all posts post new thread

Barbell SFL Prep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Coty84

Level 1 Valued Member
Has anyone put together a prep program covering everything for SFL?
I followed Brett Jones prep program for SFG level 1 for over 4 months and found myself very prepared for the weekend of work. There are links for programs to bring up a specific lift on the SFL page but no plan to cover all the bases like with the SFG. Currently starting a Wendler 5/3/1 program. SFL not until July.

Hi @Coty84

Looks like you have a good timeframe to work with. One of my SFL classmates who is a StrongFirst team leader, Brian Wright, estimates that an average SFG would need about 5 months of preparation for the SFL certification.

I'm working on a blog article to expand on this post [SFL experience - Oct 2017, Charleston, SC] where I'll include some general recommendations, but don't have a prep program to include with it.

There is no SFL Prep program out there that I know of. I did 5/3/1 for 12 weeks, then PTTP for a few more weeks. I had a small class at SFL so I didn't detect any common themes of what others did as far as prep programs. Of course, if you can hire a coach who has done SFL, they can program something specifically for you. I think that might be a very good option, and maybe not too expensive since you probably just want to have someone design a program and maybe do one or two form checks online. Another option is a custom Plan Strong plan. I am currently following one to build my bench press to meet the requirement and finish out the SFL.

Also be sure to check out Pavel Macek's tips: Tips for SFL Barbell Candidates [Video Series]
And the SFL standards video.

Good luck with your barbell journey and keep us posted!

@Coty84
the way I see it, the SFL preparation is very specific to each individual.

A good article full of valuable tips: How to Prepare for, Pass, and Get the Most Out of the SFL | StrongFirst

Where are you at the moment with the strength requirements ?
I have never done 5/3/1 myself, but for what I know about it, it should give you a good and lasting base for meeting the strength requirements by July. If you like it an it works, keep going.
Ensure that you also practice the lifts the way you will be tested (see article above).

I have no statistic, but at my cert, people failed mainly because of strength. At the strength test of course (myself and my pitiful bench included), but also at the technical test with the military press. It always surprises me to see someone who can bench 1,25BW struggle with a 2/3BW press, but it is what it is. So don't forget to build a solid press the last few months if you don't have one already.

How comfortable are you with your technique for the 3 technique tests ?
Even though they seem easy, the focus is technique. I have witnessed quite a few no-counts because of a high squat or a rounding low back. Ensure during your training that you build a proper lift, not just a heavy lift.
My own experience is that you can be fooled by the apparently light weight. At 70kg, I can do sets of 5 with more than twice BW, so the technical 105kg was really light. I did not respect it, lost focus and had a no-count for low back rounding! I can tell you that for the remaining 2 or 3 reps, I wedged properly and kept my back flat! :)

Work capacity

The SFL is not as draining as the SFG, but we lift a lot, and heavy! After each teaching segment, we practice the lift with light weights, and then we have the opportunity to work heavy. Many will go for a heavy single. Be prepared for it.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Great! Thank you.

I'm glad to see people are finding the article valuable! When I wrote it, I noticed that there was a lot of information on prepping for the SFG, and almost nothing on prepping for the SFL.

I don't have a lot else to add to this, except to my universal advice for everything, which is, if you can find a coach, get a coach. Good coaching can save a lot of wasted time and energy.

Yes, it's a great article, @Jake Steinmann ! And for the one I'm working on, there's a ton of stuff there that I won't have to repeat because it's all valuable and accurate. If mine gets published I'll make sure to link back to yours.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom