all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG 1 peaking strategies

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I was going to use some glycolytic peaking from the Strong Endurance manual 3-4 weeks out if I do not do so well in future tests.

Highly recommned. Makes a huge difference, especially if you have that good base of strength and aerobic fitness. It's icing on the cake, so to speak.

Highly recommned. Makes a huge difference, especially if you have that good base of strength and aerobic fitness. It's icing on the cake, so to speak.
That’s what I was thinking, I’m going to run 523A for the next six weeks and then a glycolytic protocol until the week of the cert.

@Jordan Vaughan you are stronger and fitter than me, all this thought you are giving to the snatch test is making me freak out about my cert in november!
Hey Oscar, don't freak out! I know it's easier said than done. I've been there, comparing myself to others' strength and performance. You just stay on your training journey. If the discussion about the snatch test or something else is bothering you after reading this thread and you'd like some help, start up a thread of your own and ask for some feedback. You have time to train and get ready, and of course if you need the extra time, you have the 6-month buffer.

Hey Oscar, don't freak out! I know it's easier said than done. I've been there, comparing myself to others' strength and performance. You just stay on your training journey. If the discussion about the snatch test or something else is bothering you after reading this thread and you'd like some help, start up a thread of your own and ask for some feedback. You have time to train and get ready, and of course if you need the extra time, you have the 6-month buffer.
Thanks Johnny, I´m just kidding (kind of). I´m working with an SFG and she´s pretty confident we have time and I´ll do fine. I think so myself. But When I read about @jordan vaughan who not only has already completed the test satisfactorily, but is now doing A&A work with the 32, and is still doubting if he can make it, it makes me wonder what am I missing.

I havent completed the test yet, have only done 88 reps on a previous attempt. But well, time will tell.

Thanks Johnny, I´m just kidding (kind of). I´m working with an SFG and she´s pretty confident we have time and I´ll do fine. I think so myself. But When I read about @jordan vaughan who not only has already completed the test satisfactorily, but is now doing A&A work with the 32, and is still doubting if he can make it, it makes me wonder what am I missing.

I havent completed the test yet, have only done 88 reps on a previous attempt. But well, time will tell.

@Oscar,
Stay positive, hermano. You are already in range and have plenty of time left.

This is why I think practicing the test regularly is important. Even if you are falling short right now, the more you do it, the more familiar, routine and mentally comfortable the experience becomes. Anxiety and fear of the unknown lead to unnecessary tension and premature fatigue. If a guy got 88 reps in his only practice test the week before the cert, I'd bet on him failing. If a guy got 88 in practice once a week for two months before the cert, I'd bet on him rising to the occasion and passing.

BTW, I think it's worthwhile not just to practice for 5 minutes, but also to practice getting 100 reps in as little time as possible, even if you need more than 5 minutes or need to go down a bell size. Any snatch work you can do with a bell heavier than your test weight will also have a lot of carryover. And you know I am a big advocate of double cleans for overloading the ballistic hinge and making single snatches feel light.

Last edited:
@Jordan Vaughan you are stronger and fitter than me, all this thought you are giving to the snatch test is making me freak out about my cert in november!
You are at where you’re at! But from what I can gather that is not very far from where you need to be.

I have been training for the SFG for almost two and a half years, and only this year I’m old enough to do it. I can still remember the first time I snatched the 16 then 20 then 24 and so on. There are some insanely strong people in the SF community, who own snatch tests with the 40kg - it’s all part of a process.

In my head I can own a snatch test, I just want to back that up in reality. That’s what I’m like with everything, make each session and activity I do, 1% better each time I do it...

You are at where you’re at! But from what I can gather that is not very far from where you need to be.

I have been training for the SFG for almost two and a half years, and only this year I’m old enough to do it. I can still remember the first time I snatched the 16 then 20 then 24 and so on. There are some insanely strong people in the SF community, who own snatch tests with the 40kg - it’s all part of a process.

In my head I can own a snatch test, I just want to back that up in reality. That’s what I’m like with everything, make each session and activity I do, 1% better each time I do it...
Jordan, what you are doing is just right. It looks like you are really well prepared.

@Steve W. thanks, I agree with everything you said. Testing with the 24 for the first time was a huge step forward, even if I didnt make it to 100. It was becoming a monster in my head before that. I know now how it feels and can apply more appropiate strategies to the test and to the training.

I´m following all those training suggestions, except for using the heavier bell. Last monday I snatched the 28 for the first time and felt pretty doable. I just did 6 sets of 3 reps to see how it feels, with lots of rest.

Where I´m now, snatching the 24 still feels like a strength exercise, rather than an strength endurance exercise. Snatching the 20 on the other hand feels like a strength endurance event, and thats probably why I could complete the 100 in 4:30 with that weight. The bell just goes up and down easily until I start getting fatigued. With the 24, each rep feels like an effort. Thats why I think I´m lacking strength more than anything else. Maybe working with the 28 for short sets and good rest would be good for me.

In my head I can own a snatch test, I just want to back that up in reality...

The only way to back it up in reality is through execution.

Do you have access to a 24kg bell? If so, take 5 minutes and snatch it as many times as you can. At some point you will have to if you want to be fully prepared for your SFG. I applaud your planning and looking for the best route but we’ve been overlooking one thing that just about every experienced trainer will agree on:

A poor plan executed with heart and passion will CRUSH a great plan executed halfheartedly.

We’ve been going on for a week. I’d truly hate to see you be unprepared because you’d not pocketed the snatch test. Just grab the bell and snatch!! We’re all wanting to see you kill it!!!!

Wise words from all of you above!

Today was the day, I bit the bullet and went for it...

Test day...

The warm up consisted of a few light TGUs with 16kg and 24kg, then 10 swings and about 20 seconds of fast and loose drills for 4 sets - so around 2 minutes work.

3 minutes rest and then go time!

I knew I could meet the SFG standard, but the A+A protocols have outdone them selves.

I completed 100 snatches with the 24kg in 3 minutes 59 seconds! 30 seconds off from last time.

This was after a few hard days training and bouldering so I’m super happy.

The test itself flew by, the speed is there so definitely just need to get stronger - which I’ll do with the 523A protocol single arm swinging 40kg and snatching 32kg.

The big thing to take away is to just focus on the breath the whole time, visualising the exhale with the hip snap. I lost this for around 15 reps in the middle of the test.

As others have said above it’s a pass or fail, not a race. Yeah I pushed the pace today but I wanted to see what could I do it in, all reps did meet the SFG criteria.

Recovery was good too! Back below 60bpm after 3 minutes.

Now that you know it's in the bag, stay healthy, sharpen the skills further and always have a student's mindset.

It's easier to meet the physical standards vs being a personification of the code..

We're all cheering for you

Wise words from all of you above!

Today was the day, I bit the bullet and went for it...

Test day...

The warm up consisted of a few light TGUs with 16kg and 24kg, then 10 swings and about 20 seconds of fast and loose drills for 4 sets - so around 2 minutes work.

3 minutes rest and then go time!

I knew I could meet the SFG standard, but the A+A protocols have outdone them selves.

I completed 100 snatches with the 24kg in 3 minutes 59 seconds! 30 seconds off from last time.

This was after a few hard days training and bouldering so I’m super happy.

The test itself flew by, the speed is there so definitely just need to get stronger - which I’ll do with the 523A protocol single arm swinging 40kg and snatching 32kg.

The big thing to take away is to just focus on the breath the whole time, visualising the exhale with the hip snap. I lost this for around 15 reps in the middle of the test.

As others have said above it’s a pass or fail, not a race. Yeah I pushed the pace today but I wanted to see what could I do it in, all reps did meet the SFG criteria.

Recovery was good too! Back below 60bpm after 3 minutes.
Most excellent work sir! (y)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom