all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG II experience - Portland, OR, Feb 2017

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
I just attended my 4th StrongFirst event. In keeping with my posts on the previous 3, I'm providing a summary of the experience. Here are the previous ones:
SFG Kettlebell Course experience
SF Bodyweight Course experience
SFG1 at The Dome

And here are my notes from this one, the SFG II in Portland OR Feb 18-19, 2017:

Towards the end of last year, I was coming up for re-cert for SFG I; had been continuing training and that included a lot of overhead work so I was in pretty good shape for it. And, I wanted to go to Portland. So when I saw this SFG II on the schedule, I signed up!

The 2-day event met all my expectations and more. I'm happy to say that I passed everything and am now an SFG II.

The quality of instruction was absolutely outstanding, as always! Master SFG Zar Horton, Senior SFGs Andrea U-Shi Chang and Senior SFG Lance Coffel were beyond excellent, as were the 3 additional assistants on each of the two teams that had about 16 attendees. I was on Team Coffel. The facility was first rate, too: Industrial Strength Gym is a great space ideal for instruction and practice.

So when I say the instruction was outstanding, this is what I mean: clear, consistent, professional, fun, and perfectly paced. I've been to a lot of training in my life, in the military, in my education, and elsewhere, and I can say that StrongFirst training really is top notch.

The SFG II manual is solid gold. I'm still working on absorbing all of it. I reference all my other manuals regularly so I'm sure this will be no different. I took notes from the instruction to supplement what was in the book. In addition to the SFG II skills, there is an SFG I section that includes some really great corrective drills in a helpful format, so I feel like I've received the improvements that have been made to the SFG I manual since my attendance in May 2015.

The cert course content was super valuable for an ongoing kettlebell practice, both for me as an individual, and for teaching others. We did the strength (pressing) and snatch tests early, then had instruction and practice on SFG I skills before we re-tested those, which helped re-establish the foundational skills. Then we moved on to new things; the Level 2 skills of push-press, jerk, double snatch, windmill, and bent press in addition to some progressions leading up to them, and some assistance drills. We also did a complete bottom-up series and some athletic drills like walking swings, snatch lunges, snatch lunge jumps, and all kinds of other variations, which were fun and I could see they are potentially quite useful!

All of the skills instruction was especially good for finding and correcting faults in the swing, clean... EVERY movement, really. Andrea was super good at doing demos of form mistakes and what they cause the movement to look like, which came across very clearly and will help all of us correct our students. And we had a couple of excellent segments on group class design, which were well-taught and illustrated by Andrea and Zar.

It was really hard work, just like SFG I. We finished about 6pm the first day and I was completely wiped out after both days. We did lots of practice individually and in groups, and also had to assist our partners and correct them in their practice. I had a great training partner! In many ways she was stronger than me... but she was also younger. :)

Biggest insights for me - a lot better awareness of principles - the cylinder, connectedness, the foundation. Biggest improvement while there -- the windmill. Most insight -- the bent press (I still need to practice that one). Best skill for me -- the double snatch. Most instructive - the jerk. One I'm most likely to continue to use in my practice.... hmm. I'd like to think all of them. We'll see.

Preparation - Heavy snatch programs in A+A format by Al Ciampa were great preparation for me. They built my strength in lockout, opened up my shoulders and t-spine, and made me solid with heavy weight overhead. I also did a 10-week aerobic base training program (LSD, MAF using mostly cycling) which improved my stamina and helped me absorb the other training. As the event got closer, I also worked in practice with the SFG I and II skills, usually using A+A principles for my sessions. My training is all in my training log if anyone's interested in the nitty gritty.

My best SFG II prep tips would be:
  1. Make sure you can do ALL the requirements, which means:
    - re-cert Level 1 skills, meeting all standards for swing, press, clean, squat, snatch, and get-up
    - pass snatch test with your required weight
    - pass strength test with your required weight
    - A good amount of practice with all the Level 2 skills: push-press, jerk, double snatch, windmill, and bent press. Much like with SFG I, although they are taught all the way through, you want to be 90-95% competent with them before you get there, else it is hard to absorb the finer details. And of course you want to practice with your required test weight and heavier.
  2. Increase your stamina back to at least where it was for your SFG I cert. It's not quite as exhausting, but it's close.
  3. Diligently work on your t-spine mobility for 6-12 months leading up to the cert. Overhead lockout with 2 bells requires it, as do the rotations of windmill and bent press.
I had a great time in Portland and was fortunate to have a lot of family there to visit. On a forum-related note, during my week there I made arrangements to see three people that I've "met" through this forum -- @Arryn Grogan , @Darren Best , and @cedar . Quite awesome to meet each of them in person! Arryn was also assisting at the cert and coaches at Industrial Strength. He is extremely strong, skilled, and solid! And I remember when he was more or less starting out with S&S 3+ years ago... he has come a long way. As I have :).

Many thanks to YOU, my many forum friends who have supported me in my training log and elsewhere here. We are a great community, and growing stronger!

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer. Feel free to comment here, or send me a PM.

Excellent
Congrats on your Level 2 and thank you for the write up

Thank you all very much!

I was also fortunate to attend the event along with my training partner here, @WxHerk (John), who also had a great experience and is now SFG II. Training together this week, we find that it's great to review everything we learned, and repeat to each other some of the different cues we heard. This morning he was able to improve the getup of one of our friends here (Jeff) who has been practicing kettlebells for over 3 years now, by passing along what he learned from Zar and others. Jeff then taught what he learned to some of the military folks doing their PT. Zar to John, John to Jeff, Jeff to others... like water flowing downhill! It's great to see this in action.

It would be easy for me to type about 7,344,217 words about what a fantastic SFG II @Anna C is but I'm confident you are all well aware of that. All I will say is that without her expert eye on me and her steady, quiet "workpersonlike" presence for the past 3+ years I would be nowhere near SFG. Period. Anna is every bit as studious and meticulous as her posts indicate. Her mind and body are incredibly connected.

Also, I would be remiss without mentioning Al Ciampa who started our base's kettlebell program and took me under his large and considerable wing. I cannot say enough about a fine man who is about 240 lbs, of which 235 is heart.

Zar, Lance, and Andrea were indeed beyond incredible. I have flown 4 different Military aircraft. I have been in the Military for almost 31 years. One can say that I have received a WEE bit of training. The level of instruction at an SFG Certification is the best I have ever experienced. Not only are these three technically impeccable, they are enormously personable and tuned into the group..they knew exactly when to back it off a touch and when to push it up. They rapidly figured which cues worked for different candidates and seemed to be everywhere at once.

Indeed, Anna and I trained this morning, interspersed with conversation relating to and applying what we learned this past weekend. We are certainly fortunate to be able to bounce the cues off each other and watch each others' movement. This was much more a practice than our normal training sessions.

Yesterday, we hosted our noon/Thursday kettlebell "club." Since we use our base gym we cannot have a class so it is an informal club with about 5 folks in attendance. The "cylinder" was our big bringhome point. Keeping a good cylinder made everything better.

Yes, teaching Jeff the getup points that were driven home to me by Zar, Lance, Andrea, and Jinpil Kim really made a huge difference. Mainly, keeping a "big chest" and concentrating harder on keeping the shoulders back & connected and using the down forearm to push away. I had lost that in the almost 2 years since my SFG I. Jeff reported that he has never felt so connected during a getup and it was very easy to see. He then joined his group who were doing getups and passed on what I had covered with him. We also arranged for Anna and me to work with that group and drill the basics. When Anna reads this post she will discover what I signed her up for!! :p

Bottom line, the SFG was worth every dollar..but it's not a money thing with me. It is a very personal thing about which I feel very strongly. To have earned admittance into such a high caliber of professionals and to be entrusted with the designation of SFG means more than any words I have. The commitment that is instilled in me makes me drive to nail every repetition and to drill my focus into both my own practice and those who have entrusted me to make them better. Strongfirst deserves not only my best but for me to constantly strive to make my best better.

Thanks for the write up Anna and I'm glad you had such a positive experience at our gym! One thing I think is worth echoing that Anna said is to not overlook the stamina aspect of your SFG II prep. As an assistant at the event, I definitely noticed some people "fading" so to speak as the day went on, while others seemed to have enough stamina to train with focus throughout the whole weekend. Needless to say, those who were able to get in the most high-quality practice throughout the weekend were the ones who saw the most improvement. Since the SFG II is often thought of as a "strength event" it can be easy to overlook the stamina needed to get the most out of the weekend.

I think it is similar to SFG I where some people get so hung up on passing the snatch test that they forget to prepare for an entire weekend of swings, get ups, cleans etc., and the cumulative volume ends up smoking them. For SFG II, don't get so hung up on your MP strength test that you forget you need to be able to practice these skills all weekend long.

Great job this past weekend Anna! Again, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom