools. I already have a good view of those with SFG, SFL, and two levels of Flexible steel. The 4 weeks are destined to improve the specific skills, not discover the technique of high tension.

The SFB teaches the progression on 6 skills, as shown here: SFB Bodyweight Certification Information
One-Arm One-Leg Pushup, Wall-Supported Handstand Pushup, Tactical Pull-up, Hanging Leg Raise, Front Lever, Pistol.

My plan is not finalized yet, but overall, what I intend to do in November is:

Pistol: I can do solid pistols on both sides. I have tested pistol up to a 16kg KB a few month ago. I am thinking of training them like I would my squat, with a PlanStrong approach, to solidify the bodyweight pistol, but keep progressing with loaded ones. Of course, I won't do any other type of squat during this time.

Tactical pullups: I don't do high rep, so have no xRM, but they are not an issue. I am thinking of training relatively low volume, 3 times a week, sometimes with added weight. Maybe a PlanStrong approach too, although I will not be able to vary intensity much (1RM probably at only 12kg at the moment).

One arm one leg pushup: this is the most important one. I would rather validate the cert on site than by video. :) I tested OAOL push-up today, and got one stable rep each side, but I cannot claim to own them.
I intend to do a GTG approach, doing OAOL and OA2L along the road.
For the remaining three weeks before starting specific SFB preparation, I will also practice planks (One arm one leg, and SFG planks) to gain in stability.

Hanging leg raise: I am not sure. I have not practiced those yet (shame on me). I have Hardstyle abs, though.

Wall-Supported Handstand Pushup, Front Lever: I plan not to train them, and learn properly at the event.

Already certified SFB instructors, people who attended, any thought?

Do you have a OAOLPU video? If you can do that, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. Keep training, GTG the skill, and don't get fat. You'll learn what you need at the course, and it's more about coaching the movement rather than performing them anyway.

Hello,

I am not an instructor, and I did not atted cert /courses.

In what follow, I precise I do not want to lecture anyone here. You are both instructors, far more knowledgeable than me ! However, regarding the front lever, mastering it, even for only 3 to 5 seconds, with perfect form is really difficult. If you do not train it between now and December, this means you'll have 6 months to build it. All the folks I know (inclunding myself) took more than 6 months to get it.

I am pretty sure SF principles and carryover from certain moves (such as pull up, push ups and HLR) can help you to get it faster. Nonetheless, I think some skill and specific work will strongly help you. This can be some kind of "insurance".

In all cases, I wish you plenty of luck to get the SFB ! :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Reactions: jef
The SFB isn't the "gut check" that the SFG is (no dreaded snatch test, for example). If you are not sweating the ability to perform a solid OAOLPU on command, try to view the course through the prism of a teacher. After all, the intention is that upon successfully certifying, you'll be going forth to spread the good word and represent an organization and its methods. Be ready to absorb--jot down copious amounts of notes, and take the moments when you and your partners practice the application of the presented concepts seriously. You may just experience some terrific "a-ha!" moments you can add to your own coaching toolbox.

Never forget, quality instructors are a precious commodity. As someone wiser than myself once put it: "So you can kick butt, terrific--but, can you teach someone else how to kick as much butt?" Not just anyone can do that.

Other than that, if you'll be certifying in Italy at the location I'm suspecting, it might help just a bit to be a fan of Manowar (if you weren't already). If there are finer ambient tunes playing in some other training facility that size anywhere else in the free world, I don't know where they are.

@Machete
I have no video. I did not plan to do the OAOLPU, I went for a plank. But if felt solid, so I thought "why not try a negative and do the plank at the bottom". Of course, at the bottom, I thought "Why not go up?". It did. And then, let's do it on the other side.
Still, I don't want to overdo it. For the next 3 weeks, I am finishing my program of bench press, KB press and squat, with a mix of OAOL planks only here and there.
I will GTG the full move in November.

@pet'
you are right, the front lever is not something easy to master. This is why I intend not to work it, nor the handstand pushup. I want to learn the progression/regression at the cert properly.
Apart for teaching skills, the only requirement for SFB is the OAOLPU.
I do not need to master the other moves myself, but to be able to coach them. :)

@J Petersen
"If you are not sweating the ability to perform a solid OAOLPU on command, try to view the course through the prism of a teacher."
This is the best piece of advice than could be given.
My OAOLPU is not quite settled yet, but having been able to do it yesterday is sure a boost of confidence.
I want to have a minimum of practice of the basic skills (pistol, OAP, pullups) the month leading to the cert exactly for what you say. I do not want to spend the weekend trying to understand the skills, but rather learning how to effectively teach them!
And yes, it is probably the place you think. With Fabio Zonin and Jon Engum.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Quick update for those who answered. I just finished the SFB.
I failed the OAOLPU the first day (so close), but thanks to excellent advice and the right cues, I managed a clean rep today. So I got it!
My feeling is that GTG was a good approach. I would advise most candidates to really own the one arm two legs version, with all the tightness where it should be, because then, lifting one leg is not such a big deal. But if the two legs version is not proper enough, then the OAOLPU will be crappy.

For the rest of the program, it worked well. I was at the right level of practice to be able to learn how to coach bw without struggling to understand the moves myself.

Definitely, the SFB is a must for anybody who is serious about understanding the skill of high tension.

Saw this in your training log already, but I wanted to congratulate you on passing your SFB!

Reactions: jef
Thank you, @Karen Smith!

I really enjoyed the cert. It is not just about getting it, but really about how deep we go in high tension techniques. I started barbell and kettlebell training again this week, and I definitely saw an improvement.

Principles carry over to all modalities.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom