all posts post new thread

Barbell SFL experience - Oct 2017, Charleston, SC

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
This post is a write-up of the SFL course experience, following the tradition of my posts on the previous ones:

Jan 2015 SFG Kettlebell Course experience
Mar 2015 SF Bodyweight Course experience
May 2015 SFG1 at The Dome
And article on SFG I: How to Prepare for and Pass Your SFG Level I
Feb 2017 SFG II experience - Portland, OR, Feb 2017
May 2017 StrongFirst Lifter (barbell) 1-day course experience

The more I learn, the more I see how much there is yet to learn. Here we go.

First off, having done all of the above courses and certs, I can certainly say StrongFirst training is top quality. I can't say that it is better than all the rest out there, since I haven't attended others of this nature. But I have attended lots of training and education through several college degrees, 20 years in the military, and continued training in my primary career (IT); I was also an instructor for several years in the Air Force so also have had some insight into developing and delivering instruction. StrongFirst clearly has the right stuff -- a firm foundation of knowledge and experience, a dedicated and talented instructor corps, and commitment to gathering and responding to feedback for continuous improvement. Have you considered taking a course or certification? Why not? You will absolutely get your money's worth, I can promise you that. It is the most fun, you come away with tons of knowledge, and the value just cannot be calculated. These are the reasons that I keep talking it up -- and going back for more!

So most recently, I attended the StrongFirst Lifter (SFL) Instructor Certification SFL Barbell Certification Information Oct 13-15, 2017 in Charleston, SC at the Charleston Kettlebell Club. I chose this one for the location and timing and was hoping for (and pleased to find) a small group in attendance. Kettlebell certifications are a lot of fun in a big group, but for the barbell instruction I wanted absolute clarity, and individual attention. With Chief SFL Doc Hartle teaching and the two gym owners assisting (Brett and Mike who are both SFG II and SFL certified), we got both. The CKB was the perfect setting, and the hosting was excellent!

SFL is like SFG II in that you have to clear the strength tests on the first day. The technique tests are on the last day. After the weigh-in, check-in, introduction, and mobility/warm-up, we went over the rules for the strength testing on the bench press and deadlift. We were given about 10 minutes of specific warm-up time on these. First word of warning for candidates: you might not get a chance to do your ideal warm-up. This probably goes without saying for anyone who has been in competitions, but there are limited resources and limited time. So if you are very particular about warming up with specific reps, sets, and rest periods between them, let that go... you need to be ready with a flexible warm-up scheme. Oh yes, and on the weigh-in, it's as you are (clothes count) and the calculations are rounded up. All this to say, be ready to do your required strength test easily so these little details don't throw you off.

All that said, I didn't make the bench press strength test. In hindsight, it's obvious I didn't train this lift enough. 125 lb was my required strength test and I had only done more than that (130 lb) once, about 2 months ago after doing about 12 weeks of barbell training in the 4 main lifts. And in the weeks leading up to SFL I didn't do enough to maintain it. I mainly trained deadlift and military press in the last few weeks, with just a few practice sessions on the other lifts. I was doing kettlebell practice too, but there isn't much in kettlebell that carries over to the bench press. So I can say that this is one not to neglect.

Leading off with a test failure was a little disappointing, but that was my only big setback, and it was clearly a valid assessment. I now know what I need to do to make the requirement on this lift and I have no problem doing this via video when I am ready. The bench press and I will be good friends by the time I get to conquering it, and then I'll have my SFL certificate.

Next up was the deadlift strength test, and I got that solidly at 250 lb. You can do sumo or conventional on this strength test, whichever you are more comfortable with or feel strongest. I did conventional because that's what I've been training lately. With both of the strength tests, you have to do it to standards, but there is less focus on all the technique points as there is on the last day for the technique tests. You just have to safely lift the required weight.

With the strength tests out of the way, we started into instruction with the Zercher squat and the Front squat. The "SFL clock" is explained, which shows where the hips should go; i.e. where the tailbone should point to, for the various movements. The Zercher was new to me; or actually, I had practiced it a few times but I was doing it wrong. The barbell is in the crooks of the elbows, so I had tried to go down like a goblet squat with the hips low. Actually the hips should come back with tailbone pointing to 8:00, and the bar touch the top of the knees. ("If you bring your hips back to 6:00 or 7:00, you might as well front squat. You're hurting your elbows for no reason.") We actually loaded this up with weight after getting the technique right, and it was quite a neat challenge. Sort of like a deadlift, and sort of like a squat. I'm going to work on this one! It's very effective for the abs because the bar is farther away from the pelvis in the horizontal plane. Front squatting went better for me than I expected; I thought I'd have trouble with the rack position but really didn't. Again, practicing the set-up, the walk-out, the movement with just the bar, moderate weight, then loading it up, all in stages. The teaching progression is consistent and effective. We coached each other for everything because it's an instructor certification, and the assistants and Doc backed us up when needed. With each lift we build up to some heavy doubles and singles. I got up to 145 lb in the Zercher, 115 in the front squat. Another woman there did much more in all three, she was 30 lbs lighter than me and quite a bit stronger - super impressive!

A lesson on programming rounded out the first day. "Plan the work; work the plan." The three main schools of lifting, differences in responses, waviness, rate of adaptation, training age and what types of programs work for different people, assessing goals... and deloading. "If you don't plan time off, your body will plan it for you. It's called an injury." Make sure to include deload weeks in any plan.

First up on the 2nd day was the first POWERLIFT, the Back Squat. Doc's extensive powerlifting background shines through. 20 years of experience are condensed into our SFL manual and his instruction. Not only does he have the background in lifting, but he has the medical and anatomical knowledge to explain how the body works with the lift. He gives just enough for clarity, no overload of information; although he's great at answering questions for anyone who wants to dig a little deeper. He's just a fantastic instructor all around! So, what did I learn... well, there are 12 points on the back squat; the manual breaks these up into points to focus on; yes, there is that much. Each of the 12 points has a few points within it. The two main things for me were MORE TENSION (GLAG - glutes, lats, abs, grip), and standing up straight at the top (I kept coming up short of standing vertical; I think I have it now). By the way, getting set up properly with arms in as tight as possible requires good T-spine mobility; so arm bars and other drills apply here! It makes a difference. And, a good set-up will save you if you struggle with a rep and the hips start to come up first. Set-up is key for everything, every lift. Also, the finish of one rep is the start of the next.

The back squat is a hip movement, NOT a lumbar movement. This was emphasized quite a bit and we assessed each other with extreme detail to ensure we were doing it correctly and in a way that is safe for the lower back. Again, TENSION was emphasized -- you just cannot believe how much!! For everyone I see squatting (including myself, prior to the 1-day course), the tension they have in their arms, lats, grip, and abs is about a "2" on the dial, when it needs to be a "10". Most people just have no idea how much more tension you can build, and NEED to use, in the upper body when squatting. Bend the bar into your back. All the tension building makes a difference for safety, stability, and strength.

Continued in next below... (I have exceeded the post length limit!)

upload_2017-10-22_15-15-35.png

Last edited:
... Continued from above:

We also went over the high bar position for the back squat vs. the low bar, and the differences between them. We practiced both. Either one can be used for the technique test, and either one is good for training; it is just your preference. To support the squatting sequences, we went over the Hardstyle plank and Hartle plank. I learned these in the 1-day course, but worth repeating for sure. We learned and practice how to spot the back squat both from the back and from the sides. Spotting was covered for the bench press as well. We also did a drill inspired by Dr. Stuart McGill to find the proper squatting stance. Many tips and tricks to eliminate any butt wink when squatting. Big one -- again, ABS. More tension. More tension is the answer to so many things! But the abs will save your back -- (paraphrasing Doc) the spine is like a telephone pole, and the guy wires need to be tight on both sides.

More programming on Day 2; in fact, several hours of it. Another word of warning here. There is a vast spectrum of knowledge on programming, but everyone starts strength training at some point with NO knowledge of it, and we gained some through study or experience. Wherever you are in your knowledge, do some study by reading "Power to the People", "Easy Strength" or other books, and do some programs in your training. I learned so much through my total of 15 weeks of programmed training; 12 weeks of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, and 3 weeks of Pavel's PTTP. I have done more barbell training in total than that, but doing a program is different than doing barbell training as given to you by a coach, or training the lifts ad-hoc. With this still limited knowledge, I had the basis to understand what was presented, and I really loved it. Here again, the SFL manual is solid gold. There are variations on programs, explanations of programs, guidance that will serve me and anyone I coach for years to come. The format is particularly well laid out and clear with tables and outlines carefully and expertly presented. This is difficult material (I can only imagine how difficult PlanStrong is... and no, I'm not ready for that yet!) but all the programming info is awesome stuff.

2nd lift of Day 2 was the Good Morning (in the afternoon :)). I liked this one! I didn't practice this at all prior to the cert weekend. I did 135 lb solidly for 2 x 3, and did 1 at 165 but felt form was not ideal, so 140-145ish would be good for me, and challenging. I didn't feel this one in the back of the hamstrings where most people do because my hamstrings are pretty flexible (I can bend over and put flat hands on the ground), so learned a little different way to feel the correct tension and depth.

Sometimes I wonder, why do I need to attend the gold standard of instruction to feel fully confident in what I’m doing with my training, for myself and others? But on the other hand, it is quite obvious. Because we spend so much time, energy, effort in it; we invest ourselves in the pursuit. And to teach someone else, I want to know that I’m doing it right. I want to have no doubts. So in this course, I got that. By the time we were done, there was absolute clarity. No doubts left at all.

Which brings me to the bench press, the third lift of Day 2. SO much to learn. The set-up, so important. Why arch? (T-spine, not lumbar, by the way) ... because it puts the shoulders in a better position, enables better use of the lats, pre-stretches the pecs, and makes a shorter distance for the bar to travel. The bar should go straight down, and straight up. One of my mistakes was lowering to about the xphoid process; it needs to be slightly higher than that on the chest. We went over many details; again, tension is key -- and it's a little challenging, i.e. tense the abs while in the arch? Yeah, a different feeling. The role of the legs and how to set them up properly. The grip width and technique. The breathing. Anyhow, I was confident by the time this section was over, though I only went as high as 85 lbs. With everything we changed and practiced, and using all that tension, that was plenty of weight. No wonder I didn't get the 125 lb on the strength test! Doc did say that with this new technique, many people need to regress on their weight; however, they will progress better after training this way.

A couple more things about the bench press; the SFL certification course description says there are "Several Bench Press Variations"; they are in the manual, but (unless I somehow missed something) we did not go over them or practice them. Also, I included in my feedback form that I wish something about the bench press could be included in the 1-day course. There may not be time for it, but at least a short section in the manual... I feel like if people are going to train for a strength test, they should have the material to do it right. I know; hire a coach, right? But I think the 1-day course should be adequate for the motivated and otherwise strong candidate to train mostly on their own towards the SFL cert. This seems to me to be a missing element.

Day 3... Oh, I was stiff and sore by then! But our mobility sequence provided by host SFG/SFL Brett Bracken got us going. Morning was all about the deadlift; sumo and conventional, each covered and practiced separately. The deadlift is the lift I've been doing the longest (still, less than 4 years since my first 70 lb deadlift...) and have practiced the most. I also felt like my technique was really well dialed-in from Master SFG Jason Marshall's instruction at the 1-day course. Sure enough, no major adjustments -- except dragging the bar into my legs; no, I never wore deadlift socks before and never really learned to do that! So I'll be practicing the art of more pulling the bar into me. For me, the biggest takeaway from this section was SEEING the right position in others. Yes, it is one of those things that “you know it when you see it,” once you know are taught what to look for. So I'm excited about working with others to help them find this.

There was a lot more about the deadlift learned and covered, but I was feeling really strong at 235 lb (photo) and went too heavy on a new PR attempt; tried it twice and failed both times at 285 lb. After that, my lower back was unhappy with me and sort of shut me down from heavy attempts. Light was OK, and by the time we got back from lunch for the technique tests it was recovered and fine, and was fine the next day. Anyhow, no major drama during deadlifts but is always instructive to watch others. The biggest thing to know about the deadlift is that it's all about the set-up. If you get that right, all you do is stand up with the weight.

The last thing we did was the technique tests, and that went really well for everyone except a couple people who missed the Military Press. Flashback to SFG I... you may think you have the press... but do you have the required press weight on Day 3, fatigued, for 5 solid reps hitting all technique points? It's a more difficult task than it sounds. This one I did have solidly thanks to working it for 15 weeks, and that on top of training for a 24kg KB press for SFG II earlier in the year. The other tests are 5 deadlifts, and 5 back squats, showing everything that we learned, and at the weight designated in the requirements relative to bodyweight. The cert’s testing methods are consistent with what I experienced at SFG I and SFG II, except that you can miss a rep or two as a no count -- so you get 7 attempts to get 5 good reps. The assistants are the side judges, and Doc makes the final call.

There was so much more! Doc Hartle shares his knowledge generously... Advice on supersetting (no), box squats (no!), when to do correctives (end of the training session), backoff sets, recasting a cycle, what to do next after the SFL, how the gym can be "training to focus" which can carry over to the rest of your life. Just a few of many nuggets of wisdom we received.

I actually didn't think I would have this much to say about the weekend, because it had a clarity about it; less of a busy feeling than SFG I and II. It felt like we covered less; less words, less individual topics; but actually I think we covered more. The curriculum correlates extremely well with the SFG and bodyweight material. The fundamentals are the same, and the techniques complementary. I'm amazed by the comprehensiveness of the methods. Even when they overlap, I love to re-learn -- I'm convinced that one of the keys to learning is being able to re-learn, re-hear, re-visit things you have learned before. Then layer the new things on top. This, and quality practice, are what lead to mastery.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed my SFL course write-up. If I can answer any questions, of course I will try. I may try to write an article for the SF blog on SFL prep. In this case I learned a lot in hindsight. But once again, it is a great journey, as all the StrongFirst certifications are -- the preparation and training, the weekend with all the learning, lifting, and networking, and the knowledge and practice that you have with you forever afterwards. Go do it.

Last edited:
@Anna C Did Doc say why he is against box squats?

Hmm... I might be misquoting because I didn't have any reason to do them myself, so I didn't pay absolutely close attention. But as I recall, two reasons -- not working full range of motion (so, why do that?), but more importantly, because you LOSE TENSION when you sit down on a box. Losing tension while loaded is never a good thing.

I may try to write an article for the SF blog on SFL prep. In this case I learned a lot in hindsight. But once again, it is a great journey, as all the StrongFirst certifications are -- the preparation and training, the weekend with all the learning, lifting, and networking, and the knowledge and practice that you have with you forever afterwards
please do put something together as far as an article for the prep!

thanks for such a detailed review Anna

Have you considered taking a course or certification?
Yes :cool:

The bench press and I will be good friends by the time I get to conquering it
This makes my recovering powerlifter heart happy :D:D:D

"If you don't plan time off, your body will plan it for you. It's called an injury."
Can confirm :(
This seems more important for barbells than kettlebells for some reason. Maybe because hard KB weights are a % of body weight, whereas hard BB weights are a multiple of body weight?

Most people just have no idea how much more tension you can build, and NEED to use, in the upper body when squatting.
This is an oft overlooked component of the squat. Using jump stretch bands so that they add weight at the top of the lift can help drill this. The bands are constantly oscillating up and down; if you're not maximally tight you'll get owned. The squat was as hard on my shoulder girdle as the bench press. It helped to cycle them inverse to one another; a heavy week in the squat would be the light week in the bench, and vice versa.

