Pull-up = 15# x 3

-Loosen cuffs for break, retighten beginning of next superset

C1) Bench Press = 155# x 6/3
C2) Chest Supported Row = D40# x 8/3
Pull-up = 15# x 3

D1) Feet Elevated on Physioball Hip Bridge = 10/3
D2) Kickstand Quarter Squat + Terminal Knee Extension = Black band x 10/3
D3) Double Leg Calf Raise = 5sec Negative x 15/2, Double Up Single Down Calf Raise = 5 sec Negative x 15/1
Pull-up = 15# x 3

-Cuffs removed

E1) Wall Heel Slide Knee Flexion = 60sec/3
E2) Wall Knee Extension = 20/3
F) Foam Roll Gastroc/Posterior knee

Notes:
Loosened cuffs as needed during supersets
The past few days have been miserable for my knee; walked about 6 blocks to synagogue on Fri night, was there for about an hour, then walked 6 blocks back; brace kept sliding off during return walk. Whole leg ached that night and the next day, stayed around the house and barely did anything, didn’t wear brace because I was angry at it and it’s stupid (still slightly angry at it). Slept poorly Saturday night, then woke up Sun morning and had lateral knee pain like I haven’t in a really long time, best way to describe it is pressure/pain right before popping a knuckle or joint. Felt like I was set back a few weeks. Had that all Sunday and into Monday anfternoon…until my workout, after which I felt WAY better.
Foam rolling no longer feels like a bomb going off in my calf, so that’s a plus, too.

Lesson: don’t skip PT when you’re in pain; that’s the time to do PT. Modify as needed, but the whole reason you’re doing PT is because you hurt; skipping it entirely won’t magically make you feel better.

Last edited:
Tues 5/23/23 - PT S&C P1W2D2
-All BFR cuffs on and very snug

AMRAP pullups = 7
A) Dumbbell Single Arm Incline Press = 55#x9/3 (too heavy, should have done 50#)
Pullups = 5

B1) Landmine Press = 45#x9/3 (too heavy)
B2) One Arm Bench Dumbbell Row = 45#x9/3
Pullups = 5

C1) RDL + Row = D40#x10/3
C1) Single Leg Shuttle Press = 50#x10/3
C3) Double Leg Calf Raise = 5secNeg x 15/1, Double Leg Up Single Leg Down = 5secNeg x 15/2
Pullups = 5

D1) Physioball Decline Plank = 45s/2
D2) Straight Leg Raise Abd/Add Circles = 15/2 each direction
D3) Supported Shuttle Donkey Kicks = 10/2
Pullups = 5

-Removed BFR cuffs

E1) Wall Heel Slide Knee Flexion = 60sec/3
E2) Wall Knee Extension = 20/3

Notes:
Still have lateral knee pain but workout went well. Weights too heavy because of BFR cuffs; still dialing in (very clever) the right pressure and getting the feel to be consistent.
Felt a little pop during the last set of Wall Heel Slide Knee Flexion when went for a bit more flexion; it was posterolateral, so nothing back there should have been stressed with that motion, but my knee is all wonky right now so there’s no way to know. Most likely it’s just capsular stiffness from the injury and some trapped gas or scar tissue or a bit of the capsule popped, nothing to worry about but uncomfortable right now.

Wed 05/24/23
Physical therapy session today.
Did BFR with a fancier cuff but only on the R leg (limitation of the fancy cuff is need a separate machine for each so that ain’t gonna happen) and performed:
A) Sissy Squats within comfortable ROM, 3 up 3 down tempo, stop set at 2 RIR, 3-4 sets, no idea total volume, just trying to concentrate on not wanting to die
B) Calf raises, single, 2 leg up 1 leg down, 2 leg, same tempo and RIR, again don’t know total volume for same reason
C) Physioball Hamstring curls with isometric glue bridge, same tempo, RIR, and only thinking about not wanting to die

Notes:
Lateral knee pain is gone, knee flexion PR (post-injury) of 112 pre session and then 114 post session; I feel good today. Really like BFR a lot, glad I have the opportunity to play with it.
Worked through the emotional challenge of accepting I need surgery, should be scheduling that within the next month or so, still need a bit more time rehabbing the MCL and other ligaments, and getting the best range of motion/strength/function I can prior to surgery.

Thurs 5/25/23 - PT S&C P1W2D3
-All 4 BFR Cuffs on and very snug

A1) Plank Leg Lifts = 20/2
A2) Left Sidelying Hip Abd/Add Circles= 20/2
A3) Plank Shoulder Taps = 20/2
A4) Right Sidelying Hip Abd/Add Circles = 20/2
AMRAP pullups = 6
B) BU Press with Band-Resisted ER = 15#x10/2
AMRAP pullups = 6

-Loosen cuffs for break, retighten at beginning of next superset

C1) Pushups with Iso Hip Extension = 10/3 each leg
C2) Inverted Row with Iso Hip Flexion = 10/3 each leg
AMRAP pullups = 3

D1) Prone Leg Curl = 30#x15/2
D2) Leg Extension = 30#x15/2
D3) Double Leg Up Single Leg Down Calf Raise = 5sec Neg x 15/2
AMRAP pullups = 6

E) Cardio = 5 min cuffs 3 min no cuffs/3 rounds

-Removed BFR cuffs

F1) Wall Heel Slide Knee Flexion = 60sec/3
F2) Wall Knee Extension = 20/3
G) Foam Roll Gastroc/Posterior knee

Notes:
Went well. Feeling decent, will see how I feel tonight, though, because already walked a bunch today when I went to Costco for two things that were all the way in the farthest corner of the store.

Mon 5/29/23 - PT S&C P1W3D1
All 4 BFR Cuffs on and very snug

A1) Plank Leg Lifts = 30/1
A2) Left Sidelying Hip Abd/Add Circles= 30/1
A3) Plank Shoulder Taps = 30/1
A4) Right Sidelying Hip Abd/Add Circles = 30/1

Pull-up = 20# x 3
B) Straddle Sit 1-Arm Overhead Press = Waiter 45# Bb Plate x 5/4
Pull-up = 15# x 3

C1) Bench Press = 155# x 6/4
C2) Chest Supported Row = D40# x 8/4
Pull-up = 15# x 3

D1) Feet Elevated on Physioball Hamstring Curl + Hip Bridge = 10/1, Bridge + March = 10/2
D2) Various closed chain quad exercises = 10/3
D3) Double Leg Up Single Down Calf Raise = 5 sec Negative x 15/3
Pull-up = 15# x 3

-Cuffs removed

E1) Wall Heel Slide Knee Flexion = 60sec/4
E2) Wall Knee Extension = 20/4

Notes:
Loosened cuffs as needed during supersets
Couldn’t come up with good ways to progress the hamstring and quad exercises, march was too hard, felt twisting torquing, quad exercises were too easy. Oh well, will see what the next phase brings.
Didn’t do a lot of activity the past few days, some days felt fine some days ached.
Couple hot spots during foam rolling but nothing crazy or as bad as weeks ago; definitely felt like ROM is improved.

Last edited:
Tues 05/30/23
Played around with a bunch of machines at a gym while wearing the cuffs. Started with compound movements and then shifted to isolation.
Just seeing how things feel so I’ve got an idea of what I can do post-surgery in a few months. Got a good workout in; I know it’s not ideal because it’s machines instead of free weights and it was a lot of isolation versus compound exercises, but this isn’t an ideal situation so I don’t care. It’s better than doing nothing and will probably fill some gaps I have. There’s always a positive to dabbling in something different every once in a while, getting out of our comfort zones.

Wed 5/31/23 - PT S&C P1W3D2
-All BFR cuffs on and very snug

AMRAP pullups = 8
A) Dumbbell Single Arm Incline Press = 50#x8/4
Pullups = 6

B1) Landmine Press = 45#x8/4
B2) One Arm Bench Dumbbell Row = 50#x8/4
Pullups = 5

C1) RDL + Row = 95#x10/3
C1) Single Leg Leg Press = 50#x10/3
C3) Double Leg Up Single Leg Down = 5secNeg x 15/3
Pullups = 6

D1) Bear Crawl = 30 steps/5
Pullups = 5

-Removed BFR cuffs

E1) Wall Heel Slide Knee Flexion = 90sec/2
E2) Wall Knee Extension = 30/2

Notes:
Limping a lot today, workout felt good but didn’t change the limping afterwards.
Did bear crawl VERY cautiously, went good but should keep it at that level of caution

Last edited:
Mon 06/05/23
PT session, did BFR Hip Thrusts with 65# and TRX Hamstring Curls with no added weight. Absolute murder, it was wonderful.
ROM improved, knee extension 0 to maybe a degree or two of hyper extension (either is fine, my good side has a couple degrees of hyper extension so that would be what we’re looking for); knee flexion 120 to 122 degrees (depending on when measured), which is just above 80% of the other side.
Walking is better but still a challenge some days, still having pain and aching at end of day if over do it and/or pain during the day. Right now it’s mostly sharp and poky pain around the patella.
Planned out the next workout/rehab phase with my PT, very excited about it, going to focus on muscleups for an upper body goal. Haven’t done them for about 7 years, will be nice to get them back. It should be something I can keep working on after surgery, too; wanted to pick something that didn’t need lower extremity at all in case it’s super annoying to even use the R leg as a stabilizer/keep out of the way during something like bench or overhead pressing.
I did the programming for this round but I’m trying to keep it true to my PT‘s style, he’ll look it over and adjust as he sees fit. It’ll be a good hybrid of our styles.

Tues 06/06/23 - Kneehab + Muscleup Phase 1 Skill Day 1
10 minutes
Assisted Ring Muscle Ups = feet on floor, feet on box, jumping
10 minutes
Iso holds top of dip, bottom of dip, top of pull-up, bottom of pullup, about 3-5 sec each position
10 minutes
A1) Single Leg Romanian Deadlift x 4,6 Ladders = 0# x 30 each side
A2) Bulgarian Split Squat x 4,6 Ladders = 0# x 30 each side
A3) Loaded Carry = Suitcase x 50#

Notes:
Was wiped out at the end of the day and not really in the mood to work out, also had the start of some pretty nasty DOMS developing in my posterior chain so wasn’t really in the mood to work out. Did it anyways, glad I did. Forgot to bring BFR cuffs with me so didn’t use them.
After the session, shortly before going to bed, the DOMS got really really bad, whole posterior chain bilaterally but even more so in my left glute and a right adductor.
DOMS was most likely from the Hip Thrusts during Monday’s PT session.

Wed 06/07/23 - Kneehab + Muscleup Phase 1 Strength Day 1
10 minutes - 2,3 Ladders
A1) Zercher Box Squat = 20” x 40# Sb x 12
A2) Parallel Bar Dips = 0# x 12
10 minutes - 2,3 Ladders
B1) Hip Thrust = 40# Sb x 15
B2) Kipping Pullups = 15
10 minutes - Loaded Carry Practice
Bear Crawl

Notes
DOMS was HORRIBLE, worst I’ve had in 15 years since starting to work out consistently. Didn’t do BFR because the thought of wrapping those cuffs around my tender legs was frightening.
Didn’t feel any better after the workout but wasn’t expecting to.
I actually think doing the first two sessions in this miserable DOMS state was good; it let me go into the session with no intensity or volume goal, just with the mindset of doing it and getting acclimated to the structure. My ambition wasn’t clouding my ability to just feel how things were going and what makes sense to expect in the future when DOMS is gone.

Thurs 06/08/23 - Kneehab + Muscleup Phase 1 Skill Day 2
10 minutes
Assisted Ring Muscle Ups = Green Band, 4 or 5 reps
10 minutes
Iso holds top of dip, bottom of dip, top of pull-up, bottom of pullup = about 3-5 sec each position, 5 or 6 reps
10 minutes
A1) Single Leg Romanian Deadlift x 4,6,8 Ladders = 0# x 18 each side
A2) Bulgarian Split Squat x 4,6,8 Ladders = 0# x 18 each side

Notes:
Woke up this morning and DOMS was 98% gone. Very happy about that.
Actually remembered to use the timer for the last block of exercises, hence why volume is much lower than last session.
Didn’t use BFR cuffs because legs were still a bit tender.
Did a PT session today but it was all testing for progress, also had followup with Ortho doc. MCL healing really well, surgery scheduled for end of July, don’t need to wear brace all the time, ROM and strength continuing to improve. Still have pain/apprehension/feeling of instability/fatigue, but definitely objectively and subjectively improving.

Mon 6/12/23 - Kneehab + Muscleup Phase 1, 2 Sessions
Skill Day 3

10 minutes
Assisted Ring Muscle Ups = Green Band, 2/4
10 minutes
Iso holds top of dip, bottom of dip, top of pull-up, bottom of pullup = about 5 sec each position, 3 to 5 reps
10 minutes
A1) Single Leg Romanian Deadlift x 6,8 Ladders = 0# x 20 each side
A2) Bulgarian Split Squat x 6,8 Ladders = 0# x 14 each side

Wore BFR cuffs and broke the one on my left (non-injured) side. I take it as a passive-aggressive insult to my right side that it’s muscle mass has apparently diminished to the point it didn’t also break its cuff.

Strength Day 3 - multiple hours later
10 minutes - 3,5 Ladders
A1) Zercher Box Squat = Comf ROM x 135# x 16
A2) Parallel Bar Dips = 20# x 16
10 minutes - 3,5 Ladders
B1) Hip Thrust = 135# x Green Glute Loop x 18
B2) Pullups = 10# x 18
10 minutes - Loaded Carry Practice
Bear Crawl

Didn’t wear cuffs because broke one and wasn’t in the mood to putz around with them for the second session.
Squat depth limited by R lateral knee pain, ortho thinks its capsule. Weight was otherwise too light but not sure if want to add or stay the same and concentrate on ROM.
Hip Thrusts were too light. Setting up for them is annoying; my thighs are just slightly too big to make it comfortable to sit on the floor and roll the bar up my legs with the bar pad on (I use a sliced pool noodle). I’m open to ideas.

Last edited:
Wed 6/14/23 - Kneehab + Muscleup Phase 1 Skill Day 4
12 minutes
Assisted Ring Muscle Ups = Green Band x 3,2,1,2,2
12 minutes
Iso holds top of dip, bottom of dip, top of pull-up, bottom of pullup with Eccentric transitions = about 4 sec each position/transition, 4 to 5 reps
12 minutes
A1) Single Leg Romanian Deadlift x 4,6 Ladders = 25# x 14 each side
A2) Bulgarian Split Squat x4, 6 Ladders = 25# x 14 each side
A3) Loaded Carry = Db Rack x 50#

Notes:
No BFR cuffs. Can go heavier on the SLRDL and BSS but will probably stay the same for another workout or two.
Db Rack Carry was tough on abs/shoulders/biceps.
Should stick with doubles for ARMU x Green RB for a few more workouts.
Need to remember to have my chalk with me as an option to use, or tape the handles of my wooden rings.

Thurs 6/15/23 - Kneehab + Muscleup Phase 1 Strength Day 4
12 minutes - 2,3 Ladders
A1) Zercher Box Squat = Comf ROM x 135# x 15
A2) Parallel Bar Dips = 25# x 15
12 minutes - 2,3 Ladders
B1) Hip Thrust = 185# x Blue Glute Loop x 15
B2) Pullups = 15# x 15
12 minutes - Loaded Carry Practice
Bear Crawl x 50# vest

Notes:
Spectacular workout, was able to ease into ROM for Zerchers where elbows hit thighs, still not full range for me but better. I think I was shifting my weight to the left a tad or twisting my pelvis a bit but it wasn’t major; needs to be corrected, but I’m definitely better than I was even a workout ago.

All the other exercises felt really good, too.

Last edited:
Fri 6/16/23 - Kneehab + Muscleup Phase 1 Strength Day 5
12 minutes - 2,3 Ladders
A1) Zercher Box Squat = Comf ROM x 135# x 10; + Orange Glute Loop x 10
A2) Parallel Bar Dips = 25# x 20
12 minutes - 2,3,5 Ladders
B1) Hip Thrust = 225# + Blue Glute Loop x 20
B2) Pullups = 15# x 10 (2,3 rungs); Kipping x 10 (5 rung)
12 minutes - Loaded Carry Practice
Bear Crawl x 50# vest

Notes:
Exceptional workout; ROM on squat was near full and more comfortable even than yesterday, still think I have a bit of a lateral shift. There on the Orange Glute Loop for the last 10 to see what that did for my lateral knee pain, improved it, will likely continue to utilize a glute loop in the near future.
Hip Thrusts are getting uncomfortable even with the bar pad I’m using. I’ll continue trying them, but if need be will switch to deadlifting, I should be able to do that comfortably but I want to stick with Hip Thrusts for a while if possible because now’s the only time I’d be willing to do them instead of a different hinge.

Sorry I haven’t been consistent with logging; short version is thing’s have been busy, knee is improving in strength and ROM, program is going well. I need to probably increase the amount of isolation exercises I’m doing, particularly calves and hamstrings, maybe also quads, but that’s an easy enough adjustment. Still have pain below/behind the kneecap, goes away sometimes but last week was back with a vengeance. Can’t quite figure out what that pain is from/why it’s happening, which is frustrating.

Update: I can do ugly singles of Strict Ring Muscleups, knee is vastly improved but still have deficits. Surgery scheduled for Fri, Jul 28. Have increased the isolation calf/hamstring work I’ve been doing and it’s helping with pain. I think the pain I was having behind/around/below the kneecap is due to decreased activation of the hamstrings and calves, so now that I’ve been boosting those it makes sense my pain is diminished.
Planning to continue focusing on Strict Ring Muscleups so that I have a goal to work towards and because they’re cool but I don’t normally have room in my program to work on them. Last phase I used a combo of eccentrics/isometrics/band-assisted RMUs on one day, and weighted pullups/dips on the other. Worked well, shifted this phase to band-assisted on one day and ring dips/false-grip pullups on the other.

Back
Top Bottom