all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG Level 1 Cert Test Requirements and Prep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Once you meet the Simple standard is a good time to branch out and work on other skills, but can certainly try them anytime. Depends a lot on whether you have an instructor available to work with you. Your risk of injury increases if you do things incorrectly, and even more if you do them frequently or progress too quickly with weight.

S&S is a great program to get started, and plenty of support available here!

Reactions: Lew
Great, thanks for the info. I'll work my way through S&S. I may not start with 16 tgu and 24 swings to start, but I'll you know how I get along. Thanks to all that replied with some great advice.

Hi Mark,
OK, just downloaded simple and sinister. I got the 16kg bell. I think i'll still go with a 20kg and not the 24kg at this point.

Paul, at our age, slow and steady is definitely a valid paradigm for us.

If you spend an extra 6-8 weeks developing through the 20kg on your way to the 24kg, that is far better than spending 6-8 weeks rehabbing an injury that always takes way too long to heal, and then doing the 20kg anyway.

On another thread I was debating whether to get the 20 or 24. I put an 18lb on my 35lb and actually got 2 sets of ten on both arms, so I was going for the 24. But in the end I will get both because I feel my swings can handle the 24 but will have to work on the get ups. and yes at our age (58) slow and steady.

Reactions: Lew
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and wasn't sure where exactly to post this. I recently registered for the Level 1 certification in May, and as I go through my preparation I have a few questions for those of you who are more experienced and have done the certification.
1. Is taping your hands allowed during the snatch test at the cert? I have a friend that said it was allowed, but I didn't see that anywhere on the web site.
2. Is it normal to feel your back tighten up during high volume swings and snatches? I am doing the program provided by Brett Jones on the SFG site. During the high volume heavy swing and snatch days I feel my back tighten up some. Just curious if this is normal or if it is indicative of bad/declining technique. Thanks for any advice and insight you can share!

@Jack, welcome to StrongFirst!

Regarding your #2, perhaps you can post a video of some of your snatches and swings? That would let us give you some feedback on your form.

-S-

Jack
The hands are only allowed to be taped during the snatch test if there is an existing open wound or hand tear that need to be protected.

Your technique and prep should have your hands and technique dialed in so that your hands are ok.

For your second question - as Steve noted you can post a video and we can try to help but you could also look into a session with an SFG in your area. But no I would say it is not "normal" and could indicate a movement related issue or a technique issue.

@Jack, allow me to second what Brett said - our forum in an invaluable resource to many, and feedback based on video is certainly better than nothing, but the instant feedback of working with a certified instructor is, if you'll forgive a non-technical term, _way_, _way_ better. I can't tell you how many people have come to me with a particular, long-standing issue, telling me they've been working on it, watching videos online about proper form, etc. - and then they come here, and in five minutes, their long-standing issue is no longer a mystery because I've been able to zero in on what they need to hear and what they needed to do in order to fix it.

So please do look up an instructor - perhaps your friend who went through the cert is the right place to start.

-S-

Steve and Brett, thank you very much for your replies, I appreciate it. I will try to take some footage today and upload it. Fortunately my friend and I work at the same school so I will be able to get his help, but I appreciate all the feedback I can get. I'm sure I will have more questions. Thanks again!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom