all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG methods of forestalling sarcopenia? What do our board members over forty years of age do?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
For me mostly beef, some eggs, some sardines, sometimes chicken though it's not fat enough and pork rarely. Cows, sheep, bison, deer, elk, have much better essential fatty acid ratio than even pasture raised poultry and pigs. Not a deal breaker but better is better. I still am getting obvious physical healing benefits so will continue. Plan is to re-evaluate in the fall and maybe add back some carbs.

Almost everyone gets the runs for a few weeks though some do need longer for their liver to adapt to producing enough bile to deal with all the fat. #1 rule for the diet is "NEVER trust a ^*#%!"
If you haven’t added bone marrow to the carnivore experience it’s a must IMO. Not only is it great fro the gut but it’s delicious on top of any type of steak

I agree with almost all of the posts here and learned from many comments. This is quite an important topic, does anyone know if Pavel himself made any comments on this topic?

Builtstrong states that it fights with sarcopenia, which I am sure it does but what about strength workouts?

As far as I understand from a Pavel T article on his dad’s DL performance, if memory serves me well, he put his dad on to a Strength only program.

I would love to understand if he sees hyperthropy work as a must.

Best;

Ege

There’s not a whole lot you can’t get from animal foods when it comes to vitamins and minerals do the most bioavailable source around. There are many vegetables and plant foods who contain certain vitamins but they exist in a form that humans cannot absorb easily. Where is when you eat a piece of beef liver you’re absorbing a lot of those nutrients especially if he eaten with some other source of fat soluble vitamin like butter.
Man I’ve not eaten offal in ages. That needs fixed tomorrow. There’s a butcher up here and the liver and kidneys he sells are so good. Amazingly when I went carnivore it turned out he had done it too. I suppose if you are going to go carnivore and you’re a butcher you’re sorted.

The idea that it is an enemy or "not" is really the problem here. Is it not? I mean clearly the biology and who people are in their own life along with 1000 other variables will dictate whether carbs are great or not great for you personally. The real issue is using blanket statments such as "Carbs are the enemy" or "Carbs are not the enemy". I think as a general we need to swing away from from that. No?

Anyway, for Girverk...if Carnivore is working for you and you can sustain that, power to you. I found that any diet that places restrictions on you in such a manner is calling for you to break out of it eventually. But that's just me. For strength training, I would go see a professional and get your technique corrected and lift weights as @Steve friedes said regularly.

They have been for me.

I am my leanest, look my best, and perform my best on a low-carb, high-protein diet.
For me it depends on the carb. Organic bananas and potatoes are fine for me. All grains are my enemy, they all make me inflamed and feel crappy. I do believe I’d have a better outcome with them if I had non gmo grains and i sprouted them or processed them myself. Soaking them in water first as our ancestors once did realizing they needed to break them down a bit before consuming them.

Another huge problem is the fact that most of our carbs sourced at least here in the states are loaded with pesticides. You cannot tell me that there is any safe amount of round up suitable for human consumption. Also we’ve depleted our soil of nutrients and bacteria so the plant foods we eat have very little nutritional value.

They have been for me.

I am my leanest, look my best, and perform my best on a low-carb, high-protein diet.

I can't remotely perform my best on low carb.

My explosive power falls off a cliff.

I can still do grinds, but ballistics become pathetically weak.

My cleans, jerks, and snatches go down by almost 40%, my training volume and duration that I can sustain drops in half.

On the other hand, if I go too high carb, my inflammation kicks up too high, which also means I can't train as hard.

So I have to do moderate carb, low inflammation.

I agree with almost all of the posts here and learned from many comments. This is quite an important topic, does anyone know if Pavel himself made any comments on this topic?

Builtstrong states that it fights with sarcopenia, which I am sure it does but what about strength workouts?

As far as I understand from a Pavel T article on his dad’s DL performance, if memory serves me well, he put his dad on to a Strength only program.

I would love to understand if he sees hyperthropy work as a must.

Best;

Ege

We have to be careful about strength training when it comes to sarcopenia, because you can actually get relatively stronger than you were while still losing lean muscle mass.

I know this, personally, because I have DEXA scans every year, sometimes every 6 months, and I've had periods where my lifts have gone up, but my lean muscle mass has gone down.

This has happened especially when I've transitioned from a high volume rowing season to low volume strength training without having an intermediate hypertrophy phase.

The high volume, aerobically demanding rowing maintained a capillary net and higher level of muscle tissue / fluid, especially in my legs, that simply wasn't needed for the smaller volume (but more intense) amount of work from heavy squat reps in the 3-5 range. And barbell ballistics are pretty bad for hypertrophy, too.

Last edited:
For me mostly beef, some eggs, some sardines, sometimes chicken though it's not fat enough and pork rarely. Cows, sheep, bison, deer, elk, have much better essential fatty acid ratio than even pasture raised poultry and pigs. Not a deal breaker but better is better. I still am getting obvious physical healing benefits so will continue. Plan is to re-evaluate in the fall and maybe add back some carbs.

Almost everyone gets the runs for a few weeks though some do need longer for their liver to adapt to producing enough bile to deal with all the fat. #1 r ule for the diet is "NEVER trust a ^*#%!"
I live in Texas and my friends all hunt, so I get deer and pork from them ( ungodly feral pig problem) I really love Elk, just don't get it that often.

I can't remotely perform my best on low carb.

My explosive power falls off a cliff.

I can still do grinds, but ballistics become pathetically weak.

My cleans, jerks, and snatches go down by almost 40%, my training volume and duration that I can sustain drops in half.

On the other hand, if I go too high carb, my inflammation kicks up too high, which also means I can't train as hard.

So I have to do moderate carb, low inflammation.
AGT work goes well on low-carb for me.

AGT work goes well on low-carb for me.

Yeah, I can do all the kettlebell routines I've tried just fine on low carb.

Because they're compatible with a big drop off in max power for me due to being comparatively lighter weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ege
We have to be careful about strength training when it comes to sarcopenia, because you can actually get relatively stronger than you were while still losing lean muscle mass.
So....is that good or bad - neither or something else?

So....is that good or bad - neither or something else?

If you're losing muscle mass, being stronger for a given muscle mass is definitely better than being weaker.

But if I had to choose between training to gain muscle mass or training to gain strength to combat sarcopenia, I'd pick gaining muscle mass.

Because there are metabolic advantages to just maintaining a higher portion of lean body mass.

And loss of lean body mass has a major impact on many aspects of health.

I have 21% less strength and power than I did 10 years ago, but I've only lost 7% of my lean body mass over the same time frame. For my current and future health, retaining as much as possible of my peak lean body mass is more important than maintaining my peak strength.

Last edited:
I have 21% less strength and power than I did 10 years ago, but I've only lost 7% of my lean body mass over the same time frame.
Remarkable that you can/do measure and track this.
My sophistication begins and ends with noticing my pants are looser and my shirts are tighter... I'm impressed by data-driven people.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom