all posts post new thread

Barbell SFL peaking ideas!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey all,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to proceed for hitting my goals at the SFL Minneapolis.

Of note is the fact I'm currently in-season for my sport (baseball). This is amounts to 2-4 games a week, mostly 2 basically until the first week of August, so past the cert date. Therefore, I totally understand based on that commitment that I can't do a high volume program, and some weeks I realistically will have trouble getting in more than two sessions.

I will likely weigh in at 150 lbs. This means my DL will need to be anywhere from 300-305 depending exactly what I weigh. Going to do my best to come in at 149 lbs. Unless I come in at over 153lbs, bench will be most likely 190 I need to hit

Currently I've been doing PTTP for bench and DL, flexible wave cycle for both. I find I do very well with this style of loading. This plan culminates Monday or Tuesday next week, in which I will deload the rest of the week (I also have 3 games next week anyway). This leaves me six weeks from June 4th, of which the last day of that six week plan will be the Friday test day of the cert.

I've been doing a Dan John complex, 1 set of 5 reps of clean, front squat, military press, good morning as a warmup to my two lifts. I can do this at a moderate difficulty with 85lbs. My belief is that if I can do that comfortably at 95 lbs, I should be able to hit the military press goal of 105lbs for the technique test. I've been adding in a couple light sets, 2-3 reps, at 100-105 lbs just to get used to lifting that weight. DL and BSQ technique tests should not be a concern regarding weight.

BENCH: Last Friday, I hit 145x5 on bench at was in my estimation a 7-8RM; this is awesome as I started in mid-April with 145x4 at what I estimated a 5RM. If all goes well, I hope to hit 155x4 late this week, and maybe 165x2 early next week before deloading. It would be great if that 165 is not a true 2RM.

DEADLIFT: hit 235 for an EASY 5 Friday. I've also done 275 for an easy single. I have a peaking program from this site that Pavel posted about a "sort of max" of 305 and a nice six week, twice a week peaking program - Kettlebells and Deadlifts, Part 2 | StrongFirst. I've adjusted the weights for a "sort of max" of 295 and that should set me up for a 305 "sort of max", and I should be able to gear up and hit that on cert day.

My big thing is my bench. My estimated 1RM based on my lifts is 175. I don't truly think I can add 15lbs in six weeks, especially knowing I'm in season for my sport. I'm begrudgingly ok with not hitting the weight at the cert and doing it a month or two later, but I'd really like to come close. Maybe if I can get to and estimated 185 I can gut it out for 190 at the cert.

TLDR low volume peaking program to gain 10 lbs on BP in six weeks? Is the plan that I'm using for the deadlift a good option for bench too? thanks for the help!

Keep your DL strong; take the BP test later, via video/online after you've had a chance to put what you're going to learn into practice. No need to pass everything while you're there.

The same thinking applies to your other lifts - anything that's close and doesn't make you nervous is a good candidate to pass at the cert. Anything that needs work, wait and use the time you're given to improve your performance.

@Dr. Michael Hartle might have something to add.

IMHO, pressing likes a lot of volume, so I wouldn't try to rush things. OTOH, perhaps you'd like to post some video here and maybe someone's got a tip for you that will help.

-S-

I've been doing a Dan John complex, 1 set of 5 reps of clean, front squat, military press, good morning as a warmup to my two lifts. I can do this at a moderate difficulty with 85lbs. My belief is that if I can do that comfortably at 95 lbs, I should be able to hit the military press goal of 105lbs for the technique test.

I'd make sure you can MP your required 105 lb from the rack for 5 reps exactly per the technique test video.

My big thing is my bench. My estimated 1RM based on my lifts is 175. I don't truly think I can add 15lbs in six weeks, especially knowing I'm in season for my sport. I'm begrudgingly ok with not hitting the weight at the cert and doing it a month or two later, but I'd really like to come close. Maybe if I can get to and estimated 185 I can gut it out for 190 at the cert.

Don't let up on the bench! That was my mistake. My advice would be keep benching 2x/week in PTTP style, working the weight up per PTTP, then in the last 2 weeks decrease the reps and increase the intensity to peak your strength. You might get there... Even if you end up making up the requirement later, you don't want to backslide too far with this lift. I had hit my required weight once in training before the SFL, missed it at the SFL, and it took me 5 months to make it up afterwards, training the bench press that whole time. One more month, and I would have been out of luck! Also, do you have someone to help you with technique? Once you have some muscle built and are used to volume, you can get tips that can really add some pounds to what you are able to do if you get some good coaching. Examples: leg drive... abs... lats... grip... touch point on your chest... bar path... etc.

I would think the same approach would be good for DL -- stick with PTTP and then in the last 2-3 weeks decrease the reps and increase the intensity. And don't pull heavy at all past Monday before the cert weekend.

You didn't mention the squat -- are you good with that? There's not a strength test, but there is a technique test of 5 reps with a moderate weight.

Last edited:
thank you, both @Steve Freides and @Anna C

I am reasonably certain I can do the MP technique test if tested today. Since I don't need to drastically improve that lift, my goal is to practice that lift in warmup/on variety days and as my bench continues to increase, the military press will organically improve slightly. Part of my problem is that my shoulders/neck (especially left side) don't take kindly to a high amount of bilateral pressing, especially overhead. Probably in large part to 17+ years of baseball that has left me with some asymmetries in the upper quarters., which is why I have generally stayed away from bilateral pressing and stuck mostly with get ups and one arm MP with KB's over the years. I find I have little to zero residual effects from those lifts.

The back squat should pose no problems as far as weight is concerned. Will just keep watching the technique videos to ensure I'm up to standard.

I will try to post my lifts later this week. I want a video where the weight is a little on the heavy side to really get a good critique.

Last edited:
as my bench continues to increase, the military press will organically improve slightly

Yes I would agree with that statement, and sounds like you're in good shape with the MP and SQ.

Great, would be great if you get a video, 5 reps if possible with a good view of all of you and the bar - would be happy to give feedback.

You probably saw my article week before last, but just in case: A Look Inside the StongFirst Lifter (SFL) Barbell Instructor Certification | StrongFirst

Ok everyone, I uploaded a video from Friday's session. No military press, just the bench. MP will video to post next week. It was a 2x5 at 150 lbs. It was expected to be at about 82-85% of my 1RM. This was the second set, after 4 minutes rest. The last rep was tough, tougher than the first set. I think I got a little too far toward my hips on the initial drive. Better form I like to believe I could've squeezed one more if I was forced.

Right away I noticed that my arch is horrific. I thought I was doing WAY better in that regard. It barely looks like I'm arching at all! Any other comments on the lift would be helpful!!

Put on a tighter shirt so we can see the arch better, please.

Thanks.

-S-

I definitely do not pause nearly enough :( but any other thoughts are welcome!

I am far from being a bench presser, but it seems to me you are missing tension in the setup. It looks like the bar is to high and therefore you setup with your shoulders not packed enough. Also when you arc try to touch your shoulders down before your hips. Again, I rarely bench, but that what I figure from the video

I think it looks pretty good. Basically solid position, you're setting up correctly, your forearms are vertical from this angle. From your feet or your head angle they should also be vertical, to verify the correct grip width -- can't tell for sure from this camera angle but looks OK.

One thing on the set-up -- move down the bench about 2-3 inches from where you are. You want your eyes directly under the bar or just towards your feet so there's no chance of hitting the J-hooks when you're pressing up.

I agree you could use some more tension, yes, but I do see some. Just do a lot more of what you're already doing there. I find that it's a little harder to focus tension everywhere when the movement itself it so localized, as opposed to squatting and deadlifting where it's more obvious that the whole body is involved. What I've found to be helpful is use the warm-up and lighter sets to practice tension in specific places that you wouldn't otherwise be paying attention to: your feet screwed into the ground and a bridge of tension across your legs, your glutes, your abs, your lats, your shoulder blades, your grip.

As far as the movement, I think it's good except for the bottom of the movement. It looks a bit low on your chest, for one thing. Actively arching your chest up to meet the bar is helpful, and recommended in the SFL manual -- ""Row" the bar to your sternum." But the bigger issue is that it doesn't look controlled at the bottom; there's a little bounce off the chest and you seem to be less strong in that position. You have to practice a motionless pause at the bottom of the movement as this will be required on the strength test. You don't necessarily have to do this in all your training reps, but definitely practice it in your warm-up sets and some of your lighter sets, and then at some point you'll need to test your 1RM with the pause (have your spotter give your the "press" command once they see the pause, and the "rack" command once you push the bar up.) Getting control of this pause will do two things -- improve your control and strength at the bottom position, and prepare you for the test.

The pause and tension in that bottom position also ties into the tension mentioned in the first paragraph above -- be aware of the feet, legs, glutes, lats, abs, and grip when you're staying tight in that bottom position.

@wespom9, put a lot less weight on the bar to start and do a progressive session, e.g., with an empty bar, pause on your chest for 3 seconds, motionless, before you press back up. Use this as time to also practice pushing yourself away from the bar when you unrack it, and when you lockout each rep- pack those shoulders.

As you add weight to the bar, keep the pause at the bottom but make it shorter. I would, in your place, simply never bounce the bar off my chest - there's no point if someone is going to judge your reps and require a motionless pause. About the only use for a bounced press for someone in your situation is if you go over 1RM and just want to get used to having a heavier weight in your hands, and that's not necessary nor is it the best way to do that - a board press, with a pause, will help you more.

I'm about your size - here's my BP from a competition I found on my YouTube from 2014. You'll see the controlled descent, the pause, and the judge issuing the Press command.

-S-

Really helpful advice everyone. My colleague who does competitive powerlifting mentioned the same advice regarding re-setting the shoulders after each rep, as well as using warmup or back off sets with an exaggerated pause as both @Anna C and @Steve Freides mention.

@Anna C I do feel from the video that I am pressing from too low down on my chest as well. However, I don't feel like it's low when I'm performing it.

I find I have a very hard time keeping tension in the lower half once I go to unrack the bar. My colleague says that the bench I'm using is lower than a standard powerlifting bench, which he says may be why it feels more difficult.

I'll work harder on that tension and active negative as well. My only question now for my last six weeks is do I re-do that last cycle with the same weights, but better pause/technique or do I go with my original plan of adding 5 lbs? I feel like by practicing better on my warmup sets I could stick with my plan, but I don't want to cheat myself for the short term.

@wespom9, bench lower than competition height are, in my experience, unusual - higher is more common. 17"-19" is standard height, check out the USAPL or other federation's rule book.

-S-

re-setting the shoulders after each rep

I have a note from SFL that says "corkscrew the shoulders"... that cue might help, especially since you've done the SFB and you do that for the OAPU.

@Anna C I do feel from the video that I am pressing from too low down on my chest as well. However, I don't feel like it's low when I'm performing it.

I have that issue as well... I think it's a combination of having long arms (can't change that!), having only a moderate arch (keep working to improve, with tension on the bench), and not flaring the elbows up towards your shoulders (which is good - don't change that. upper arms at 45 degree angle to the bench when in the bottom position is good.). You might try going a finger width or two wider on your grip and have someone look at your forearms from the feet view and make sure they're still close to vertical. And then try touching a little higher - the zyphoid process is what I remember Doc referring to.

I find I have a very hard time keeping tension in the lower half once I go to unrack the bar.

I got one of those tool box liner sticky mats to put in my gym bag, and I lay it on the bench. Then when you set up you can use the leg drive to push your body up the bench without sliding. Once you get enough weight on the bar that's not an issue, but with warm-ups and such, it may be. It also really helps dig your upper back into the bench when you're getting set up, and during your set.

My only question now for my last six weeks is do I re-do that last cycle with the same weights, but better pause/technique or do I go with my original plan of adding 5 lbs? I feel like by practicing better on my warmup sets I could stick with my plan, but I don't want to cheat myself for the short term.

My advice would be to use the heaviest weight that you can use to do your sets and reps with good form and then adjust for the intended amount of stress for your program frequency. I might be able to better advise if you can go ahead and determine what that weight is, currently (your heaviest with good form) and then describe exactly what you're doing program-wise (reps/sets/frequency) between now and SFL weekend.

I'm far from an expert bench presser, but I got back into it recently and have been paying attention to leg drive. It makes a big difference and it seems to be missing in the videos, although that is something that is very difficult to judge from images.

For me, it is easier to practice leg drive at lower weights. When I get close to 2-4 RM, it becomes harder somehow to practice. Maybe I am then just too concentrated on tension in the upper body and the lower body takes a hit. It seems that you are now lifting a bit too heavy for practice if your form is not dialed in. Your fourth rep at 155 seemed close to a max. Maybe you had another one in you, but it would have been a struggle. If you still want or need to lift "heavy", you can do a bit more warmup sets to practice technique.

When done correctly, it feels like the leg drive takes 10-15 percent of the weight off the bar at least. I use is to lower the bar, make a short pause at the bottom, and try to push the floor with my feet as I start the ascent, while tensing all the body. There were times where I felt I was close to cramping in the legs when doing the BP. I dialed the tension a bit down after that, as having a cramp with a big weight over the face is probably not a good idea, but I still try to keep plenty.

To adjust the timing, I do sets with a weight at about 60-70% of my max and play with the timing until I get that "what just happened" here feeling. When you really do it right, it seems like you have a helper. Doing sets at a small 1 RM percentage allows you to do many reps in a row and practice timing as the feeling from the previous rep is still fresh, and you still have ample lifting capacity left. Of course, you need a minimum of weight to really feel it and to stay well away from failure.

Thanks for the thoughts @Manuel Fortin . Indeed, 155 x 5 was my expected 5RM based on my cycle. I stopped at 4 because I wanted to leave gas in the tank and end with the heavy double to finish the cycle.
You are correct in saying I haven't been getting optimal leg drive. Luckily, my weights won't reach that height again until about 3-4 weeks, so I'll have at least 8 sessions or so before getting back to that. Plenty of opportunity to take into account what you and others have suggested!

I don't keep a training blog on the site, but update: I've incorporated a better pause in my lifts and I am feeling good. I just did 140 x 5 for 2 sets and it went up very well. Hoping that 150 x 3 x 2 on Thursday goes just as smoothly. Feel like I'm much tighter, and I'm actually feeling the leg drive assisting the lift now.
Military Press is also going well: hit 95 x 3 today after my bench session and it went up at a 7/10 effort level. 100 or 105 x 5 is expected for my technique test, so today was a good confidence boost!
I don't know yet if it's the best strategy, but I'm doing all my MP lifts at the end of my sessions because I want to be fatigued when I do them (which will be the case at the end of the last day of the SFL!)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom