all posts post new thread

SG Training Log

Wed 01/18/22
Static Stretching routine and some walking

Notes:
Adjusted my walking goal from 7kish down to about 6k; that seems more realistic with not a lot of extra time but still an increase in my activity level so making progress. Use the iPhone fitness app which measures based on calories so goal is at least 200 calories of steps, comes out to around 6k.

Last edited:
Sun 1/15/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k = 2/1
B) GSq + BC x 32k = 1/1 + 2/1
Work Sets:
A) DLCOD 1.0 P2W1D3 x D32k - 3,6,9,12; 30
B) Various Hangs = 32 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
3 Easy 5 Good
Wasn’t able to get the set of 12; ended up doing 8+4 for the top rung

@Geoff Neupert
Tried the countdown and still couldn’t do it; maybe I didn’t rest enough but I waited almost 6 minutes when I felt totally ready, but I maxed out at 8 on that set, put the bells down for probably about 30 seconds, then did 4 more. Those last 12 were an RPE of 10 for me; to be honest, even the set of 6 and 9 were really hard, harder than other days, too. How should I modify this phase for the remaining two weeks of this block?

@Sam Goldner,

Apparently I didn't read your response closely enough and missed the part about you alternating KSK with LCOD in a block format. I thought you did Phase 1 of LCOD immediately before Phase 2.

The double C+J (DC+J) is way more demanding systemically than the single KB Snatch - at least for you. And I think this is what you just discovered. And that's perfectly OK. It's all part of the training process.

So, if you want to run blocks, from now on, alternate between DC+P (maybe DC+PP) and SN, if you can tolerate it, but not DC+J and SN.

In the meantime, if you want to re-run LCOD, then start with Phase 1, and then move into Phase 2, without using block training.

If not, I'd scrap Phase 2 because you just maxed with an RPE of 10 and it's time to dial it back.

Furthermore, it looks like you are doing a lot of "extras" with the programs, including variety days and BJJ. There's nothing inherently wrong with doing those things. You just have to realize that (a) that's not "the program," - it's "the program + your thing" (still NOT the program as written) and (b) you only have the ability to recover from so much. So those are factors at play here too.

Does this make sense and is it helpful?

The double C+J (DC+J) is way more demanding systemically than the single KB Snatch - at least for you. And I think this is what you just discovered. And that's perfectly OK. It's all part of the training process.
Not sure; I was underbelled for the snatch because I was coming out of the final stages of rehabbing a shoulder so I picked a snatch weight that I could do perfectly on my worst day. I might’ve bumped into this same issue with KSK also had I used the “more correct on paper” bell size. Either way, the final result is the same; I’m not adapting quickly enough with the DCJ to go from Phase 1 to Phase 2 whereas I am able to do that with the bell size I picked for KSK.
So, if you want to run blocks, from now on, alternate between DC+P (maybe DC+PP) and SN, if you can tolerate it, but not DC+J and SN.
Because the loading for DCP/DCPP would be lighter than DCJ, and therefore closer to SN, and therefore the carryover out of the KSK block into the following block should be better? Also, because they’re lighter, they’ll be less systematically demanding and therefore I should be able to adapt faster?
In the meantime, if you want to re-run LCOD, then start with Phase 1, and then move into Phase 2, without using block training.
Makes sense, but I’m more wedded to block training than the exact details of LCOD.
If not, I'd scrap Phase 2 because you just maxed with an RPE of 10 and it's time to dial it back.
See below for the plan regarding how to do that and still alternate KSK Sn with DCJ.
Furthermore, it looks like you are doing a lot of "extras" with the programs, including variety days and BJJ. There's nothing inherently wrong with doing those things. You just have to realize that (a) that's not "the program," - it's "the program + your thing" (still NOT the program as written) and (b) you only have the ability to recover from so much. So those are factors at play here too.
Yes, but…that’s what I like about autoregulation and your programming. On a day I feel great I can increase density, on a day I feel like garbage I can still work within the parameters and at least check the box on working out. I still don’t think I’d have been able to progress quickly enough had I not been doing those things (there’s no counterfactual so I can’t prove it), and I always try to pick workouts that support life instead of the other way around. In this case I just over-estimated my abilities, which, as you wrote, are effected by my non-program activities.
Does this make sense and is it helpful?
Yes and very much so.
I still want to stick with my alternating blocks of underbelled KSK 1.0 SN, and some program for DCJ; I enjoy it tremendously, it seems to be advancing my fitness goals, and it feels great. That means I need to pick something that‘s a gentler step up from Phase 1’s ladders. I enjoy ladders, so I want to pick a template that has ladders. I’m thinking I’ll use Plan Strong rep ranges for a 10RM: 3-6 reps. Keeping the general LCOD template/schedule, my ladders would work out to:

Day 1: 345 (12)
Day 2: 34 (7)
Day 3: 3456 (18)

Sticking with Plan Strong guidelines regarding Delta 20, each of those ladders are 20+% different from each other (I know that the total volume for the days may end up exactly the same or less than 20% different because of autoregulation, but the parameters are at least set up to be 20+% different theoretically). Also, these ladders are 20% higher than the corresponding days of the previous DCJ block:

Past Block: Current Block:
Light: 123 (6) Light: 34 (7)
Medium: 1234 (10) Medium: 345 (12)
Heavy: 12345 (15) Heavy: 3456 (18)

This looks like it hits the sweet spot of progressing, challenging, but also doable and repeatable.

