all posts post new thread

SG Training Log

Sam Goldner

Level 6 Valued Member
Howdy. If you’re reading this, thanks for your time and attention; if you’re not, totally understandable.

Quick background:
30 year old male; about 205#; husband and father
Physical therapist, strength and conditioning coach, nutrition coach, firefighter/EMT
15ish years MMA (not on the mats as much as used to but still get some in)
Specialize in treating and working with tactical athletes and combat sports athletes but I’ll work with basically anyone

Injury History - the only thing relevant still is my right shoulder clunks; possible labral involvement. First noticed it around 2020, non-painful; became painful around end of 2021; treated (details below) and now still clunks less frequently and with no pain
The shoulder issue was likely caused by workout imbalance for too long. I like minimalism and focus in my programs, but too much for too long without balance leaves gaps and gaps make things fall apart. I focused on overhead press for about 1.5 years and neglected doing enough pulling to maintain my shoulders properly; I should have had a cycle or two mixed in there focusing on pulling and I would have been fine. Didn’t do that, lesson learned. Treatment progressed from traditional physical therapy exercises, to adding in horizontal pulling, to adding in bottoms-up carries, to adding in crawling, to adding in hanging, to adding in bottoms up getups, to adding in pullups, to adding in horizontal pressing, to adding in vertical pressing. Throughout the many month process I progressed or eliminated the lower level exercises as needed.
From this whole ordeal I learned how to be more patient and trust the process; don’t impose my deadlines on G-d’s reality; just do what I’m supposed to and the results will go whatever way they’re supposed to. I’m not saying I’ve fully embraced it, but I’m better about it than I used to be, so at least I was able to pull something positive out of it.

My training plan for now is to focus on things other than pressing and let that improve ancillarily (don’t think that’s actually a word but it conveys what I want); so far that plan seems to be working based on the test results I’ll write below. Block periodization appeals to me for numerous reasons and I’ve never really tried it before so I plan to take it for a test-ride.

Primary exercises will focus on are Kb Snatch and DLCCJ. Secondary exercises will be crawling, DKb FS, and some type of upper-extremity pull.
Push: Crawling, plus some from Kb Sn and DLCCJ
Pull: Whatever upper-extremity pull I pick, plus some from Kb Sn and DLCCJ
Hinge: Kb Sn and DLCCJ
Squat: DKb FS, plus some from DLLCJ
Loaded Carry: Crawling

Block 1 will be a speed block utilizing King-Sized Killer for the Snatch, then EMOM crawling; variety days will include low/medium volume/intensity DKb FS and upper-extremity pulling.
Block 2 will be a power block utilizing a doubles version of Long Cycle of Death, then EMOM crawling; variety days will include low/medium volume/intensity DKb FS and upper-extremity pulling.
KSK and LCOD are from @Geoff Neupert and are the exact same program just different exercises. I like the simplicity of using the same parameters, and each utilizes 3 week phases so the blocks are short-enough to maintain the benefits of the previous block. The DLCCJ lets me overload the hinge and add more load since I’m using doubles, then translate that into speed and get some unilateral benefits with the single-bell snatch, which then sets me up to swap back to the DLCCJ with better force-production capability and stability, which then…

I completed about 6 weeks of an introductory version of the above program to make sure my shoulder was up to the idea and to get an idea of what load I should be using based on that shoulder. I have standards for my firefighters that I want them to achieve so I structured the tests based on those. The standards are as follows:

Push: .05xBW 1-Arm Press 1RM (we do a lot of unilateral work and want high strength in case of emergency)
Pull: BW+50# Pull-up 1RM (we do a lot of pulling, our gear weighs a minimum of 50#, and want high strength in case of emergency)
Hinge: 2xBW or 400# Deadlift, whichever is lower (we pick up things/people in various stances/positions and want high strength in case of emergency)
Squat: 1.5xBW Zercher Squat (we pick up things/people in various stances/positions and want high strength in case of emergency)
Loaded Carry: BW Suitcase Carry for 50 feet (we carry things all the time and want high strength in case of emergency)

My testing protocol is a self-selected weight for a comfortable set of 5, then add a self-selected weight for a comfortably heavy set of 3, then add a self-selected weight and go for a 2RM; if too heavy have a true 1RM, if perfect calculate 1RM off of the 2RM, if too light keep going and calculate 1RM based off of however many reps achieved. This protocol puts control in the hand of the individual being tested by letting them autoregulate the load, and it teaches them to pay attention to how a weight feels and what they’re able to do with it.
Test Results Sun, 11/06/22
Kb Snatch = 32k x 8 but shoulder clunked more than I wanted, tested again at very end of session with 24k and will be using that even though I can get more than 8 reps with it because I want to make sure the shoulder is good even when fatigued
Kb DLCCJ = not tested because going in to KSK block; will test when going in to LCOD block
ZS = 275# 1RM (too heavy for the double)
Pullup = 16# estimated 1RM (from 2RM)
OAP = 42k estimated 1RM (from 2RM)
DL = 385# estimated 1RM (from 2RM)

Previous RMs (for those that I’ve tested)
ZS = 250# 1RM (can’t remember when but many many months ago)
OAP = 40k 1RM as of about a year ago, and was shakier and painful on the right
DL = 405# as of end of March 2022

Why I say my plan seems to be working is because ZS improved even though haven’t done any in a few months, my DL dropped by only 5% over about 6 months even without really doing any maintenance lifts on a regular basis, and OAP improved and is also prettier and painless. I attribute the ZS improvement to regular DKb FS, DL maintenance to Kb Ballistics and FS, and OAP improvement to filling gaps through my rehab process and achieving better balance in my workouts.

This week will be a deload week because I’m feeling worn-down from work, not sleeping well, catching something from one of my little plague-carriers, etc. I don’t plan on this being a regular occurrence; just need it now and then will start the plan for real next week. I’m looking forward to this program and I hope my log will be helpful for others.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the log progress.

Interesting training style similar to what I am beginning to do (lots of short phases of Neupert programs one after another).

I also like the idea of minimalist training but switching focus from single to doubles and movement to movement to avoid overuse injuries.

Mon 11/07/22
BJJ class - Gi; 65 minutes

Back and posterior neck are sore, probably a combo of RM testing yesterday, doing BJJ on Fri for the first time in months, and whatever bug I’ve got. Since this week is a deload week, I plan to work in some sessions of stretching and hopefully that takes care of it. Nothing bad enough to get in the way of anything but I notice it whenever I bend over, lean, or look down.

Last edited:
Tues 11/08/22
Static stretching, full body, did some extra for paraspinals, QLs, and lats because that’s where I’m the most sore - 20 minutes
Felt a little better after the stretching; also slept well last night so that probably helped, too. Almost over whatever my kids gave me.

Last edited:
Wed 11/09/22
BJJ class - Nogi; 60 minutes
Slept really well last night and feel back to normal. Will finish out this Deload week with some more stretching and maybe another Nogi class, hopefully. Excited about starting my real program on Sunday/Monday.

Fri 11/11/22
BJJ Class - Nogi; 65 minutes

Feeling great. Stoked to start workout again, probably Sunday. Hoping to be able to consistently get a day or three of MMA (kickboxing, BJJ, or both) which will mean my variety days will be less frequent; totally okay with that.

Sun 11/13/22
Warmup:
A) Kettlebell Clean + Press x 24k = 7/1 each side
B) Goblet Squat + Bicep Curl = 1/1 + 7/1
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 1 Week 1 Day 1 x 24k - 1,2,3,4,5; 120 alternating sides
B) Lizard Crawl = 15 sec/EMOM x 10 min
C) Hanging Roll to Tuck Front Lever = 5/3

Notes:
Workout Rating = 4 Easy 5 Good
Did Snatches as follows = Right, park, immediately Left, park, rest if needed before next rung on right side, continue until done. Meaning, no rest between sides until rung is finished but switch hands from floor so have to do the first rep of each rung from dead-stop
Did some of the Liz Crawl up and down stairs

Last edited:
Tues 11/15/22
Warmup:
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 1 Week 1 Day 2 x 24k - 1,2,3; 109 alternating sides
B) Lizard Crawl = 15 sec/EMOM x 10 min
C) Hanging Roll to Tuck Front Lever = 5/3
D)DkbFs with Calf Raise at Top = 32k + 24k x 5/2

Notes:
Workout Rating = 5 Easy 5 Good
Mixed some other types of crawls in with the Liz Crawl
Not sure if will get variety days in this week so knocked out a few medium intensity squats, and calf raises, to check the box

Last edited:
Thurs 11/17/22
Warmup:
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 1 Week 1 Day 3 x 24k - 1,2,3,4; 126 alternating sides
B) Various Crawls = 15 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Didn’t have time for additional exercises

Last edited:
Sun 11/20/22
Warmup:
A) Kettlebell Clean + Press x 24k = 8/1 each side
B) Goblet Squat + Bicep Curl = 1/1 + 8/1
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 1 Week 2 Day 1 x 24k - 1,2,3,4,5; 140 alternating sides
B) Various Crawls = 18 sec/EMOM x 10 min; 6 sets down stairs forward/up stairs backwards, 4 lateral with flexed arms on floor

Notes:
Didn’t have time for additional exercises

Last edited:
Tues 11/22/22
Warmup:
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 1 Week 2 Day 2 x 24k - 1,2,3; 134 alternating sides
B) Lizard Crawl = 18 sec/EMOM x 10 min; mixed a set or two of other crawls in

Notes:
Workout Rating = 3 Easy 4 Good
Had time for additional exercises but felt like I had done enough work; tired and foggy, didn’t sleep well last night.
Was very slow and deliberate during crawls, focused on trying to use muscle not momentum and be as smooth as possible

Last edited:
Wed 11/23/22
BJJ - Nogi; 60 minutes

Notes:
Was feeling pretty sluggish until started class and then felt way more energetic

Thurs 11/24/22
Warmup:
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 1 Week 2 Day 3 x 24k - 1,2,3,4; 140 alternating sides
B) Lizard Crawl = 18 sec/EMOM x 10 min; stairs

Notes:

Last edited:
Sun 11/27/22
Warmup:
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 1 Week 3 Day 1 x 24k - 1,2,3,4,5; 156 alternating sides
B) Lizard Crawl = 18 sec/EMOM x 10 min; stairs

Notes:
Workout Rating = 3 Easy 5 Good
Looking forward to switching to DLCCJ next week

Wed11/30/22
Warmup:
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 1 Week 3 Day 2 x 24k - 1,2,3; 158 alternating sides
B) Lizard Crawl = 18 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Workout Rating = 2 Hard 3 Good
Had a gnarly headache all day, dropped down to a simmer by the end of the day so snuck in my workout even though wasn’t really in the mood, went away as I started working out but still wasn’t really in the mood to workout. QL region of my back bilaterally was barking at me near the end of the workout from the volume of unilateral work. Felt a little better during/after crawling, did some diaphragmatic breathing in child’s pose and then stood up and told myself stop being a baby and it felt better. Win for positive self-talk.

Sat 12/3/22 (after Sabbath)
Warmup:
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 1 Week 3 Day 3 x 24k - 1,2,3,4; 162 alternating sides
B) Lizard Crawl = 18 sec/EMOM x 10 min, stairs

Notes:
Really pleased with my numbers today (last day best day), but even more pleased this was the last day before switching to DCJ tomorrow. QL fatigue pain again, glad I’ll be doing bilateral work for the next three weeks
Made a goal last year to at a minimum be 1 pound less than last year at the completion of 2022 as compared to 2021. Stopped paying attention for a while but now that the year’s coming to a close need to do so again. Need to end at 205# or lighter. Will weigh-in tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sun 12/4/22
Warmup:
A) Kettlebell Double Clean + Seesaw Press x D32k = 1/2
B) Goblet Squat + Bicep Curl x 32k = 1/1 + 2/1
Work Sets:
A) Double Long Cycle of Death 1.0 Phase 1 Week 1 Day 1 x D32k - 1,2,3,4,5; 25
B) Lizard Crawl = 22 sec/EMOM x 10 min
C) Hanging Tuck Front Lever Rolls = 5/3

Notes:
Tested DCJ with the D32k and they were a 7TRM with no meaningful shoulder issues; perfect. Super excited to be throwing those around now and to have a significantly lower overall volume; it also makes a better contrast to the KSK blocks going from high volume with the 24k to low volume with D32k.
I’ll consider the last block of DLCOD to be introductory because I did it with D24k. That means as of now I am in the second of 6 alternating blocks (the last three weeks of KSK will be block 1/6).
Weighed in at 211.8; less than 1 month to lose 7 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom