all posts post new thread

Bodyweight SFB Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nate Tamargo

Level 3 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello everyone!

I am currently preparing for the SFB Certification and have encountered an interesting challenge with the training. My hip flexors, quads and adductors have been tight, sore and occasionally locked up in the past couple months of preparing for the course. Besides the obvious (stretching, foam rolling and massage) are there any other effective methods of dealing with this issue that anyone would care to throw my way? Thanks!

right on Nate sounds like you are on the right track

could I ask what your pistol volume currently looks like?

might be worth lowering the volume of your pistols even if you end up doing other leg movements to supplement.

also, are you practicing any relaxation drills after your reps?

My hip flexors, quads and adductors have been tight, sore and occasionally locked up in the past couple months of preparing for the course. Besides the obvious (stretching, foam rolling and massage) are there any other effective methods of dealing with this issue that anyone would care to throw my way? Thanks!

Breathe and relax.... Really! Practice both breathing and relaxation. You can stretch as you do, but don't push the stretch at all. Just get into a position that barely approaches a stretch, where you don't feel any pulling at all, then breathe slowly and diaphragmatically, and relax... let go of the tension.

I’m doing pistols 3-4 days per week and waving the volume/intensity.
I mainly feel the tightness/discomfort during the 1 Arm Push-ups.
I am doing some croc breathing, but it sounds like I need to do more!

Some things that work well for me:
  1. Pickup a lacrosse ball or a MobilityWOD Supernova (my favorite) and use Kelly Starrett's 4-4-8 pattern with contract relax. So 4 seconds on the ball directly over a tender spot like your quad, 4 seconds flexing *into* the ball, and 8 seconds relaxation into the ball (slow exhale). Keep breathing the whole time with no pain faces ;) You can definitely do this for quads & hip flexors - for adductors I typically use the larger size Supernova or a Hyperice vibrating ball.
  2. Cobras! Make sure to do cobras in between sets of the OAPU - keep glutes tight and pry from side to side.
  3. Do the 90/90 and QL stretches from Simple & Sinister (Louka has a great video on YouTube for this).
  4. Use a suspension trainer and do the TRX Wide Hip Opener, Figure 4, and Lower Back Stretches. These feel great.
  5. Ice baths work great for me for overall inflammation.
Good luck!

Thanks for the tips guys! I will start incorporating this stuff into my program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom