all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG methods of forestalling sarcopenia? What do our board members over forty years of age do?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
S&S is great, but why limit yourself to only two exercises when you can use S&S in addition to other training?

Well, for a couple of reasons. One is - I don't have the time for more. And the second - I'm not in a rush. I figure that in another year or so I'll get to Simple and then progress to Timed or look to add in other things. Like the other missing parts of the RKC 6. Or whatever the proper advice will be then.

So, it's not a question of limiting... it's a question of what I have the time and patience for now.

in real world scenarios I have embarrassingly recognized that I am not as strong.
hmm. Curious....

Hi Pete, may I ask the goal of BJJ SF-KB LCCJ protocol? Is it endurance? Is it like S&S a mixture of all ? Which aspect was the dominant outcome in your opinion?
The goal is strength and strength endurance I would say.
The benefits are listed in the following article of which I would highlight the following;
☑ Power
☑ Strength
☑ Muscle hypertrophy
☑ “Work capacity”
☑ It “gives you more than it takes out of you”
☑ Simplicity
☑ Low time commitment
I put on about 3 kg of lean mass in 17 weeks.
The rest of the BJJ course if very similar to S&S and complimentary in a same but different way.
The LCCJ protocol is definitely different as it's time based which requires a different approach than S&S with fixed volume.

Imma buck the general trend and say intensity of effort can be substituted for a lot of volume in folks that have a decent base of fitness. It still leads to accumulated fatigue - training in partially recovered state is a solid driver of hypertrophy, but it has to be managed too.

Intensity and volume certainly gets a bit mushed together when the volume caveat is "number of hard sets", with rep ranges starting as low as 5 and going up to 30.

Last edited:
What do you think is the minimum effective dose for a block length then? For hypertrophy to combat sarcopenia? 4 week Giant cycle, for example?

That will be highly individualized based on training history, training age, and biological age.

Because one person's minimum effective volume for growth might be someone else's maintenance.

And muscle protein synthesis also declines with age.

Example:

My maintenance volume for quads these days is about 9 hard sets of squats per week(i.e. 3 hard sets, 3 times a week); if I want to grow size, I have to exceed that.

But that same volume would have caused growth in me when I was a novice lifter and younger.

Last edited:
Remarkable that you can/do measure and track this.
My sophistication begins and ends with noticing my pants are looser and my shirts are tighter... I'm impressed by data-driven people.

Thanks, but I'm in a strength sport with weight classes, so it comes with territory.

Every weightlifter I know can rattle off their max lifts at different body weights.

And getting body fat / lean mass analysis is fairly common to assess if you should move up or down a weight class relative to your lifts.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom