all posts post new thread

Barbell SFL Training Review #5: Squat +

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

surftrip

Level 2 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Team: So I added the goblet squat per @Steve Freides request. Also, tried to address many of the comments from y’all over the last few video submissions. It can feel a bit vulnerable at times sharing all of this with you :) I have such mad respect for all the talent here, and many times don’t feel worthy, but hope to get there. Here’s another video, and again I have a thick skin, have at it… :)

Last edited:
Much better..

The later reps in your back squat were more pleasing to the eye than the first 2-3 from my angle

Good job dude! I have no expertise and limited experience in bb but I love watching form reviews, coaching, and progress being made.

Much better..

The later reps in your back squat were more pleasing to the eye than the first 2-3 from my angle
I agree. Took me a minute to get my mind in the muscle. It still requires thinking for me. Not yet automatic. More training will hopefully fix that.

Good job dude! I have no expertise and limited experience in bb but I love watching form reviews, coaching, and progress being made.
Thank Larry. I have a LOT of barbell experience, but unfortunately, almost no quality coaching, which can be worse than having NO experience :) You have to unf**k yourself.

You look primed for SFL! You're going to love it. You will get further tuning there, but you are solidly in the ball park to learn and absorb the finer details. Hope to hear all about it when you return.

I'll add a plug for using safety arms on your bench press, if you don't have a spotter... even when the weight is light for you.

@surftrip, back squats look _way_ better - nice!

For goblet squat videos, I know when I watch my students do them, the view I prefer is straight sideways. If you get a chance to do that, would be great to see.

-S-

@surftrip, a good goblet squat. If you work on your hip mobility, it will become an even better goblet squat. I'll guess that your stance will eventually get a little narrower - look for the stance that lets you sink the deepest while maintaining your upper body posture.

Here - Kettlebell - Single Kettlebell Squats and Knee pain - I posted a video of me doing a 1-kettlebell front squat. The mechanics are basically the same. If you look up the bootleg copy of More Russian Kettlebell Challenges on YouTube - please don't post a link - and go to the 9:25 mark, you'll see Pavel T. talking about the 2-kettlebell front squat. Again, the mechanics are about the same.

-S-

@surftrip, a good goblet squat. If you work on your hip mobility, it will become an even better goblet squat. I'll guess that your stance will eventually get a little narrower - look for the stance that lets you sink the deepest while maintaining your upper body posture.

Here - Kettlebell - Single Kettlebell Squats and Knee pain - I posted a video of me doing a 1-kettlebell front squat. The mechanics are basically the same. If you look up the bootleg copy of More Russian Kettlebell Challenges on YouTube - please don't post a link - and go to the 9:25 mark, you'll see Pavel T. talking about the 2-kettlebell front squat. Again, the mechanics are about the same.

-S-
Thank you, Steve - what are some of your favorite hip mobility improvement movements?

I am a big fan of both Super Joints and Relax Into Stretch, two books by Pavel. Reading both of them yields a result greater than the sum of the parts, IMO. I practice deep, bodyweight squats regularly, and the Cossack Sequence from SJ, if memory serves, regularly as well. I have worked up to a suspended side split, and one of the ways I did that was a little sequence of working martial arts splits to one side, then the other side, then repeat that a time or two, and then going into a side split.

I know many people shudder when they think about working on splits, but I went and found a quiet corner and did them at the break of an orchestra rehearsal on Monday evening - when I'm tired and stiff, they're really rejuvenating. Of course, I'm not striving for my best split in the middle of a rehearsal, but just going through the motions pretty gently because a side split is a stretch for lots of things.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom