all posts post new thread

Barbell SFL + Elite Prep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John DeStefano

Level 5 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
Hey all,

First time posting. So in October, I'll be attending the SFL. I also opted to recert my level 1+2 AND my SFB that weekend, and hopefully come away having earned Elite. I'm a bit concerned about prepping for so many things and want to get some input.

Anyone who has recerted like this before, when is the recert usually done? Sunday morning? When are the SFL tests? What did your training look like leading up to the weekend?

The biggest things I'm concerned about are all of the strength tests (DL, BP, OAOLPU, 1/2 BW KB Press) and of course the snatch test. Obviously with my SFB and SFG2, I've completed three of those events, but adding them on top of the SFL weekend is a bit intimidating.

As far as the barbell goes, I have pulled 2x BW on a few occasions, as recently as the end of April, but not without a belt. The BP is definitely my weakest lift. I have to get my bench up to 220-225. I PRed at 215 in March or April.

With all of that in mind, here are my training ideas and considerations:

- Adapt Craig Marker's Plan Strong press plan to bench pressing - two 6-week cycles (not sure how my body will like BPing 3x/week)
- DL 1x a week (not sure of plan or structure yet... my body does not like low volume/high intensity deadlifts)
- BB MP and BSq 1x a week (low volume and intensity - not too worried about these - I might even nix them and just test them once every other week or so)
- GtG OA and OAOL plank and PU variations (listening to my body because there will be sooooo much pressing....GtG is how I prepped for the SFB - about 4 weeks and passed that weekend)
- 044 Snatches (probably 2x/week, 28kg, possibly up to 32kg depending on how I feel after the first 6 weeks; a little bit of glycolytic peaking close the cert to get the feel of continuous fast snatching)
- throw in some level 1 and 2 skills here and there (again, not worried about these)
- 1/2 BW KB press...not sure really...I need to press the 40kg; I can press the 36kg any day of the week, so hopefully I'll have some carryover from everything else I'm doing; concern here is I like to train specifically, not rely on the WTHE.

What do you all think? Anything I am overlooking? Maybe some ideas on fleshing out a plan? How did you get yourself mentally and physically ready to meet all of these demands?

Thank you all in advance.

John

John

where are you currently at with your requirements that bother you?

let us start there and establish a baseline..

Hi John! Indeed, that is a lot of things to train for all at once.

Since you have 6 months after SFL to get the strength tests complete, I'd actually focus on re-certifying the other three instead. Get that in the bag and then focus on your SFL lifts. Otherwise, if you focus on bench and DL primarily and aren't ready to re-cert the other three, you'll miss your opportunity to do it that weekend for free.

And typically for re-certifying, it's up to the Master Instructor as to when there's time for someone in leadership to test you. It may even be broken down into different breaks throughout the weekend. The SFL strength (bench and DL) tests are done first thing Friday morning, and then the skills tests are typically after lunch on Sunday.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Arryn, I'll consider that. My certs are still good for another year, but like you say, it would be nice to do it for free at an event I'm already at (although I could bank on a special event coming close to me!). It might also give me the opportunity to be a student and really learn, rather than worrying about passing everything.

At the same time, I'm pretty close to being able to pass everything - kind of like that Tommy Kono advice (is that a Dan John thing?) of trying to be 3-4 weeks away from your peak. In this case I'm a few months away, lol, but I'm positive I can prepare and do everything that weekend. It's just going to take some intelligent decision-making and training.

The other thing is that while I really think it has been a good thing, both for the company and instructors, to put in place the 6-month pass window, why not train to pass at the cert if you can? I just like that mindset of saying that this is the challenge that you've set for yourself, and you're going to work to achieve it in this specific time frame.

Thanks for the insight into how they do the recerts as well. That's the exact thing I was wondering about.

I fleshed out my plan on paper. Decided on 4 days/week, but I may still drop it back to 3 days. We'll see how I feel. Prep starts this Sunday.

@johnnydeftonesa I agree that it would be ideal to pass at the cert. That feeling of accomplishment on Sunday is a sweet feeling.

If you would like any feedback on your plan, I'd be happy to look it over. Feel free to reach out. Otherwise, best of luck with your training and enjoy the process!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom