all posts post new thread

SG Training Log

Tues 5/2/23 - Right Kneesplosion Rehab: Day 2

A1) Kb Floor Press = 24k x (4,6,8)/2
A2) Pull-up = (1,2,3)/2
A3) Deadbug = (5,5,5)/2

Concentrated on quad activation during the deadbugs to make sure I don’t lose that
Will also be working on gait throughout the day, practicing walking with crutches and with/without knee immobilizer
Will add in more hips, work on L leg, and modify the other exercises I’m doing as I proceed. Just making sure not to do too much right out of the gate. Some pain in R knee but nothing unreasonable or really worse than just moving around.

s***, didn't mean it like that sorry. I meant sideways like it went awry, not making a joke about an injury.
Well, now I’m disappointed for 2 reasons:
1) because I thought it was funny
2) because you should have planted your feet and stood strong to defend yourself instead of folding over like a brittle twig

Wed 5/3/23 - Right Kneesplosion Rehab: Day 3

A1) Deadbug = 5/6
A2) Kb Floor Press = 24k x 8/6
A3) Pull-up = 3/6

Woke up and knee didn’t bother me at all; was not expecting that.
Practiced walking with crutches making gait look as normal as possible throughout the day

Last edited:
Thurs 5/4/23 - Right Kneesplosion Rehab: Day 4

A1) Pull-up = 1/6
A2) Deadbug = 5/6
A3) Kb Floor Press = 24k x 4/6

Gait practice throughout day: crutches 3-point step-through no brace; brace no crutches; independent

Woke up this morning with a lot of tension and soreness in my knee; disappointed because yesterday woke up feeling great, but probably walked around too much yesterday without crutches and brace. Last night before going to bed was also pretty rough, probably for the same reason. Slept well but not as much as I would have liked. I gotta remember this is only the 4th day after my knee decided to do it’s own thing; there will be ups and downs and I need to play this game smartly.

Last edited:
Fri 5/5/23 - Right Kneemageddon Rehab: Day 5

A1) Kb Floor Press = 24k x (6,8)/3
A2) Deadbug = 5/6
A3) Various Pull-ups = 2,3/3

Gait practice throughout day: crutches 3-point step-through no brace; brace no crutches; independent
Walked my daughter to preschool 6 blocks away, wore an ace wrap around my knee and used 1-2 crutches; not as bad as it could’ve been but also not as comfortable as I would have liked.

Notes:
My R knee was really sore today, woke up from good sleep and it felt terrible. Leg is swollen and bruising finally showed up on the medial side. Knee felt better during my workout, though, so that was nice.

Sun 5/7/23 - Right Kneemageddon Rehab: Day 7

A1) Kb Floor Press = 24k x (6,8)/3
A2) Hollow Body Double Arm + Leg Lifts = (6,8)/3
A3) Various Pull-ups = 2,3,4/2

B1) Prone Straight Leg Lifts = 10,7
B2) Sidelying Abductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10,7
B3) Sidelying Adductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10,7

Notes:
Today was miserable again, painful and sore. Exercises went well, though.

Mon 5/8/23 - Right Kneemageddon Rehab: Day 8

A1) Kb Floor Press = 24k x (8,10)/3
A2) Hollow Body Double Arm + Leg Lifts = (8,10)/3
A3) Various Pull-ups = 3,4/3

B1) Prone Straight Leg Lifts = 10/2
B2) Sidelying Abductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10/2
B3) Sidelying Adductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10/2

Notes:
Woke up feeling a lot better this morning. I think I need to spend more time in the immobilizer. Hopefully the rest of today feels this good and we continue from there.

Tues 5/9/23 - Right Kneemageddon Rehab: Day 9

A1) Kb Floor Press = 24k x 8/6
A2) Hollow Body Double Arm + Leg Lifts = 8/6
A3) Various Pull-ups = 3/6

B1) Prone Straight Leg Lifts = 10,10,5
B2) Sidelying Abductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10,10,5
B3) Sidelying Adductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10,10,5

Notes:
Saw some PT buddies of mine and was a dummy for them for a knee eval; knee hurt a lot last night after all the poking and prodding; totally ruined my sleep but glad I could be helpful.
Saw the Ortho today; will be doing PT for about a month and then will follow-up to discuss surgery options. Plan is to rehab the MCL so that the surgery will only be for the ACL; much cleaner than needing to surgically repair a whole bunch of things. Likely going to need surgery because this was a multi-ligament injury, but potential that if I miraculously respond to PT I may not need surgery.

Wed 5/10/23 - Right Kneemageddon Rehab: Day 10
PT session:
NMES quad sets, short arc quad, and long arc quad
UE Ergometer sprints 10s:10s for don‘t know how many rounds
Foam Roll Posterior knee/calf
Ice knee
I’m having a buddy do my PT so I don’t have to think about it; he’s also going to write a S&C program for me knowing my current limitations. This will be the first time I’ve ever had someone program for me; I’m excited. Throughout this rehab process, as much as possible, I plan to delegate this stuff to someone else and just enjoy the journey without needing to steer the ship.

Workout:
A1) Bench Press = 2,3,4x185#; 6,8,10x135#
A2) Hollow Body Double Arm + Leg Lifts = (6,8,10)/2
A3) Various Pull-ups = (2,3,4)/2

B1) Prone Straight Leg Lifts = 10/3
B2) Sidelying Abductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10/3
B3) Sidelying Adductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10/3

Gait practice throughout day: crutches 3-point/1 crutch 2-point step-through no brace; brace no crutches; independent

Notes:
Felt great during workout and during/after PT session. Rest of the day was pretty rough.
As directed by PT, tested Planks and Glute Bridges for comfort. Planks are fine if short duration, Glute Bridges are fine if I pick a comfortable knee flexion angle and do them slowly/gently.
Haven’t benched in ages, not my favorite exercise but I’m doing what I can.
Instructed by PT to continue with my current program and to rest leg in knee extension with heel propped so gravity pulls knee into more extension; can hang a grocery bag or add weight to proximal tibia if needed; generally do that on distal femur but due to the ACL injury it is better to put the weight on the proximal tibia at this time.

Thurs 5/11/23 - Right Kneemageddon Rehab: Day 11
PT stuff:
Foam Roll Posterior knee/calf
Ice knee
Quad sets, TKE
Gait practice throughout day: crutches 3-point/1 crutch 2-point step-through no brace

Workout:
A1) Bench Press = 3,4,3x185#; 4,3,4x135#
A2) Hollow Body Double Arm + Leg Lifts = (6,8)/3
A3) Various Pull-ups = (6,8)/3

B1) Prone Straight Leg Lifts = 10,15
B2) Sidelying Abductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10,15
B3) Sidelying Adductor Straight Leg Lifts = 10,15

Notes:
Today feels better than yesterday but still very stiff and sore. Gastroc is really tender.
Still don’t like benching, we’ll see if that changes.

Fri 10/12/23-Sun 10/14/23
Did PT on Fri, tested out some new exercises to see what can be included in my program moving forward
Got my new and correct brace on Fri, did a lot of walking with it.

Rest of the day, and the weekend, was pretty sore, especially my gastroc. Did a lot of walking on Fri/Sat and that’s probably why, not the PT. Rested most of Sunday, just did some intense ROM/activation stuff a bit at night.

Mon 10/15/23 - PT S&C Phase 1 Week 1 Day 1
Warmup
Straight Leg Raise Ext/Add/Abduction + Hollow Body Double Arm + Leg Lifts = 20

Work Sets
A) Straddle Sit 1-Arm Overhead Press = 40# x 5/2
Pull-up = 15# x 3
B1) Bench Press = 155# x 6/2
B2) Chest Supported Row = D40# x 8/2
Pull-up = 15# x 3
C1) Feet Elevated Hip Bridge = 10/2
C2) Mini-Squat + Terminal Knee Extension = Red band x 20/2
C3) Double Leg Calf Raise = 5sec Negative x 15/2
Pull-up = 15# x 3

Cool Down
A1) Wall Heel Slide Knee Flexion = 30sec/3
A2) Wall Knee Extension = 10/3
B) Foam Roll Gastroc/Posterior knee

Notes:
Excited to be starting this program
Cool down knee flexion was tough, painful posterolateral knee; not worried about it, just annoying.

Last edited:
Wed 10/17/23 - PT S&C P1W1D2
AMRAP pullups = 8
Put on BFR cuffs both arms and only L leg
A) Dumbbell Single Arm Incline Press = 40#x10/2
Pullups = 6
B1) Landmine Press = 35#x10/2
B2) Stabilized Cable Row = 50#x10/2
Pullups = 6
C1) RDL + Row = D20#x10/2
C2) Double Leg Calf Raise = 5secNeg x 15/2
Pullups = 6
D1) Plank = 60s
D2) Straight Leg Raise Abd/Add/Extension = 30
D3) Physioball Decline Plank = 35s
Removed BFR cuffs
E1) Wall Heel Slide Knee Flexion = 45sec/3
E2) Wall Knee Extension = 15/3
F) Foam Roll Gastroc/Posterior knee

Notes:
Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) is definitely different. I didn’t follow any of the specific protocols; I was obsessing about details and delayed trying the cuffs for a handful of days, then decoded to break out of analysis-paralysis and just play around with them. Glad I did, this workout was lighter anyways so throwing them on and maybe needing to go even a tad more lighter was fine; pretty sure I used the cuffs correctly but will play around with them some more to make sure, then down the line I can start utilizing the actual protocols if I feel like I need to. Didn’t put a cuff on my right leg (injured limb); waiting for PT to tell me it’s fine to do so, think we’re going to do that in the session tomorrow together. Felt more systemic fatigue than I generally do, thinking it’s from the cuffs.

Thurs 05/18/23
PT session today, got absolutely smoked. Did BFR with a fancy-pants expensive cuff. It was just on my R leg (the injured one) and we followed one of the protocols for reps/work:rest/tempo and did mini-squats from the mat table, RDLs with 65#, and sidelying straight leg hip abduction. It destroyed me and I loved it. It makes me even more excited about having my own set of cuffs for both arms and legs, and gives me a reference for how tight mine should feel. I’m still going to play around with them and not necessarily follow the protocols like we did in the session, but the reference for how tight they should feel will be helpful.

PT session today, got absolutely smoked. Did BFR

When I took my CE course on BFR, the mini protocol we trialed on one leg was 3x30 SLR and 3 x 30 full range squats. Afterwards, while I was walking to fetch water, it felt like that leg was going to give out.

A few of the PTs where I work in Lake Geneva have me using BFR for some of the higher functioning patients recovering from an ACL reconstruction. Good luck on your journey!

Fri 5/19/23 - PT S&C P1W1D3
-All 4 BFR Cuffs on and very snug

A1) Plank Leg Lifts
A2) Left Sidelying Hip Abd/Add
A3) Plank Shoulder Taps
A4) Right Sidelying Hip Abd/Add
AMRAP pullups = 6
B) BU Press with Band-Resisted ER = 15#x10/2
AMRAP pullups = 6

-Loosen cuffs for break, retighten at beginning of next superset

C1) Pushups with Iso Hip Extension = 10/2 each leg
C2) Inverted Row with Iso Hip Flexion = 10/2 each leg
AMRAP pullups = 2

-Loosen cuffs for break, retighten at beginning of next superset

D1) Prone Leg Curl = 15/2
D2) Leg Extension = 15/2
D3) Double Leg Calf Raise = 5sec Neg x 15/2
AMRAP pullups = 6

-Removed BFR cuffs

E1) Wall Heel Slide Knee Flexion = 45sec/3
E2) Wall Knee Extension = 15/3
F) Foam Roll Gastroc/Posterior knee

Notes:
Great workout today; definitely needed to go lighter (and did less reps on pullups) than could have due to BFR cuffs, wore them much tighter today than Wednesday. Needed to loosen them a few times during a superset to get my hands to stop tingling; not worried, will get better at feeling what the appropriate tension is as I use them more.
Didn’t get to bed as early as I wanted but slept well; in the morning I wanted to go back to sleep for a bit but I had that weird, post hard leg workout soreness/tingling/restlessness in my legs because of the phenomenal PT session I had yesterday. It was great to get that feeling even with my injury keeping me from lifting heavy.
Pleasantly surprised how swelling decreased since yesterday, still swollen compared to the left but I can notice more definition in my R quad now so it’s improving.

Last edited:
When I took my CE course on BFR, the mini protocol we trialed on one leg was 3x30 SLR and 3 x 30 full range squats. Afterwards, while I was walking to fetch water, it felt like that leg was going to give out.
Yeah, it’s a great feeling to be able to get during rehab when I can’t do hard lifting or my sports. Yesterday after the 3 exercises my PT asked how I was doing and I told him when I came in I was limping a lot because of patellar discomfort and whatever else (sometimes it’s hard to tell why it’s happening, it just does), but after the exercises that all felt great and now I’m just limping from fatigue.

What cuffs do you use?

The three protocols I’m aware of are 30-15-15-15 with 30 seconds rest between each set and a tempo of 2 up 2 down; 30-30-30 with same rest and tempo; 5 min on and 3 min off, generally used for steady state cardio. I’m excited to try the last one with walking or whatever; I’ve even seen research that it led to strength improvements (in addition to aerobic and anaerobic improvements) in elderly populations, which is really nifty).

A few of the PTs where I work in Lake Geneva have me using BFR for some of the higher functioning patients recovering from an ACL reconstruction. Good luck on your journey!
That’s phenomenal, and one of the classic populations BFR gets used on; as I play with them more, the possibilities of who and what to use them with are expanding in my mind. I’m very excited.

I didn’t know you were in Lake Geneva; there’s at least one other person on the forum that I know of who’s from your neck of the woods. I’m up in Milwaukee; let me know if you’re ever my way.

Thanks for the good luck; so far it’s going well. Some days are better than others and I can’t figure out why, but as a whole I think I’m improving.

What cuffs do you use?

We have a few sets of the B Strong cuffs. One set gets passed around between clinics because our clinic doesn't need 2 sets

as I play with them more, the possibilities of who and what to use them with are expanding in my mind. I’m very excited.

Absolutely! Initially, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of using BFR for proximal injuries like hip scopes and rotator cuff repairs, but it seems to be having a clinically positive outcome for just about anyone who gets the treatment.

I'll for sure have to let you know when I'm up in MKE. We're up there quite a bit for Brewers games but we make to occasional venture to the 3rd Ward.

Absolutely! Initially, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of using BFR for proximal injuries like hip scopes and rotator cuff repairs, but it seems to be having a clinically positive outcome for just about anyone who gets the treatment.
I definitely have trouble understanding how some of it works; for example, I get the muscle and tendon adaptations, but it boggles my mind that there are bone density improvements as well even though the bone isn’t being stressed more and I don’t see how occlusion changes that. But…don’t look a gift horse in the mouth or whatever other cliche; point is it works. I agree with you also that the proximal adaptations are surprising, but that one makes more sense to me than the bone: if distal flow is interrupted there will also be proximal disturbances that may cause various adaptations, and then also as the cuffs are released all the extra hormones and whatnot will spread proximally.

Back
Top Bottom