all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Shadowboxing & Pressing

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Toomuch4

Level 1 Valued Member
Been doing a really high frequency bench-press program, and I've also been shadowboxing as part of my kettle-bell conditioning circuit. I think that the shadowboxing may get in the way of my high frequency pressing. Maybe it tires out the shoulders. Any thoughts?

Also, any boxers or martial artists. I'm wondering if shadowboxing without being snappy may help. Kind of just footwork and doing the movements a bit more slow and focusing more on twisting the torso and the feet, while just extending the arms with no explosion. Do you think that's bad for boxing technique? My primary goal is weightlifting right now, but I enjoy martial arts and have a lot of interest in it.

Hello,

I've also been shadowboxing as part of my kettle-bell conditioning circuit. I think that the shadowboxing may get in the way of my high frequency pressing. Maybe it tires out the shoulders. Any thoughts?
Easy shadow boxing (no weight, no resistance band) done very smoothly can be excellent as a recovery between sets. For instance, a set of swings or snatches (for instance 15s) then very smooth shadow for 45s. So you are in a A+A training

Also, any boxers or martial artists. I'm wondering if shadowboxing without being snappy may help. Kind of just footwork and doing the movements a bit more slow and focusing more on twisting the torso and the feet, while just extending the arms with no explosion. Do you think that's bad for boxing technique?
This is what we often do for a few rounds at the end of our class. Our teacher (national level) uses very smooth shadow with focus on perfect tecnique. It pays off very well and very fast once you are in a fight.

Shadow boxing permits to create your own boxing style, trying techniques and notice if they sounds natural to you or not. You can create a state of "flow" doing it: coordination of the whole body, the mind (meaning the technique you want to do), the breathing (tense and loose), the timing (when to do what you want to do in function of the opponent), etc...

If you have proper technique (even if you perform slowly) under fatigue at the end of a class, then you got 80% of the job done. The other 20% (speed, power) will come naturally aftewards and progressively. Visualization is key to a good shadow.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have the same issue - I try to shadowbox when resting between sets but it tires me out and make me more breathless.

Thanks Pet', I'll try doing it less snappy, and more slowly and smooth.

Hello,

@Mo04
You are welcome.

Thanks Pet', I'll try doing it less snappy, and more slowly and smooth.
Snappy moves have their place. However, they really are specifics:
- They rely on technique first
- They require to be fresh to get the most out of them

Usually, when we do snap work, this is not even during an entire round. We perform 5-7 times, with max speed (with fast and loose a few seconds between each strikes). Then we rest (or do another kind of strike). Then we repeat the first strike and so on.

The idea is to perform the snap with 100% freshness

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom