A) DCJ 1.0 P3W2D2 x D32k - 4,5; 36
B) Loaded Carries = 18s/EMOM X 10 min
1) Odd = Farmer’s Carry 40+32k, Even = Bear Crawl; 56# WV
Notes:
4 Easy 5 Good
Everything felt good

Wed 03/08/23
Variety Day
Kickboxing class and Gi class. Was excellent; got tapped by a lower belt but it was a really good, slick submission and the entire roll was great.

Sat night (after sundown) 03/11/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x 32k = 2/2
B) GSq + BC x 32k = 1/1 + 4/1
Work Sets:
A) DCJ 1.0 P3W2D3 x D32k - 4,5,6; 39
1) Odd = Farmer’s Carry 40+32k, Even = Hangs; 56# WV
C) Static stretching routine
Notes:
4 Easy 5 Good
Everything felt good

Sun 03/12/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x 32k = 3,2
B) GSq + BC x 32k = 1/1 + 5/1
Work Sets:
A) DCJ 1.0 P3W3D1 x D32k - 4,5,6,7; 48
1) Odd = Farmer’s Carry 40+32k, Even = Liz Crawl; 56# WV

Notes:
4 Easy 5 Good
Everything felt good but…SUPER excited about getting into the last week of this program

Hey Sam,

Beauty log and terrific progress. Question: why did you opt for these rep/ladders? In the original LCOD, the phase 3 has reps of 9/12/15….

Interested, not critiquing!

Tues 03/14/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x 32k = 3,2
Work Sets:
A) DCJ 1.0 P3W3D2 x D32k - 4,5; 49
1) Odd = Farmer’s Carry 40+32k, Even = Bear Crawl; 56# WV

Notes:
4 Easy 5 Good

Thurs 03/16/23
Warmup:
A) Kb DCP x 32k = 3,2
Work Sets:
A) DCJ 1.0 P3W3D3 x D32k - 4,5,6,7; 54
1) Odd = Farmer’s Carry 40+32k, Even = Hangs; 56# WV

Notes:
3 Easy 5 Good
I’M DONE. IF YOU CAN’T TELL FROM THE CAPS LOCK, I AM VERY EXCITED. Program was great, but 24 weeks is still a very long time.
Last day best day for this block, planning to take a handful of days off and then retesting what I did 24 weeks ago. No idea what I will do after for my next program; very happy with not knowing right now, will make a plan when the hankering returns.

Hey Sam,

Beauty log and terrific progress. Question: why did you opt for these rep/ladders? In the original LCOD, the phase 3 has reps of 9/12/15….

Interested, not critiquing!
Thanks for your time reading this and for the compliment.

Started P2 which had a top rung of 12 and couldn’t get it. I wasn’t in the mood to repeat P1 so I used the Plan Strong rep ranges/RM to determine what my ladder spread would be. See Post #58 and the handful of ones that followed for the background and thought-process in more detail.

I’ll make a more detailed post here/the block training thread after my retest next week to review this long and exciting adventure.

Reactions: Bkb
Thanks for your time reading this and for the compliment.

Started P2 which had a top rung of 12 and couldn’t get it. I wasn’t in the mood to repeat P1 so I used the Plan Strong rep ranges/RM to determine what my ladder spread would be. See Post #58 and the handful of ones that followed for the background and thought-process in more detail.

I’ll make a more detailed post here/the block training thread after my retest next week to review this long and exciting adventure.
How do you feel? After an endeavour like this I’d imagine you feel either strong and conditioned or a bit like the Tin Man in need of a long nap. Lol. Or a mix of both…?

How do you feel? After an endeavour like this I’d imagine you feel either strong and conditioned or a bit like the Tin Man in need of a long nap. Lol. Or a mix of both…?
Mix, but there are other contributing factors, too.

Stay tuned for the big post post-posttest.

Last edited:
Fri 03/17/23
Variety Day
Static stretching routine; felt wonderful. Was going to go to the MMA gym and train but decided not to; right decision.
Gotta give myself a few really easy days to prep for testing next week.

Mon 03/20/23
Today was test day and boy was I nervous for the past few days. Not for the whole test, just for the AMRAP DCJ. I gave myself a lot of time for testing; did a set of snatches, took a chunk of time doing whatever then did the other side, took a longer chunk of time doing whatever then did DCJ, then took an even longer chunk of time and tested the rest of the lifts.

Quick version of my program (see the first post from this log if you want the longer version): alternated 3 week blocks of Kb Snatches or Kb Double Clean and Jerks. Also did various loaded carries at the end of each workout. Sometimes did other stuff on variety days. Whole program was about 25/26 weeks long from pretest to posttest (yes, that’s half a year). First Sn block was with a 24k, last Sn block was with a 32k; first DCJ block was with D24k, remaining DCJ blocks were with D32k.

Throughout this program I was also focusing on weight loss via paying more attention to what I ate (Precision Nutrition style) and maintaining a higher average step count each day than I used to (at least about 7k). There were also numerous life events that occurred that negatively impacted recovery (mostly good things but they effected my sleep quality/quantity).

Test Results Sun, 11/06/22
Kb Snatch = 32k x 8 but shoulder clunked more than I wanted, tested again at very end of session with 24k and will be using that even though I can get more than 8 reps with it because I want to make sure the shoulder is good even when fatigued
Kb DCJ = not tested because going in to KSK block; will test when going in to LCOD block [TESTED LATER DATE: D32k = 7RM]
ZS = 275# 1RM (too heavy for the double)
Pullup = 16# estimated 1RM (from 2RM)
OAP = 42k estimated 1RM (from 2RM)
DL = 385# estimated 1RM (from 2RM)
Test Results Mon 3/20/23
Kb Snatch = 32k x 20 each side; +12/+150%
Kb Double Clean & Jerk = D32k x 13; +6/+86%
Zercher Squat = 267.5# estimated 1RM (from 2RM); -7.5#/-2.7%, but because of bodyweight changes my relative strength actually increased from previous 1.3xBW to 1.37xBW
Pullup
= 40# estimated 1RM (from 2RM); +24#/+150%
OAP = 38k estimated 1RM (from 3RM); -4k/-9.5%, and because of bodyweight changes my relative strength decreased from previous 0.44xBW to 0.43xBW
DL = 362.25# estimated 1RM (from 2RM); -22.75#/-5.9%, but because of bodyweight changes my relative strength actually increased from previous 1.83xBW to 1.87xBW
Bodyweight
= lost about 15# from 210#ish to 195#ish

Notes on specific tests:
Kb Sn: Right shoulder had some clunking but nothing that was concerning and way better than used to be.
Kb DCJ: AMRAPing these is the absolute worst. I hate it with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. My RPE is through the roof, for the last few reps, all that exists is my heart jack-hammering away in my chest, a need for oxygen that breathing can’t satiate no matter how hard I failingly try to control my respirations, and tingling that goes down my arms into my fingertips from working so hard.
ZS: Barely did any squatting throughout this whole program except the warmup Goblet Squat + Bicep Curls, so to have this only decrease by a few pounds over half a year is fantastic. Also, after doing the math it turns out my relative strength increased slightly so the results were mixed.
Pullup: Barely did any pullups during this program; this improvement is super cool
OAP: Disappointed but again, didn’t really do much pressing except a few reps in the warmup. Felt like I lost the ability to handle heavy unilateral load compared to a couple years ago when I was very focused on chasing my OAP. Relative strength decreased slightly on this one, too.
DL: Disappointed but never touched weights even remotely close to this during the program so very happy that this is what I had after half a year away from the barbell. Also, after doing the math it turns out my relative strength increased slightly so the results were mixed.

General thoughts on/lessons learned from program
-Overall impression: this was a successful program and a very positive experience. The lifts I trained made significant progress, the lifts I didn’t either improved or at least didn’t fall off a cliff
-I subjectively felt good doing non-lifting activities like rolling and sparring.\
-I really like block training. Can’t say for sure it’s more or less effective than some other periodization scheme, but that’s irrelevant; I like it and it’s good enough to make progress. I enjoy having the luxury of not being a strength/power athlete where every ounce on the bar matters and there’s a perpetual fear that the biological clock is ticking so if you‘re gaining slower than you could’ve you’re losing. I enjoy training BJJ/KBox/MMA fighters and firefighters who also have that same luxury.
-Block training gives me an option for scratching the program-hopping itch. This helps me when I think about all the things I want to improve, and this will help my athletes who might not know a good program requires consistency and will get bored with the same exercises. There’re two types of program hoppers: 1) people who want to chase multiple rabbits, and 2) people who get bored with consistency and don’t know a program needs that to do more than just make you sweaty. I am #1; during a program I am very good about staying focused on the lifts and not changing up what I’m doing, but I have a lot of stuff I want to improve/maintain and worry whenever I’m making a program, “what about this thing and what about that thing?” #2 is a lot of my athletes who even though they are in physical jobs/hobbies, and even though they might have worked out for years, they don’t actually know what quality programming looks like so they get bored when they experience it. Block training takes care of both sources of program-hopping.

Next Steps
Take a bit of time off from lifting, maybe do a transition block with mobility/swings and various getups, and figure out what I want to focus on for the next program. I’ll probably use PlanStrong because I need to practice writing more of those programs and I want to test out my application of the system. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Wed 03/22/23
Kickboxing and BJJ
At some point this week I also did some static stretching but I don’t remember when.

Potential game plan for the next program (subject to change if my work schedule adjusts and I get consistent access to barbells)
I want to keep things similar but also want more focus on my press (because it declined) and my squat (because I like double kettlebell front squats). Snatching is getting nixed; I like it, but right now my hankering is more for double clean and jerk. I’ll be sticking with block training and alternating 3 week blocks of:

Block 1: One Arm Press, Double Clean and Front Squat
Block 2: Double Clean and Jerk

It’s Return Of The Kettlebell inspired but I will be using autoregulated blocks of time. For convenience, I also plan to use only my 32k kettlebells so I don’t need to drag more around with me.

OAP is about a 7RM with the 32k
DCFS is a 7RM with D32k
DCJ is a 13RM with the D32k

Block 1:
20 minute timer, OAP and DCFS; alternating sets of each
Light/Heavy/Medium schedule
Light Day = 2,3 Ladders; Heavy Day = 2,3,5 Ladders; Medium Day = 3,5 Ladders
Finish with 10 minutes of various loaded carries
Block 2:
20 minute timer, DCJ ladders
Light/Heavy/Medium schedule
Light Day = 4,6 Ladders; Heavy Day = 4,6,8 Ladders; Medium Day = 6,8 Ladders
Finish with 10 minutes of various loaded carries

Block 1 will probably be performed: Press Right, Press Left, Squat, rest, repeat, but we’ll see. I might snatch to overhead and then press from there just to get a bit of snatching in, but we’ll see. For the loaded carry portion of both blocks, I think I’ll make it less formal and eliminate the EMOM format. Again, like everything else, we’ll see.

If I end up getting convenient access to barbells, I will likely make major adjustments to the plan so I can olympic lift; I haven’t done them in a few years and I miss them. My numbers were embarrassing, but I enjoyed doing them a lot.

Last edited:
Sun 03/26/23 - Grind Block Phase 1 Week 1 Day 1
Warmup:
A1) Kb Snatch x 32k = 5/3
A2) GSq x 32k= 15sec/3
Work Sets:
A1) Kb One Arm Press x 32k = 2,3; 15
A2) Kb Double Front Squat = 2,3; 15
B) Loaded Carries = Various x 10min

Notes:
4 Easy 5 Good
That was surprisingly difficult but very good and enjoyable. If it stays this difficult, though, I may need to make adjustments. I’ll give it some time before tinkering with it, though
If I pay attention to form really closely I can keep my R shoulder from making any clunks during the presses; I hope to make that automatic as I continue
I liked the lack of structure for the Loaded Carry section
General feelings are positive and I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes.

ALSO, I plan to compete in a BJJ tournament on April 30th. IBJJF Chicago Open Nogi; purple belt, Heavy (202#), Masters 1. Depending on how my weight trends (I woke up this morning 194.8#) over the next couple weeks, I may drop down to Medium-Heavy (188.6#), and depending on who else registers and how the matches fall out I may switch to Adult. If any of y’all are gonna be there, let me know; it would be great to meet (and beat) you.

Mon 3/27/23
Variety Day
Kickboxing and BJJ classes

During BJJ, tried not to use the Gi for anything because I’ll be competing in Nogi, but it’s hard not to automatically grab it when it’s there. Weight was 195.8# this morning; if I continue trending downwards over the next few weeks I’ll switch to Medium-Heavy (188.6#).

Wed 3/29/23
Variety Day
Kickboxing and BJJ classes

Training sessions today were good but tough. My left ankle got bothered when a kick I threw was unexpectedly blocked, and then my right quad got kneed accidentally when I threw another kick later during sparring.
Weight was 195# this morning; hopefully this continues and I can drop down to Medium-Heavy.

Apparently I forgot to log about 2 weeks of workout sessions. I apologize profusely.

General update because I don’t want to take the time to figure out details and write them all out:
Everything is going well. My presses feel better, volume increasing in each session with RPE staying similar or decreasing.
R shoulder is bothering me a little but I think it’s from rolling, not pressing.
Modified warmup to a couple clean and thrusters with A bicep curl to exit; have been doing various getups for my loaded carries; will maybe switch to crawls for the ballistic block.
Weight is staying steady or decreasing so still not sure if I’ll be dropping a weight class for the April 30 Nogi Chicago Open.
Starting last week of first grind block today.
Despite Passover and being on vacation, I’ve been trying to be more conscious about my food choices, both what and how much I’m having. Seems to be going well based on my weight. This is one of the reasons I wanted to sign up for the tournament; it refocused me when I was starting to lose motivation and drive to pay attention to the details as much.

Back
Top Bottom