all posts post new thread

Old Forum SFG athlete at the 2014 Winter Olympics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

EricKenyonSFG

Level 4 Valued Member
I just realized my original thread entitled. "Snowboard racer S & C" is obsolete, and does not reflect the reality of the present situation. An athlete I've been training for a year, Evan Strong, is favorite to win gold in para-snowboard racing. I used pure SFG/ Easy Strength to bring up his strength, speed and resilience in the middle of a busy racing season in 2013. For details of the last year of training and racing, see the old thread.

Evan has won 11 medals in 11 races since becoming my student over a year ago.  He is in Spain right now for the final World Cup races before Sochi. The Paralympic Boardercross is slated for March 14th. Watch for Evan in the Paralympic, athlete profiles during the Olympic coverage toward the end of Feb.

This is great, you obviously did a great job. How many races has he won or competed in before meeting you?  Since you didn't help with SPP , do you think by any chance that also helped him improve, or do you take all the credit it seems your looking for. I'm aware that's blunt, but saying he's won every race since working with you does not mean it's solely or at all because of SFG principles.  Maybe another philosophy could have worked even better, or maybe it's a great skills team helping him. Maybe he's matured as an athlete. All that aside, the one thing you did right without question is keep the athlete healthy, which is what allows the medals to be won. i hope he sticks with you and I'll look for him if I can.

Thank you Pavel.

Great Questions Eric Reichelt. You illustrate something Pavel and Dan John talked about in the Easy Strengfth course: as a strength coach you may be given some or no credit for your athlete's success. You may also take the entire blame for an athlete's failure. Evan has won gold at the Paralympics (See the article on SF, I M Possible) and is ranked 16th fastest in North America in able bodied. As to my contribution, there is some "fuzziness" in Evan's sport. It's not Quadrant four, It's quadrant two, many qualities. high percentage of max.

How much credit should I be "looking for?" Ask Evan. Although he is very busy, especially as a new father, he is very approachable, and loves to talk about snowboarding.

One big change: when I met Evan he thought his career was over because his shoulders hurt when he was snowboarding. He was afraid to move his arms. We fixed that right away. What if Evan never met me? What if his shoulders blew out? Met someone smarter than me? Maybe someone from this community? Maybe you? We never know what could have happened, only what has happened.

Ouch Eric R! Was that really necessary?
Eric K has been a part of an athlete's amazing success and you feel the need to try knock him down for it. Nobody will ever know how big or small a part he played, but whatever Evan and his team are doing it is obviously working, so well done all!

Thank you Chris and jc. As strength coaches there is a certain role we play. We know what it is: we are not the main event. S & C is 10% of an athlete's work. Sports skill is 80%, other stuff, like injury proofing or restoration is the remaining 10%. In some sports the difference between 1st and 10th place is measured in 1/100ths of a percentage. In these cases that 10 or 20% effected by the savvy strength coach can take on decisive proportions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom