Warmup:
A) Kettlebell Double Clean + Seesaw Press x D32k = 1/2
B) Goblet Squat + Bicep Curl x 32k = 1/1 + 2/1
Work Sets:
A) Double Long Cycle of Death 1.0 Phase 1 Week 1 Day 2 x D32k - 1,2,3; 31
B) Bear Crawl and Drag Sandbag x 40ish# = 22 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Workout Rating = 5 Easy 5 Good
Didn’t have time for other exercises but felt really good after this session; didn’t sleep well last night but still was excited to hit today’s workout
Weighed in 2010 with no food/drink prior at 202.2#; now just need to stay 205# or less by end of year.

Last edited:
Wed 12/07/22
Variety Day
DKFS x D32k = 3/3
Straight Arm Hangs x 60# = 15ish seconds/3
Loaded Carries = A bunch for whatever distance carrying in whatever way

Thurs 12/8/22
Warmup:
B) Goblet Squat + Bicep Curl x 32k = 1/1 + 2/1
Work Sets:
A) Double Long Cycle of Death 1.0 Phase 1 Week 1 Day 3 x D32k - 1,2,3,4; 33
B) Various Crawls = 22 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:

Thurs 12/8/22
Warmup:
A) Kettlebell Double Clean + Seesaw Press x D32k = 3/1
B) Goblet Squat + Bicep Curl x 32k = 1/1 + 3/1
Work Sets:
A) Double Long Cycle of Death 1.0 Phase 1 Week 2 Day 1 x D32k - 1,2,3,4,5; 36
B) Liz Crawl Stairs = 22 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Workout Rating = 4 Easy 5 Good
DCJ felt great, RPE same or lower than last week but got 11 more reps. Crawling was a killer, made my R shoulder feel better but was really difficult for some reason.

Wed 12/14/22
Heavy Bag - 15 minutes
BJJ - Gi technique; 15 minutes

Right elbow injury from a few months ago is back. Originally due to resisting a submission, rehabbed it, but it came back with a vengeance a few weeks ago. Not entirely sure what it is. Will monitor and adjust program as needed.

Thurs 12/15/22
Warmup:
Work Sets:
A) Double Long Cycle of Death 1.0 Phase 1 Week 2 Day 2 x D32k - 1,2,3; 40
B) Liz Crawl = 22 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Workout Rating = 5 Easy 2 Bad
Super not in the mood to workout tonight but did it anyways and had a great session; hated everything the entire time, though. Haven’t slept well in a few nights.
Still need to pay attention to weight as end of the year is coming up quickly.
R Elbow still an enigma; right now considering might be lateral epicondylalgia that radiates into the biceps; will potentially get another set(s) of eyes on it at work to try and figure it out.

Fri 12/16/22
Variety Day
A1) DKb Single Leg DL = 40k+48k x 3/3 each side, heavy bell held contralateral
A2) Chin-ups = 3/3
B) EMOM x 10’, alternated each minute between 48k DSw x 5 and GSq x 3, remainder of minute jump rope

Notes:
Didn’t do Kb FS because giving R elbow a break from the impact of the bell landing on my irritated wrist extensors.
Need to buckle down on nutrition to make weight loss goal

Sat night (after sundown) 12/17/22
Warmup:
Work Sets:
A) Double Long Cycle of Death 1.0 Phase 1 Week 2 Day 3 x D32k - 1,2,3,4; 43

Notes:

Sun 12/18/22
Warmup:
B) Kb DCP x D32k =1/2
C) Goblet Squat + Bicep Curl x 32k = 1/1 + 4/1
Work Sets:
A) Double Long Cycle of Death 1.0 Phase 1 Week 3 Day 1 x D32k - 1,2,3,4,5; 48

Notes:
First time I’ve pressed double 32s; tonight while doing the Seesaw presses I felt like I could easily get a DP so I went for it and it was pretty easy for 1 rep, probably is a 2-3 RM. It’s been almost 9 months since focusing on pressing but I’m now pressing more than I’ve ever been able to with single and double kettlebells (not sure about barbell; haven’t tested). Thank G-d, it seems like the shoulder rehab I did and the programs I’ve been running recently are getting the job done even without prioritizing pressing.

Mon 12/19/22
Variety Day
A1) DKb Single Leg DL = 40k+48k x 5/2 each side, heavy bell held contralateral
A2) Chin-ups = 5/2
B) EMOM x 10’, alternated each minute between 48k DSw x 5 and GSq x 3, remainder of minute jump rope

BJJ - Gi, 60 minutes

Tues 12/20/22
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k =3/1
C) GSq+ BC x 32k = 1/1 + 4/1
Work Sets:
A) Double Long Cycle of Death 1.0 Phase 1 Week 3 Day 1 x D32k - 1,2,3; 48
B) Various Crawls and Hangs = 22 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Right elbow hurts, used it too much in BJJ

Sat night (after sunset) 12/24/22
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k =3/1
C) GSq+ BC x 32k = 1/1 + 4/1
Work Sets:
A) Double Long Cycle of Death 1.0 Phase 1 Week 3 Day 3 x D32k - 1,2,3,4; 50
B) Various Crawls and Hangs = 22 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Right elbow hurts, used it too much in BJJ
Right AC joint barking from BJJ
Giant callus tear on second to last set, annoyed but whatever.
Last day best day, happy with progress. Hopefully elbow, shoulder, and hand won’t require modifying the plans.

Sun 12/25/22
Warmup:
Arm swings and the circles
Work Sets:
A) King-Sized Killer 1.0 Phase 2 Week 1 Day 1 x 24k - 3, 6, 9; 108 alternating sides
B) Liz Crawl = 26 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Workout Rating = 4 Easy 4 Good
Blanked on doing higher rep presses and goblet squat curls for my warmup so just threw my arms around a bit
Callus tear on left hand was really annoying, took it easy because of that. R shoulder ACJ was still irritated so also took it easy for that. Overall a good session but irked about the hand and shoulder.

Mon 12/26/22
Variety Day
Went to Rockin’ Jump with the family and did all the various things with the kids for 60+ minutes

All the thumbs up for this session.

Weighed in today before food/drink at 206.2# on a scale I know measures heavier than the one I usually use. As long as I don’t go crazy and pay attention to what I’m eating, I should be able to be 205# or less by the end of the year and meet my goal.

Mon 12/27/22
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 24k = 8/1 each side
B) GSq + BC = 1/1 + 8/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P2W1D2 x 24k - 3,6; 126 alternating sides
B) Bear Crawl x 40# Vest = 26 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Snatches felt easy excluding callus tear still annoying, better than the workout before, though. R shoulder ACJ also improved. Crawls were tough, switched to Bear with vest to give elbows and shoulders a break from the near isometric work of lizard crawls.
Crawled mostly in a box pattern to go all 4 directions, also did 2 sets of just turning around in circles.

Wed 12/28/22
BJJ - Gi; 60 min

Crushed it on the mats today. R arm feeling decent, hopefully on the upswing, tried to baby it while rolling.
Weighed in at 204# today after Gi, no food or drink yet today. Was 205.6# last night after my workout but before dinner. As long as I keep paying attention for the next few days I should be fine.

Thurs 12/29/22
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 24k = 8/1 each side
B) GSq + BC = 1/1 + 8/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P2W1D3 x 24k - 3,6,9,12; 138 alternating sides
B) Various Hangs = 26 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Workout Rating = 5 Easy 4 Good
I was pretty tired from a long day of work but I dragged myself to the workout and felt good while doing it. Shoulder was bothering me a lot before the workout but felt fine during. Wore homemade, tape, gymnastic hand grips underneath workout gloves as padding for my torn callous; will probably have to do that for a few more workouts. Hangs were realistically about 20 seconds because I was lazy with my setup.

Fri 12/30/22
Variety Day
A) SLDL = 48k+40k+40# Weight Vest x 2/5 each side
B) Walk to pickup a kid from preschool
C) DFS = D32k + 40# Weight Vest x 3/3
D) Walk to pickup another kid from school
E) Jump Rope = 3 min/3 with 15 seconds High-Knee sprint to start and finish round, about 1 min in between rounds

To meet my weight loss goal I need to be <205# before midnight tomorrow night. Sunset Fri night to Sunset Sat night is our Sabbath, which means a giant holiday type meal Fri night for dinner and then another one for lunch on Sat. The plan is to take small amounts of whatever I want and eat it slowly so that I don’t hate myself the whole time just watching other people eat, but I’ll avoid gorging myself by taking small portions and eating slowly. I still anticipate needing to do a garbage-bag-wearing workout Sat night to sweat out enough to artificially make my goal. I recognize this is not a healthy long-term solution and that it will be uncomfortable; that is part of the idea. By still sticking to the plan and suffering for it, hopefully next year I will be more responsible for the entire year instead of what I did this year: be responsible for 6 months, forget about it around June, and then remember in the beginning of December and need to do this.

I like setting a minimum goal of being 1#< each year; it’s one of the many good ideas that’s come out of the Dan John/Pat Flynn episodes that Pat Flynn releases on Tuesdays, don’t remember which episode. The goal, to use their term, is a “seatbelt,” meaning, an automatic absolute minimum thing we do without thinking that takes almost no effort but can have a very big impact. In this case, it not only means I am losing weight, something I need to do, but it also means I’m not gaining weight each year, which is the typical progression for most people as they age, including myself.

If I remember, I’ll write my other goals in a future entry.

Sat Night (after sunset) 12/31/22
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 24k = 9/1 each side
B) GSq + BC = 1/1 + 8/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P2W2D1 x 24k - 3,6,9; 1 alternating sides
B) Liz Crawl = 26 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
As suspected, I needed to do a garbage bag workout; weighed in at 211.2 after Sabbath. Slapped on some garbage bag shorts, threw on a garbage bag shirt, regular shorts and pants, two regular shirts, and got cracking. Walked around with a 40# weight vest for a while getting some chores done and getting the kids to bed, then did my workout. Workout was about 30 minutes, then walked around the house (with and without the vest) and jumped rope for 150 total minutes until I hit my weight goal. I ended 2022 at 204.6#.

I learned a number of valuable lessons from this experience:
1) my scale is the devil; it fluctuates by a few tenths of a pound every couple times I step on it
2) weight cutting is miserable. I always knew this intellectually and always try to talk my fighters out of it, but experiencing it helps with fully understanding what they put themselves through. The whole time I wanted to quit and get a giant drink of water.
3) I remembered how much I hate classical cardio.
4) due to the culmination of all of the above, I never want to do this again. Being responsible and taking the tortoise approach is a WAY better and enjoyable approach
5) unrelated to the workout/sweat session: I can enjoy Sabbath (and holidays where we have similar meals but even more of them) without stuffing my face even when I’m surrounded by food for hours. Again, I already knew this, and it’s something I tell clients/patients all the time, but this was a very deliberate and mindful experience that really drove it home. Pleasure does not equal quantity; a food-based social situation does not require overindulgence. I had a wonderful time and sampled many many dishes but probably had 1/3-1/2 of what I normally eat.

Back
Top Bottom