That’s my plan for now. I‘ll see how it works out when it hits reality next week. If it seems fantastically stupid, feel free to let me know.

Thank you very much for your help with this.

Sat night (after sundown) 1/21/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k = 3/1
B) GSq + BC x 32k = 1/1 + 3/1
Work Sets:
A) Double Clean and Jerk Block 1.0 P2W2D1 x D32k - 3,4,5; 36
B) Liz Crawl = 32 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
5 Easy 5 Good
The DCJ sets all felt really good with this ladder
R shoulder/elbow feeling improved today, didn’t bother me during workout

Sun 1/22/23 and Mon 1/23/23
Went to Great Wolf Lodge (hotel/indoor water park) with family, lots of walking around/running around/stairs. Fantastic mini-vacation, everyone had a great time. Was planning to sneak in a workout or two but didn’t and am very happy to have had day or two off doing stuff like this instead.

Tues 1/24/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k = 3/1
Work Sets:
A) DCJ Block 1.0 P2W2D2 x D32k - 3,4; 42
B) Bear Crawl = 40# Vest x 32 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
4 Easy 5 Good
I’m starting to dislike crawling

Sat night (after sundown) 1/28/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k = 3/1
Work Sets:
A) DCJ Block 1.0 P2W2D3 x D32k - 3,4,5,6; 43
B) Various Hangs = 32 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
4 Easy 5 Good
Not enjoying hangs anymore, and crawls are starting to drag on me; need to come up with something else to do. Maybe various types of pullups one day, getups a different day, and carries another. Perhaps throw front squats into the mix as well.

Last edited:
Mon 1/30/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k = 4/1
B) GSq + BC x 32k = 1/1 + 4/1
Work Sets:
A) DCJ Block 1.0 P2W3D1 x D32k - 3,4,5; 43
B) Loaded Carries = 32 sec/EMOM x 10 min

Notes:
4 Easy 5 Good
R shoulder and elbow felt totally fine during workout, elbow still bothering me during the day
For loaded carries, did Liz Crawl on even rounds and alternated D32k Farmer’s Carry with Hangs for the odd rounds
Really happy with the whole workout, felt great.

Tues 1/31/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k = 4/1
Work Sets:
A) DCJ Block 1.0 P2W3D2 x D32k - 3,4; 49
B) Loaded Carries = 32 sec/EMOM x 10 min x 40# vest

Notes:
4 Easy 5 Good
R shoulder and elbow felt totally fine during workout, elbow still bothering me during the day
For loaded carries, did Bear Crawl on even rounds and alternated D32k Farmer’s Carry with Hangs for the odd rounds
Workout again felt excellent. Looking forward to the last workout and then back to a Snatch Block. Planning to try KSK 1.0 P1 with the 32k; if it feels weird for my R shoulder then I’ll stick with P3 using the 24k.

Thurs 2/02/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x D32k = 4/1
Work Sets:
A) DCJ Block 1.0 P2W3D3 x D32k - 3,4,5,6; 48
B) Loaded Carries = 32 sec/EMOM x 10 min x 40# vest

Notes:
3 Easy 5 Good
For loaded carries, did Hangs on even rounds and alternated D32k Farmer’s Carry with TGU for the odd rounds
Totally wasn’t in the mood to workout, really wasn’t feeling it, told myself not to be a baby and get it done. Made the goal 54 DCJ, only got 48, missed the last set of 6. Started it and on the first rep felt my left pinky callus rip internally, took that as a sign to call it (only had a minute left or less at that point). Hands were sore before workout and that was part of why I wasn’t in the mood to workout (also haven’t slept well in several days). I probably should have listened to my inner voice; oh well, lesson learned.
If hand is feeling fine or I can figure out a setup that doesn’t bother it, planning to start KSK Sn on Sat night. May push off the start date as needed for healing.

Sat night (after sundown) 2/05/23
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 32k = 5/1
B) GSq + BC x 32k = 1/1 + 5/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P1W1D1 x 32k - 1,2,3,4,5; 50

Notes:
5 Easy 5 Good
Loaded carries alternated Uneven Farmer’s on odd rounds and Liz Crawl on even rounds
Took my sweet sweet time between sets to give myself a week to ease in. Wore tape hand protectors because of my torn callus; failed on the last set I did, ordered a commercial set and waiting for them to arrive. Plan to only use them as needed for tears/almost tears.
R Elbow and Shoulder felt great; very excited to be returning to snatching and that I can comfortably do it with the 32k now.

Mon 2/06/23
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 32k = 5/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P1W1D2 x 32k - 1,2,3; 60

Notes:
5 Easy 5 Good
Loaded carries alternated Uneven Farmer’s on odd rounds and Bear Crawl on even rounds, 40# weight vest for both
Bought cheap hand protectors; not madly in love with them but only plan to use them for a session or two every once in a while when my hands are torn/almost torn; they did the job.
R shoulder and elbow felt really good

Wed 2/08/23
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 32k = 5/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P1W1D3 x 32k - 1,2,3,4; 62

Notes:
5 Easy 5 Good
Loaded carries alternated Uneven Farmer’s on odd rounds and Hangs on even rounds
Everything felt great. Didn’t wear hand protectors today, hopefully won’t need to next workout either and then hands should be totally fine.
R elbow still bothering me, R shoulder seems resolved. R elbow not bothering me during workouts, though.

Wed 2/08/23
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 32k = 5/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P1W1D3 x 32k - 1,2,3,4; 62

Notes:
5 Easy 5 Good
Loaded carries alternated Uneven Farmer’s on odd rounds and Hangs on even rounds
Everything felt great. Didn’t wear hand protectors today, hopefully won’t need to next workout either and then hands should be totally fine.
R elbow still bothering me, R shoulder seems resolved. R elbow not bothering me during workouts, though.
I've noticed your go-to time duration is 32 seconds. Whether crawling, hanging, carrying, etc.
Is there a reason please @Sam Goldner ?

I've noticed your go-to time duration is 32 seconds. Whether crawling, hanging, carrying, etc.
Is there a reason please @Sam Goldner ?
I progressed to that over several weeks/blocks (from before using this log). It’s EMOM, and I arbitrarily decided I wanted to do 10 minutes total to keep my workouts at 30 minutes (20 minutes KSK/DCJ, 10 EMOM, about 3-5 minutes also with the warmup so really 33-35 minutes)
Started at 10sec W/50sec R (1:5), then made 20% increases (10 -> 12 -> 15 -> 18 -> 22 -> 27 -> 32) in work with matching rest decrease until roughly a 1 Work:1 Rest ratio.
I use that section of my workout as a way to get just a little bit extra work done in a way that won’t kill me, to fill the gaps a bit on cardio and other movements that aren’t being hit really hard in my primary programming goals. Adding that in has helped with my little injuries because it balances things out, and it accumulates a few extra calories burned over time which hopefully helps with my fat loss goal.

I progressed to that over several weeks/blocks (from before using this log). It’s EMOM, and I arbitrarily decided I wanted to do 10 minutes total to keep my workouts at 30 minutes (20 minutes KSK/DCJ, 10 EMOM, about 3-5 minutes also with the warmup so really 33-35 minutes)
Started at 10sec W/50sec R (1:5), then made 20% increases (10 -> 12 -> 15 -> 18 -> 22 -> 27 -> 32) in work with matching rest decrease until roughly a 1 Work:1 Rest ratio.
I use that section of my workout as a way to get just a little bit extra work done in a way that won’t kill me, to fill the gaps a bit on cardio and other movements that aren’t being hit really hard in my primary programming goals. Adding that in has helped with my little injuries because it balances things out, and it accumulates a few extra calories burned over time which hopefully helps with my fat loss goal.
Thanks

Fri 02/10/23
Variety Day
20 minute EMOM:
5x 12# Med ball slams
1x 40# Sandbag Getdown
Remainder of first 30s Shoulder Carry 40# Sb
30s rest

Then static stretching routine to finish

Notes:
5 Easy 5 Good
Whole thing felt great, HR around 155 which is about my MAF rate. Nifty that worked out; wasn’t basing anything on HR, just picked a pace over the first round or two that felt good (could have picked a different amount of rest in each round).
Picked slams to balance our snatches and shoulder getups/carries to give my hands and shoulders a break from overhead and holding things. The workout was a good active recovery day.

Sat night (after sundown) 2/11/23
Warmup:
A) Kb CP x 32k = 6/1
B) GSq + BC x 32k = 1/1 + 6/1
Work Sets:
A) KSK 1.0 P1W2D1 x 32k - 1,2,3,4,5; 62

Notes:
5 Easy 5 Good
Didn’t have time for the Loaded Carry portion of the workout, but the snatches felt great and went really well. I didn’t push it that much harder but still added a bunch more over what I did last week on Day 1.

Back
Top Bottom