all posts post new thread

Barbell SFL recert advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
So my gym is opening up the 22nd of Feb after being closed since Nov 11 due to COVID. I was to recert in November after I attended Strong Endurance but couldn't film before gyms closed. I don't yet know the timeline SF will give me to get to the standards but I'm just feeling out some recommendations on the strategy I should aim for.

DL - very confident on the first session I could hit my 1.5x BW for 5. I feel a 1x a week session of 2x5 will get me to my 2xBW DL very quickly. My "daily max" is pretty close to that. In the recent past (my training for recert prior to gym shut down) I started at 195, went up 10lbs a week and ended with a SMOOTH 275 single on the same day I did 245 x 5. This was the last session before shut down.

MP - .66 BW x 5 is tough, but doable. For me this is 95 to 100 lbs depending what I weigh in that day. 90 x 5 is doable no question.

BP - this is my nemesis. 150 x 4 was TOUGH during my training prior to closure.

Back squat - not a concern other than ensure good technique. 145 x 5 FSQ is a good workout but doable with good form for me.

My initial thoughts
PTTP style BP with a flexible wave, 3-4x a week. Attempt the SFL at the end of the cycle, permitting the cycle ends within the timeline I'm given.
1x a week heavy DL for 5. Start at 205. and work up. I've been doing 1 arm swings with a 28kg, variable volume and I am strong in this regard.
MP very light, as a back off set to the BP just focusing on technique.

On the day, I plan to do in this order. Thoughts on this are welcome as well!
Max BP
BSQ technique
MP technique
Max DL
DL technique

I will update this post once I know my exact timeline.
Thanks team!

@wespom9, I would do an assessment on your first day back at the gym. Do your testing in the assigned order, with the maxes working up conservatively just to a "sort of" max, and the technique tests at your test weight if they're not too hard. That will give you the best information on how to structure your training and how much time you may need. Also, video all of them if you can for the best information and practice. Don't forget the pause on the bench press...

I think 5 x 5 is brilliant for BP, at least up to a point. Start with 135 lb x 5 reps x 5 sets (or take a few weeks to work up to that), then 145, and just keep going. When 5 x 5 doesn't seem possible, switch to 4 x 4, 3 x 3, etc. If 135 is too heavy for a starter weight, go 115 instead.

That's your weekly heavy day. Across another day or two, aim to get in more volume with lighter weights, but stick to sets of 5 or more.

BP likes volume and high frequency, IMO.

-S-

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions! I plan to work up to a heavy double my first day back as a gauge.
Steve I believe you are right on the high/low volume split. I think that will be my general strategy!

Thanks

Here's some good news for you.

If you recert SFG1+SFL here's what you need to test on

SFG1 skills, snatch test, barbell strength (2xbw) barbell military press 2/3 bwx5

So you can then shift to barbell MP.

since your barbell MP strength test is slightly lower than pressing double 24s for 5, can you manage the latter?

Believe it or not, I have the SFB/SFL but not the SFG! Just never worked out schedule/travel. Was booked for the Dome in April before COVID. At this point it will be at least 2 years before I do it; I have no intention to travel anytime soon.

I let my SFB lapse over a year ago, the SFL I just decided to recert because I took the SE course and recert is free when taking another course.

OK so since it's a pure SFL recert I Re-read your baselines..

Stick to your strategies for the squat and DL

For the MP, I suggest doing PTTP starting with 80 lbs just to rebuild your groove then follow a flexible wave

For the BP, if you can bench twice a week, I'd use the muscle media 2000 add 50 to your bench program minus the accessory work and a tweak with a heavy single, send me a message so we can set up a call and I can discuss the tweaks (a bit too tedious to type everything for me)

Wes
That is a different situation—please email me and we will discuss.

For now the SFL recertification is the full recertification.

@Brett Jones thanks, I will tack that on to our existing email chain (about this thread!).

Also update on my original topic - I have 90 days to complete the SFL requirements, so am fairly confident with all the great advice so far!

UPDATE: I started at 125 for 5x5 and then added 5 lbs when I hit it. This week I did 135 x 5,5,5,5,4. That's Mondays. Fridays I work up to a top set of 5, although I altered it to be a "cluster" set of 10 second rest between each rep, re-rack. I want to get used to the feeling of a solid single. 140 x 5 in that fashion went well last Friday, 145 upcoming!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom