all posts post new thread

Kettlebell SFG's kettlebell and bodyweight program #1 on Amazon

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ChiBill

Level 6 Valued Member
I just picked up the new book by Aleks Salkin on Amazon and so far I'm very impressed. Aimed more towards beginners trying to learn kb and bw, stays very true to SF foundational principles while adding in OS resets in a really simple straightforward program.

Right now it's got the top spot on the Men's Health list on Amazon.

Aleks is an awesome guy, love every program I've picked up from him. Highly recommend this book and his work in general.

Amazon product ASIN B0B8XV9MM6

Is a detailed program provided? From the table of contents I can only see Week 1 and 2

Is a detailed program provided? From the table of contents I can only see Week 1 and 2
It's a 2 week plan which you can run as many times as you want. It's highly unusual, but his 9-minute-challenge also runs on a two week cycle and that has turned out to be quite phenomenal for me.

There's not a lot of detail provided, though. I think that's my one criticism: it feels like a beginner's plan because it doesn't go depth into long-term possibilities. Because I have some of that info already, I think I can make it work quite nicely for me.

Last edited:
This is a great resource if you want ideas for combining KB work with calisthenics and Original Strenght in a full body plan. The programming is similar to Geoff Neupert's style of programming.

I second @3letterslong 's opinion that some more details for long-term programming would have made it a better product. But then again it is still a great bargain, considering that you also get a link to video tutorials. For only 3 bucks I am happy to support Aleks even when I am not planning on following the plan in the near future.

I happen to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, and this title was free through my subscription.

I've had a pinched nerve in my neck for the last five weeks and have lost a substantial amount of strength in my left side. The doctor says it's a signal issue and not a true strength issue, that it will come back over time. Anyway, I've been encouraged to start training again and was looking for something body weight focused to ease back into things. I'm trying this program but will sub out the presses for more pushups. Presses aggravate my neck and are the cause of my injury. It seems like a back-to-basics routine, and that's probably where I need to begin again. Looking forward to it.

I happen to subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, and this title was free through my subscription.

I've had a pinched nerve in my neck for the last five weeks and have lost a substantial amount of strength in my left side. The doctor says it's a signal issue and not a true strength issue, that it will come back over time. Anyway, I've been encouraged to start training again and was looking for something body weight focused to ease back into things. I'm trying this program but will sub out the presses for more pushups. Presses aggravate my neck and are the cause of my injury. It seems like a back-to-basics routine, and that's probably where I need to begin again. Looking forward to it.

I hope it works for you! You might want to try pseudo-planche push-ups to hit the shoulders more.

Just got the book and I feel like there is something rather important missing, or maybe I just can't find it; what RM/TRM am I meant to use for each move?

I only skimread the book, so maybe this info is hiding somewhere...

Just got the book and I feel like there is something rather important missing, or maybe I just can't find it; what RM/TRM am I meant to use for each move?

Rep Max / Technical Rep Max.

RM would be pushed to your limit, TRM would be where your form changes.

For most of the moves, I just went with bodyweight progressions that I could get 10 reps with because that's how most EDT programs are written. I'm using a lighter kettlebell for pressing, doing sets of 7 reps, and doing unweighted regular squats for sets of 20, because loading with the kettlebell will have big jumps and I want to milk the gains I can from the lighter weights. Pretty soon those moves will be difficult with low reps, so I'm not going to worry about it as long as I'm getting stronger.

For most of the moves, I just went with bodyweight progressions that I could get 10 reps with because that's how most EDT programs are written. I'm using a lighter kettlebell for pressing, doing sets of 7 reps, and doing unweighted regular squats for sets of 20, because loading with the kettlebell will have big jumps and I want to milk the gains I can from the lighter weights. Pretty soon those moves will be difficult with low reps, so I'm not going to worry about it as long as I'm getting stronger.
A 10TRM was my guess as well. I just wish he gave some advice on how to adapt the program for different levels of strength. For example, my TRM for regular pushups is probably about 30. Should I use regular pushups with higher reps, add weight, or use dips?

A 10TRM was my guess as well. I just wish he gave some advice on how to adapt the program for different levels of strength. For example, my TRM for regular pushups is probably about 30. Should I use regular pushups with higher reps, add weight, or use dips?
I would find a harder push-up variation, add weight or use dips.

BUT if you look at the program, he prescribes the push-ups for sets of 10, which would be easier to handle after going hard on presses the previous day. So if you stick with the program as written, you can probably get at least one cycle out of regular push-ups before making them harder (like raising your feet onto something, doing diamond push-ups, doing psuedo planche push-ups, doing archer push-ups or adding weight).

I would find a harder push-up variation, add weight or use dips.

BUT if you look at the program, he prescribes the push-ups for sets of 10, which would be easier to handle after going hard on presses the previous day. So if you stick with the program as written, you can probably get at least one cycle out of regular push-ups before making them harder (like raising your feet onto something, doing diamond push-ups, doing psuedo planche push-ups, doing archer push-ups or adding weight).
Good points. It will likely be easier to adapt the pushup to be the right level than the press, since my KBs increase by 8kg

I've been doing the program for the past few weeks and really like it. I just started back to work after taking 2+years off and jumped into 1 of the more physically demanding construction jobs I can do. I was planning to add PTTP deadlifts to the program since I had @AleksSalkin approval but with restarting at work I've mostly left that off. The combo of KB, BW and OS is fantastic, especially so in my current situation. I'm planning to try out his "secrets of strength" program after milking this 1 for a few more weeks.

Just finished my first cycle of it and I'm considering doing a couple more, but I'm not sure when to up the weights instead of trying to get more sets in. Any thoughts?

I'm not totally sure but I'm thinking about upping the weight next week and maybe dropping the reps per set. Keep the auto regulation, but personally I prefer to work with lower reps/heavier weights.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom