all posts post new thread

Old Forum SFG Prep - Snatches and Volume

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
sweet thanks! I also picked up corn huskers lotion a few weeks back at a local HEB, so check there if you dont want to order online from amazon.

you can pickup "Climb On!" bar in your local REI store (if you have one) or get it online. It's the best thing that I know of for skin recovery.

amazon reviews

I've tried every pumice/file/pedi-egg product on the market. IMO, this is eaaaaasily the best one out there for keeping hand calluses in check: the Tweezerman Spa Callus Smoother.  http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-5103-r-Spa-Callus-Smoother/dp/B000WHYC7I/ Use it last thing in the shower after every training session (after your hands have had a chance to soften up).  You don't have to spend a lot of time sawing away, and if you do, you'll learn the meaning of "self-limiting exercise" because even sunlight hitting your newly sensitive skin will make you cry.  (Incidentally, this is true of any filing system. Don't overdo it.)  I don't think I ever spend more than 15-25 seconds on my hands per shower. Your calluses will remain, but you won't have the dead skin hanging around, just asking to tear.

mcneuen, I might just get one of those smoothers. I've been through a few pumice stones that haven't really worked great so that might be the ticket for these stubborn calluses!

Of course...I'll just say it's my wife's....

@Eric and anyone else who could benefit from this:

In case you haven’t seen this, here is RKC Jordan Vezina talking about the snatch and corrections in a video he made on Youtube. Right around the 9 minute mark he talks about the “drop and catch” and provides a slow motion look at how it’s done. Great resource (Thanks Jordan!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWl1FqdZMx8&playnext=1&list=PL9AF79277F7CC763A&feature=results_video

I find that I am having to relearn a bit in how I grip the bell on cleans and snatches but it sure will help to not get and rip calluses. Better late than ever I suppose

Great stuff guys! As someone getting ready to start a cert prep program, there is lots of valuable info here. If this forum evolves, this would be a great thread to stick up permanently for reference.

You have plenty of time, and Brett program is perfect.
Don't panic, and no rush for these 100 snatches.
An " explosive " swing will allow to do these 100 snatches on time, paced yourself.
My experience was for these snatches :
- quite stressed by these 100 snatches, very hard to do 100 in time,
- I paced myself, stayed concentrate on my explosive swing, on my technique,
and did more than 100 in time.
Don't panic, 9 weeks are enough.

Thanks, I will check it out. After this past weekend I feel better about the snatch test. I did the 5 min snatch test for the first time with a 24 kg and got 86 reps. I know i didnt pass but it has given me some confidence in what I can do in a couple months at the cert. I just have to keep working at it and be ready to go. Had a good day yesterday with my heavy presses. Got all reps of  5 sets of 1,2,3,4,5 with the 24kg. Moving up in weight next week. Can't wait!

I have had great luck with a razor blade for taking my callouses, just use extreme caution.  Works a thousand times better for me than any pumice stone or marketed callous remover.

Start the razor nearly perpendicular after a shower and scrape.  It will result in, pardon my language, very Parmesan looking flakes.  My wife hates it.

@Bill - thanks! I hope this post serves as help to many as that definitely was my intention

@Eric - Keep up the strongness bro. I'm a bit behind you in terms of conditioning as I have to stop for a bit and catch my breath, but I will get there!

@Rob - You are right with the razorblade. I just bought one of these last week

http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Safety-Slide-Callus-Shaver/dp/B000G62I12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358437604&sr=8-1&keywords=tweezerman+callus+shaver

and it took off way more than the pumice stone ever did. So much in fact that I felt like I had hands again afterwards. The pumice stone then worked great in smoothing it out. The only reason I was hesitant on buying it was because Ron Jones (in link I posted earlier in this post) didn't really recommend it. Well, it worked wonders for me so to each his own. Oh, and my wife hates mine too ;)

Yes, those work wonders, even better:

http://www.vansonink.com/product_images/v/589/Razor-Blades__74514_zoom.jpg

Takes more finesse, but is much more rewarding...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom