all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG Kettlebell Course experience

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
First let me say, if this forum is ever replaced with a different one, please save the content here!  There is so much good stuff… I found some great stuff just looking back at some previous course reviews.  Whenever I need more reading I just dial up old pages here and read. 

So anyway… I attended the SFG Kettlebell Course in Chicago this past Sunday with Senior SFG Betsy Collie, hosted by Daniel Lona at Lona Fitness.  In a word – it was GREAT! 

One solid day is an effective format to teach the course material:  Safety, Mobility, Deadlift, Swing, Get-Up, Goblet Squat, 1-leg Deadlift, Military Press.   The course manual is solid and also has a good final section on programming. 

Betsy taught expertly, made it enjoyable.  I soaked up every word.  She has this way of perfectly blending the elements of instruction:  describe, demonstrate, have the group perform, correct issues, perform and practice some more, show you what not to do, do it correctly again, explain a little more.  You feel like an expert in each move by the end of the segment.  She’s awesome at answering questions, too. 

I was pleased to find out that everything I learned previously was RIGHT!  There wasn’t anything contradictory.  But, I gained some of those important nuances that make all the difference.  THAT is what makes it worth the time to attend.  The exercises and the kettlebell are a tool to achieve the strength and fitness you want.  Make sure that tool is sharp… like a knife you use in the kitchen every day.  It still cuts if it’s not sharp, but it is well worth the time to make it as effective as it can be. 

Back to the material.  I had the swings and getups down quite well, thanks to my previous instruction and my study and practice of S&S.  I think I dialed in the hinge a bit better, though.  And on the getup, I’ll get more out of the initial roll-up and the same move on the way down.  That part is very important!  But even on the swings and getups, I learned some common errors, how to spot them, and the problems they can cause.  I don’t work as a trainer, but, I like to work out with people and share corrections and tips.  This really helped in that regard.

The best learning for me personally was the goblet squat.  Grab the handle of the kettlebell and try to break it.  This engages the lats.  Here’s the biggie – screw your feet into the floor, pull up on the kneecaps, and squeeze the glutes.  I was completely missing the “screw your feet into the floor” part of this equation – this engages all the muscles in the upper legs and around your pelvis as you squeeze the glutes, tuck the pelvis, and widen the hips in front.  Then PULL yourself down with the hip flexors.  Practice with your hands on them if you can’t feel this.  Pause at the bottom with back straight, push elbows into knees with lats engaged.  Stand back up.  So there’s more of course, and this is my newbie version, but I was missing a lot of that.  I thought I knew how to squeeze the glutes – I didn’t!  Now it feels totally different, and REALLY brings the body together as one piece. 

Similar tension building and “one piece” for the military press.  It’s a whole body press. 

The one-leg deadlift is amazingly difficult, even with NO weight.  I’ve got to practice that.  Supposed to be an excellent skill and strength builder for the pistol squat, which I’m going to work on. 

Other favorites – the yang plank, the three way neck, recovery techniques between swing sets, the grip in the military press, the hip flexor stretch… and so much more! 

And, I found out that the class cost can apply towards SFG 1 cert.  Hmm…

So yeah; go to one, if you get the chance.  You won’t regret it. 

Anna, Thanks for sharing this. Would you be willing to elaborate on the cues you learned for the goblet squat? I've heard people mention pulling up on the knee-caps before, but I don't quite understand what that means.

Thanks,
Christopher

Steve, you're welcome; Pavel, thank you; Craig, I hope you enjoy your class!

Christopher, this is my understanding, maybe others can explain better.  At the beginning of the goblet squat, or at the top of the swing, or while doing a military press, you want to create tension in the body from the shoulders down.  So, shoulders packed (anit-shrugged), hands tight in fists or gripping the kettlebell, lats engaged, abs braced, pelvis tucked under, glutes tight as I described above.  Bring this same tension all the way down your legs and you will feel your kneecaps raise as your quads get tight.  That is what you're looking for.  Grab the ground with your feet with that slight outward rotation.  Practicing this tension building is a good exercise all by itself.

Anna,

Thanks for your detailed post here on your experience with me in the course this past weekend in Chicago. You exhibited great form and no doubt you understood what I was teaching. Your comments here help so many others who are searching for a deeper understanding to their training that will in turn help others. So from that standpoint I thank you. To answer Christopher Atkinsons question about cueing for the goblet squat... the rooting of the feet is extremely important to help solidify hip flexors as you enter the squat. It soldifiys your body's muscle contractions from the ground up and gives you a very stable squat. We refer to it as almost cork screwing the feet into the ground and like many things in body mechanics and strength training...it is a skill... that must be practiced and paid attention to. it is not mindless... when you root through the ground correctly you will begin to feel your upper quads and glutes begin to literally "wrap" in contraction. When doing so it makes your squat so strong and stable whether its kettlebell or barbell or body weight this rooting ability is key! Good luck and keep practicing until you can truly relate to this skill.

Anna and Betsy,
Thank you both for taking the time to explain that so thoughtfully. I just did a few goblet squats before typing this, and the cork-screwing really seems to add something. I'm grateful that there are people in this community so willing to help and share their knowledge.

Anna and Betsy, thanks for the goblet squat tips. Makes me wonder what other tips I'm missing from my practice.

I tried the corkscrewing on my goblet squats yesterday and today and I felt a huge difference at the bottom. Felt like my hips more open at the bottom and I also felt a bigger stretch on my hip flexors. Also made the exercise more intense overall.

Slightly related, one thing I've always been confused about at the top of the swing. If you are trying to create tension at the top by rooting yourself, when the heck are you supposed to "rest while the dirt is in the air"?

Wesker, glad that helped, and that is a good question!  I would guess it's a matter of creating just the right amount of tension at just the right time... but maybe there's a better answer.

Wesker, Anna in regard to the swing yes Anna your answer was good! Once your body understands bringing (more tension lower body than upper body) then the amount of tension becomes relevant to the force produced by the weight of the bell and gravity. In other words, you are going to meet the force of the bell and gravity during the swing movement with the appropriate tension (muscle contraction) in the body (at just the right time)...The "rest " one gets in swings occurs at the top of the swing. When performed correctly, the bell will "float" weightless for a split second at the top of the bell when contracted and sanding tall. Posture and contraction through the body, ex. grounded and rooted through the floor, glute and ab contraction with kneecaps pulled up make this "float" happen. It is a smooth graceful act when don't properly...

Here’s the biggie – screw your feet into the floor, pull up on the kneecaps, and squeeze the glutes. I was completely missing the “screw your feet into the floor” part of this equation

Although this is an old thread, I could not resist responding after reading it last week and applying one of its concepts to this week’s practice.

I have struggled with the deep squat for decades. Most recently – the Goblet Squat. I have faith that the squat and particularly the Goblet Squat is a foundational movement pattern, but I have not been able to perform it properly and realize the benefits.

My struggles have been getting deep without distracting hip pain and various body & facial “contortions”. I am a 57 year-old male, 148lb (67kg) powerlifting competitor in college (150 lbs/68kg today), marathoner in my 20’s, and then a dysfunctional big-box gym rat for a few decades until I discovered KB’s 7 years ago. From my post college days until my recent retirement, my work days/evenings were spent sitting at a desk, in meetings or in an airplane.

I have practiced KB’s for the past 7 years with many, many re-reads of RKC, ETK, ROK, S&S, Naked Warrior KB Muscle, Super Joints, Relax Into Stretch, etc. and several years of following this forum, its predecessor and others.

This year I enjoyed a few minor breakthroughs on my Goblet Squats from attending an SFG course this summer, a 1:1 session with the Iron Tamer in Nashville (what a talented instructor he is) and an Original Strength course this fall.

Call me ignorant, but last week I picked-up on this "screw your feet into the ground" cue from Anna’s January, 2015 thread, and it finally eliminated most of the pain and contortions.

As you know the “screw into the ground” cue is prominent in Naked Warrior and other resources, but I have not noticed it before in most Goblet Squats instructions. In my recent year attempts to perform a decent Goblet Squat I have read so many resources, but for the life of me, I cannot remember seeing this cue at all – or at least enough times for it to register in my mind and give it a try for Goblet Squats.

How did I miss this cue before? Perhaps my recent progress allowed me to finally “see” this cue…perhaps this cue is largely under-emphasized in Goblet Squat teachings, or perhaps it is a combination of both possibilities.

I incorporated the “screw into the ground cue” during my last two sessions this week and the results were spectacular – no debilitating pain in my hips and I felt like all relevant body parts were moving comfortably and strongly as a single unit. The common cue to spread your knees made perfect sense when combined with the corkscrew cue because it felt like my hips, legs, knees, ankles and feet were all in alignment finally. I easily increased my reps and weight. My ankle immobility still requires the counterweight of the KB to hit ATG, but I can squat now with a focus on the pure movement instead of the normal fight against pain, tightness and depth.

So the purpose of writing is to share or reinforce the following:

· If you are having issues with your Goblet Squats and are not incorporating the “screw into the ground” cue – give it a try.
· Expert instruction from a SF instructor is invaluable at any stage of your practice.
· Reading & re-reading the various resources keeps giving over and over.
· Incorporating certain cues and acquiring certain skills cannot be realized sometimes until you have made it successfully through various stages and progressions. Consistent practice and an open mind are keys to progress.

I think that a competent Goblet Squat will be another stepping stone to further progress in my KB skills, and I am anxious to see what more practice brings. I hope the mention of this cue helps someone else who is having similar issues.

Many thanks to Anna for taking valuable time in this and other threads to share her knowledge, and to all of you who do the same time and again.

felt like my hips, legs, knees, ankles and feet were all in alignment finally

Excellent, Lee! Yes, it was a big lightbulb moment for me, even just in the standing plank, and then can carry this all the way through the squat. It makes all the hip and leg muscles work together in a way that just isn't there otherwise.

Expert instruction from a SF instructor such as an SFG I or SFG II is absolutely invaluable, yes, and I would add to that -- instruction from a Senior or Master StrongFirst Instructor (those who teach the 1-day courses and certifications) is yet another level entirely!! The depth of knowledge and ability to teach possessed by these chosen individuals is truly amazing, and worth seeking out.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom