all posts post new thread

SG Training Log

Sun 01/01/23
Went to Discovery World with the kids, did a lot of walking there and the rest of the day. Good outing, kids were crying when we had to leave so apparently they loved it.

I want to increase my baseline level of activity so I plan to elevate my step-count; got the idea from a couple different places, but most recently was listening to a bunch of episodes of the Renaissance Periodization podcast and it’s something they use a lot. I am currently aiming for about 7k steps each day, most days of the week. So far so good.

Mon 01/02/23
BJJ - Gi, 60 minutes
Had some really good roles today with high pace against heavy and strong guys. Don’t normally get a pace like that with people that big and/or strong. Most of the time they get tired or we get stuck in static positions, so the tension might be high but there isn’t a lot of scrambling. 2/4 matches today were high-tension but with a lot of really good scrambles.
Was a tad sore still from my Sat night sweat session but totally fine. R elbow and shoulder are improving but still not perfect.

anBn

Fri 01/06/22
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 24k = 9/1 each side
B) GSq + BC = 1/1 + 9/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P2W12D3 x 24k - 3,6,9,12; 160 alternating sides
B) Various Hangs = 26 sec/EMOM x 10 min
C) Various Loaded Carries = 40# Sb x 26 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
5 Easy 5 Good
Right elbow really bothering me, R shoulder is decent. I think I need to take some time off of hard rolling in BJJ…but I really don’t want to.

Last edited:
Have you tried any massaging like Rolf or armaid? It helped a lot when my elbows were getting beat up from gi.

Sun 01/08/22
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 24k = 10/1 each side
B) GSq + BC = 1/1 + 10/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P2W3D1 x 24k - 3,6,9; 186 alternating sides
B) Liz Crawl = 26 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
5 Easy 5 Good
Right elbow feeling decent, R shoulder is decent.
Liz Crawl forward easier than backwards; need to stick with forward mostly for a while, was getting carried away with backwards and sideways (different type of crawl) and it was just getting to be too much.

Have you tried any massaging like Rolf or armaid? It helped a lot when my elbows were getting beat up from gi.
I’ve done stuff like that for it with minimal success, problem is I can’t figure out what the issue is. I’ll get a coworker to look at it and see if we can come up with a diagnosis and treatment plan. Thanks, for the suggestion, though.

1/10/23
Warmup:
B) GSq + BC = 1/1 + 10/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P2W3D2 x 24k - 3,6; 180 alternating sides
B) Bear Crawl = 40# vest x 26 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Workout Rating = 4 Easy 5 Good
R elbow and shoulder okay during workout.
Calluses were bothering me for the past few days and was concerned they’d all rip when starting DLCOD; bought a pumice stone and used that on them. Feel much better, still need some work.

Sat night (after sunset) 1/14/23
Warmup:
B) GSq + BC = 1/1 + 10/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P2W3D3 x 24k - 3,6,9,12; 180 alternating sides
B) Various Hangs = 26 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Workout Rating = 5 Easy 5 Good
Disappointed I did not beat my previous Day 3 work out but I’m not gonna beat myself up over it.
Next block starts tomorrow. Not sure I will be able to do the sets of 9 and 12 for the double clean and jerk with double 32s, so I may need to tweak the plan. We’ll find out soon. I’m feeling optimistic about it, though.

Last edited:
Sun 1/15/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k = 2/1
B) GSq + BC x 32k = 1/1 + 2/1
Work Sets:
A) DLCOD 1.0 P2W1D1 x D32k - 3,6,9; 27
B) Liz Crawl = 32 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
Set of 9 felt like a max; hopefully Day 3 will be able to do the set(s) of 12. I did recover much faster than in Phase 1 but purposely took my time to give me and my hands a break from last week/last block
R shoulder and elbow didn’t bother me at all during the workout, a bit before during the day
All in all, very pleased about today

Mon 01/16/23
BJJ - Gi, 60 minutes

Notes:
Was only going to do technique (first 30 minutes of class) and skip rolling because need to stop flaring up my R elbow and shoulder with rolls…but I’m an immature child and couldn’t help myself. Tried to only do easy rolls…but I’m an immature child and even when doing easy rolls still go harder than I should.

Sun 1/15/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k = 2/1
B) GSq + BC x 32k = 1/1 + 2/1
Work Sets:
A) DLCOD 1.0 P2W1D2 x D32k - 3,6; 30
B) Bear Crawl = 40# vest x 32 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
R shoulder and elbow bothering me since yesterday‘s stupid decision to roll
Went for a set of 12 because I am impatient and wanted to see how it would go; hit 9 reps and felt like that was my max, and then needed to take a longer break than should have with today’s reps and negatively impacted today’s total volume. The last two days has been an exercise in impulsivity more than anything else. I am now back on track and plan to be an adult again.

Last edited:
@Geoff Neupert
Question about LCOD 1.0 P2:
I’m running the program as a doubles program with D32k. I picked that weight because based on the RM test it was an appropriate weight selection. Phase 1 went really well and was an excellent contrast/pairing between blocks of KSK 1.0 Phase 1 and Phase 2 with the single 24k. For KSK 1.0 Phase 2, I wasn’t entirely sure how the longer sets would go but they went really really well. I was hoping the same thing would happen for LCOD Phase 2 but it doesn’t seem like it will. I have now completed LCOD 1.0 Phase 2 Week 1’s Day 1 (3,6,9) and Day 2 (3,6). 9 reps, maybe 10 reps, feels like my max. I don’t think I’ll be able to get the set(s) of 12 on Day 3. I take generous rest as this is only Week 1 of the phase, and plan to take VERY generous rest between the set of 9 and my attempt for the set of 12 to make sure that there’s no residual fatigue preventing me from getting it.

In the event that I can’t hit 12 reps, what would your suggestion be for Phase 2? Initial thoughts are Day 1 and 2 are as prescribed and Day 3 ladders will be adjusted to 3,6,9,9, or 3,6,9,9+3. Your direction in this matter is greatly appreciated.

@Geoff Neupert
Question about LCOD 1.0 P2:
I’m running the program as a doubles program with D32k. I picked that weight because based on the RM test it was an appropriate weight selection. Phase 1 went really well and was an excellent contrast/pairing between blocks of KSK 1.0 Phase 1 and Phase 2 with the single 24k. For KSK 1.0 Phase 2, I wasn’t entirely sure how the longer sets would go but they went really really well. I was hoping the same thing would happen for LCOD Phase 2 but it doesn’t seem like it will. I have now completed LCOD 1.0 Phase 2 Week 1’s Day 1 (3,6,9) and Day 2 (3,6). 9 reps, maybe 10 reps, feels like my max. I don’t think I’ll be able to get the set(s) of 12 on Day 3. I take generous rest as this is only Week 1 of the phase, and plan to take VERY generous rest between the set of 9 and my attempt for the set of 12 to make sure that there’s no residual fatigue preventing me from getting it.

In the event that I can’t hit 12 reps, what would your suggestion be for Phase 2? Initial thoughts are Day 1 and 2 are as prescribed and Day 3 ladders will be adjusted to 3,6,9,9, or 3,6,9,9+3. Your direction in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Great questions, @Sam Goldner.

To clarify: Did you run LCOD 1.0, Phase 1?

If not, that was a mistake. I'd go back and start over with Phase 1.

If so, trust the process, and use countdown reps for that set of 12 - 12,11,10,9,... to make it psychologically easier. And remember, you only have to get ONE set on this day, first time through.

Honestly, I wouldn't even plan for failure, because sometimes if you give the subconscious that option, it will sabotage you and take it.

Is this helpful?

To clarify: Did you run LCOD 1.0, Phase 1?
Yes, with D32k. It went swimmingly.
If so, trust the process, and use countdown reps for that set of 12 - 12,11,10,9,... to make it psychologically easier. And remember, you only have to get ONE set on this day, first time through.
Countdown reps are a good suggestion, as is making the goal just to get the ONE set so that I have no choice but to make it because it’s my only shot.
Honestly, I wouldn't even plan for failure, because sometimes if you give the subconscious that option, it will sabotage you and take it.
Understood.
Is this helpful?
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom