all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG 1 Prep (Thier's SFG Question #3843)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tjerr

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi guys,

Another question for my SFG1 Certification.

The last couple of weeks I was doing RoP and last week I did 5 ladders of 5 (75 reps per arm) with 24. But it completely smoked my shoulders. Couldn’t do the recorvery (5 ladders of 3) after 2 days rest and not even after 4 days rest.

As I’m a fitness professional myself and only work with kettlebells in my sessions with clients. I notice that a couple of clients are comming very close to my own training weights, 1 guy even surpassed them. With my clients I work only in movements, like so:

*example*

· Push: let’s say clean and press

· Pull: Renegade row

· Squat: double front squat

· Hinge: single leg deadlift

· Lunge: suitcase lunge

· Rotation: figure 8

· Anti-rotation: One arm swings

· Loaded Carry: bottom up carry

I always start with a strength exercise and finish with a finisher, like swings, snatches, complexes. They're always doing 1 exercise per human body movement, including the strength and finisher.

Grind exercises are 3 sets of 5 reps and ballistics in 3 x 10. Strength exercises are one of the movements (training 1 push, training 2 pull, training 3 squat, etc), or whatever is good for them. Mostly 3 x 1+1 get ups or 5 x 3+3 (clean & press) or 5 x 5 (squats). Finisher are mostly ballistics like swings, snatches, clean & presses etc.

The question:

As I notice my clients getting better, I am wondering if I should switch to this style of training in regarding to my own training for SFG 1. I’m planning to start the prep course on januari 1st. But want to get a bit stronger before. That’s the reason I’m doing RoP now.

I usually train 5 times a week, so the second question will be: Shall I just program the same way or is it wise to do (traditional) front or back days. Or do you know something that is smarter for me?

What I did yesterday:
Floor press 3 x 5 - 2 32 kg kb
Renegade row 3 x 5 - 2 32's
Double front Squat 3 x 5 - 2 32's
Double front rack Lunge 3 x 10 (5 each leg) 2 24's
Windmill 3 x 5 - 24
Figure 8 3 x 10 (5 each) 24
Snatches 5 x 10+10 24

Today:
Bent press 5 x 1 - 24, 28, 32, 32, 32
Tactical Pull up 3 x 5
Anyhow suat 3 x 10 - 16's
Get up 3 x 1+1 32 (easy recovery from yesterday's legs, my glutes are sore as hell)
Single leg deadlift 3 x 5+5 - 32
then I had to start working; planned: one arm swings, hot potato russian twist, bottom up carry.

Thanks!

As I’m a fitness professional myself and only work with kettlebells in my sessions with clients.
This might be blunt, but if you reached the point where people hire and pay you to take care of their training (including programming) you should be able to at least program for yourself.
How can you expect your clients to trust in your programing if you don't even have enough trust to program for yourself, the client you know the best.
The programing you use for your clients obviously works very well, so go and use it for yourself, too.

Even as a long time professional it's always good to keep learning and asking questions to not stagnate, but have more faith in your own abilities. Your clients results show that you've got the needed skills.

@Tjerr, nothing wrong with hitting a new best and then needing some down time. When you feel rested, test yourself and see if you can press a 28 or a 32 for a single.

-S-

From what I see, eliminate the redundancy such as bent press and anyhow squat if your focus is on level 1 and level 1 prep class. I personally like what you're client is doing. If I have another SFG2 to recertify, I'd borrow that for my press requirement.

Could you say your students are owning/surpassing your practice weight because they do less frequency but have enough time to recover?

And your students surpassing PR, that should not be an intimidation. Give bunch of encouragements. Teaching is also learning.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Another question for my SFG1 Certification.

The last couple of weeks I was doing RoP and last week I did 5 ladders of 5 (75 reps per arm) with 24. But it completely smoked my shoulders. Couldn’t do the recorvery (5 ladders of 3) after 2 days rest and not even after 4 days rest.

As I’m a fitness professional myself and only work with kettlebells in my sessions with clients. I notice that a couple of clients are comming very close to my own training weights, 1 guy even surpassed them. With my clients I work only in movements, like so:

*example*

· Push: let’s say clean and press

· Pull: Renegade row

· Squat: double front squat

· Hinge: single leg deadlift

· Lunge: suitcase lunge

· Rotation: figure 8

· Anti-rotation: One arm swings

· Loaded Carry: bottom up carry

I always start with a strength exercise and finish with a finisher, like swings, snatches, complexes. They're always doing 1 exercise per human body movement, including the strength and finisher.

Grind exercises are 3 sets of 5 reps and ballistics in 3 x 10. Strength exercises are one of the movements (training 1 push, training 2 pull, training 3 squat, etc), or whatever is good for them. Mostly 3 x 1+1 get ups or 5 x 3+3 (clean & press) or 5 x 5 (squats). Finisher are mostly ballistics like swings, snatches, clean & presses etc.

The question:

As I notice my clients getting better, I am wondering if I should switch to this style of training in regarding to my own training for SFG 1. I’m planning to start the prep course on januari 1st. But want to get a bit stronger before. That’s the reason I’m doing RoP now.

I usually train 5 times a week, so the second question will be: Shall I just program the same way or is it wise to do (traditional) front or back days. Or do you know something that is smarter for me?

What I did yesterday:
Floor press 3 x 5 - 2 32 kg kb
Renegade row 3 x 5 - 2 32's
Double front Squat 3 x 5 - 2 32's
Double front rack Lunge 3 x 10 (5 each leg) 2 24's
Windmill 3 x 5 - 24
Figure 8 3 x 10 (5 each) 24
Snatches 5 x 10+10 24

Today:
Bent press 5 x 1 - 24, 28, 32, 32, 32
Tactical Pull up 3 x 5
Anyhow suat 3 x 10 - 16's
Get up 3 x 1+1 32 (easy recovery from yesterday's legs, my glutes are sore as hell)
Single leg deadlift 3 x 5+5 - 32
then I had to start working; planned: one arm swings, hot potato russian twist, bottom up carry.

Thanks!

A basic principle of motor learning is to practice the required performance. You may have to regress it in stages (mastering one hand swing before snatch) of course. So, identify what you need for the cert. Break it down and practice it. The program you describe for your clients looks like a perfect minimalist GPP program (except pullup and TGU needed), but it won't prepare you well enough for the snatch test. Look at the programs on this site for cert prep.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom