all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG 1 San Diego

Conor Morrissey

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi Everyone!
Its been forever since I've been on the forum, had my head down working mostly Simple and Sinister for the last two years. My old RKC instructor Molly (I moved away a few years back) told me for a long time I need to get kb certified and I finally pulled the trigger a few months back and signed up for the SFG 1 certification in San Diego on January 20th this month. I"m confident in passing the snatch test (I tested on Thanksgiving and got my 100 reps in with plenty of time to spare, my girlfriend counted reps and watched form) I also feel like the near daily S&S has given my body the ability to perform well through the rest of the weekend. I'm adding some "cardio' as I get toward the finish line in the form of 24kg Vo2 max snatch workouts and high rep 2 hand swings.

Any instructors have any tips on what I should focus on these next two weeks? Any advise on approaching gyms or potential clients before I'm certified? Anyone else on the forum going to be there? if so, does anyone want to split a room at the Hampton Inn near the venue? I reserved two beds in case anyone wants to go half.

Sorry for the barage of questions. I've been doing kettlebells since my dad taught me to use them when I was 12 (I'm 29) so this feels like the culmination of years of work as a disciple of Pavel. I can"t wait to meet some Hardstyle fanatics and I can't wait to have a job that doesn't involve food, drinks or pretending to be nice!
Thanks for reading, looking forward to hearing for you guys.

Hi Everyone!
Its been forever since I've been on the forum, had my head down working mostly Simple and Sinister for the last two years. My old RKC instructor Molly (I moved away a few years back) told me for a long time I need to get kb certified and I finally pulled the trigger a few months back and signed up for the SFG 1 certification in San Diego on January 20th this month. I"m confident in passing the snatch test (I tested on Thanksgiving and got my 100 reps in with plenty of time to spare, my girlfriend counted reps and watched form) I also feel like the near daily S&S has given my body the ability to perform well through the rest of the weekend. I'm adding some "cardio' as I get toward the finish line in the form of 24kg Vo2 max snatch workouts and high rep 2 hand swings.

Any instructors have any tips on what I should focus on these next two weeks? Any advise on approaching gyms or potential clients before I'm certified? Anyone else on the forum going to be there? if so, does anyone want to split a room at the Hampton Inn near the venue? I reserved two beds in case anyone wants to go half.

Sorry for the barage of questions. I've been doing kettlebells since my dad taught me to use them when I was 12 (I'm 29) so this feels like the culmination of years of work as a disciple of Pavel. I can"t wait to meet some Hardstyle fanatics and I can't wait to have a job that doesn't involve food, drinks or pretending to be nice!
Thanks for reading, looking forward to hearing for you guys.
I’d suggest brushing up on your doubles work.

Congratulations and hope you have a great time! It's an awesome experience.

I'd say the most important thing is to plan the week prior. It's not a competition, but speaking in competition terms -- you can't "win" it that final week, but you CAN "lose" it that week if you try to do too much. So, I'd advise plenty of rest, and maybe one day of moderate volume and intensity and then one day of light volume and intensity in that 6 days prior to the Friday start day.

So with that in mind, you still have this coming week and the week after, as you said. I agree with @John K, do some doubles work if you can. Double swings (taught but not tested at the cert), double cleans (taught and tested), and double front squat (taught and tested). Review the standards video and try to hit all the standards.

Good luck and let us know what else we can help with!

1. Review the standards in the video.
2. Ask questions
3. Always remember someone has done what you are about to do or what you've done
4. Ask questions
5. Hand care
6. Hydrate
7. Be smart about training, the goal for now is to pass the SFG
8. Ask questions
9. Network with potential students and colleagues
10. Ask questions

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll get some doubles practice in this week. I appreciate the reminder not to push too hard and exhaust myself before game time. When you're on a roll, it takes more discipline to take an off day than to train.

The VAST majority of my practice up to this point has been "power" rather than "endurance/conditioning" focused. I'm shocked at how much endurance I've gained through sessions that seemed to barely elevate my heart rate... full-force "what the hell effect." However, now that I'm this close to letting it rip at the certification, am I correct in understanding that this is the time to build up some lactic acid tolerance and give my cardiovascular system some heavier, direct stimulation?

However, now that I'm this close to letting it rip at the certification, am I correct in understanding that this is the time to build up some lactic acid tolerance and give my cardiovascular system some heavier, direct stimulation?
I would say only if you are having trouble passing the snatch test.... But you said you are good there. So I wouldn't necessarily feel the need to do that. Interested in others' opinions...

now that I'm this close to letting it rip at the certification, am I correct in understanding that this is the time to build up some lactic acid tolerance and give my cardiovascular system some heavier, direct stimulation?
That's an interesting question. My answer would be that you only need that sort of training in preparation for your five-minute snatch test. The rest of the week, a focus on total work capacity over three days would be more important, and therefore more volume with sufficient rest between - think A+A.

-S-

That's an interesting question. My answer would be that you only need that sort of training in preparation for your five-minute snatch test. The rest of the week, a focus on total work capacity over three days would be more important, and therefore more volume with sufficient rest between - think A+A.

-S-

Exactly.

Really about the only other thing glycolytic about the SFG weekend is the grad workout, and you'll be able to power through that on pure group energy! It's a blast!

Back
Top Bottom