Also, I included in my feedback form that I wish something about the bench press could be included in the 1-day course. There may not be time for it, but at least a short section in the manual... I feel like if people are going to train for a strength test, they should have the material to do it right
Hmm, I had the same thoughts about The Snatch and the KB 1 day course.

I never wore deadlift socks before and never really learned to do that!
Longs Socks + Deadlift = Happy Shins! You'll likely wear them out quickly, but look for any sock that is "slippery" when stretched out. Adidas soccer socks can work wonderfully. As an added bonus the compression on the calves feels good. Applying baby powder to the front of the legs can help too, since it helps the bar slide up the legs. Protip: have a training partner who is not pulling apply the powder!
There is also this EliteFts Sumo Deadlift Bar.

Flashback to SFG I... you may think you have the press... but do you have the required press weight on Day 3, fatigued, for 5 solid reps hitting all technique points?
Hmm, as I prepare for the SFG1 I'll have to keep this in mind. That's why I'm so thankful I'm able to work with Al to build a big engine.

I always get a gold nugget from your write ups Anna!

Great write up, ma'am, and great work, as usual. All of us here sincerely appreciate your efforts to illustrate the finer points and personal experiences of your studies.

Advice on supersetting (no)

This is interesting. What I like to do in my training is do a set of overhead presses then do a set of pull ups. I feel that this makes my workout better. But I guess it's how you define "superset." I don't run from the squat rack where I press to the pull up bar; I take my time and get some rest. I would agree that "running" from station to station would be a bad idea but I don't see what's wrong with my system. Did Doc give a reason?

box squats (no!)

Box squats never looked like a good idea. And for a high-bar squatter like myself, I don't even think they would serve any purpose.

This is interesting. What I like to do in my training is do a set of overhead presses then do a set of pull ups. I feel that this makes my workout better. But I guess it's how you define "superset." I don't run from the squat rack where I press to the pull up bar; I take my time and get some rest. I would agree that "running" from station to station would be a bad idea but I don't see what's wrong with my system. Did Doc give a reason?

I think it was more specifically about not supersetting the barbell lifts, especially the powerlifts, not so much supersetting in general. I like doing what you describe, too.

My impression of the reason is mainly: focus. 100% focus on the lift you're doing. Warm-up, do the work sets, then move on to whatever else you have that day.

@AnnaC So you mean that he would for example disapprove supersetting the DL and BP for someone doing PTTP? It makes sense. The powerlifts are full body movements. If the program asks for 5 mins of rest between DL sets, but you do a set of BP, you did not really rest 5 mins.

It probably depends on what you are looking for in a program though. Complexes are basically a giant superset without any rest and are proven to work for hypertrophy and work capacity. But this being Strongfirst, my guess is that he meant for strength.

Great review! I will be attending the SFL course in a few weeks and it is great to get some clarity on the order of things. I have been stressed out about not meeting the testing standards and have been training since June to meet them. I do have one question in regards to the bench test testing. I read in another post that you must pause at the bottom on the bench press. Is this true?

After reading this is only makes me more excited to attend and learn more about the barbell lifts. I have also considered writing up a SF blog post as while regarding the training plan I followed to prepare for the testing.

Appreciate your review!

Thank you, @Skylar Rubalcaba ! Glad the preview helped you feel more prepared and excited. You will love it.

I read in another post that you must pause at the bottom on the bench press. Is this true?

Yes. On the strength test, you will get the command to press AFTER you lower the bar to your chest and it is motionless. Then you also have to wait for the command to rack.

A blog article on your prep program would be great! I am working on one now that is sort of like this post along with some general prep recommendations, but I don't have a program to include.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thank you, @Skylar Rubalcaba ! Glad the preview helped you feel more prepared and excited. You will love it.

Yes. On the strength test, you will get the command to press AFTER you lower the bar to your chest and it is motionless. Then you also have to wait for the command to rack.

A blog article on your prep program would be great! I am working on one now that is sort of like this post along with some general prep recommendations, but I don't have a program to include.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Awesome thanks for you're insight. I'm planning on doing some type of write up when I'm done similar to what you did.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom