Shakes, Smoothies and Snacks

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Ryan T, May 26, 2018.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T More than 500 posts

Coconut Water and Whey Shake:

16 oz coconut water (refrigerated is better)
    1.5 scoops of whey powder-I use Jay Robb Whey Protein Isolate, Unflavored. If you use flavored then the taste will probably be better.
    Optional: 1 tbsp Black Maca- I use Organic Black Maca Root Powder, Gelatinized from The Maca Team. Has a bit of a butterscotch flavor with a bit of grassy note at the end. Using flavored whey would help here as well.

Put it in a shaker bottle and shake it!

Macros (with Maca):
    Carbs 18 g
    Protein 40 g
    Fat 0 g
    ------------------
    kcal: 192

No fat, high protein and moderate carb. If you use unflavored whey, the taste gets a little getting use to. You can use this drink to quickly spike your insulin and shuttle the protein to your muscles without any potential for intramyocellular fat storage! Also a great source of potassium. Of course you can adjust this to add more flavor, more calories, etc... but I would stay away from adding fat if using this after a training session.

2. Ryan T

Here is a recipe for a pre-training drink to stay in the fasted state if that's something you want to do. Note: Watch out for the Carnitine, some formulations have a caloric impact so make sure you pay attention to the label. There is a tingling sensation you get when supplementing with some of this stuff.

Ingredients:
    Black Coffee
    Carnitine
    Beta Alanine
    Citrulline Malate
    Pink Sea Salt

Here's the video:

3. Ryan T

Here's a recipe that I love! Great for a snack on the go. I've even had them as a part of breakfast before!

Almond butter energy balls. Here's the like to a recipe Almond Butter Energy Bites Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

INGREDIENTS:
    • 1 cup almond butter
    • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
    • 1 cup old-fashioned oats (can use gluten-free oats)
    • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
    • 2 teaspoons honey
    • 3 tablespoons chocolate chips, if desired
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Melt almond butter and coconut oil in the microwave to soften, about 20 seconds.
    2. Mix in oats, coconut, honey, and chocolate chips, if using.
    3. Shape into 1-inch balls and refrigerate.
    I lot of times we may sub in molasses for the honey and will omit the shredded coconut. These things are dense, physically and calorically. The chocolate chips are usually dark chocolate so gives you a little better nutrition profile. Due to the high fat content, I wouldn't eat them as a post training snack though.

4. Ryan T

Here's an AM shake that is super tasty and good for 3 people Well, 2 kids and me, but if you're a bigger person and are training really hard you could probably get away with drinking the whole thing. Use a high powered blender like a Vitamix. Not for the carb or dairy phobic.

3 frozen bananas
    2 servings of whey or other protein powder (54 grams for the brand I use).
    1/2 cup Greek yogurt
    1.5 cups 2% milk
    1 tsp honey
    1/4 cup peanut or almond butter.
    2 handfuls of ice cubes

I'd say it would make a good post workout shake, but the fat from the nut butter and fructose content may not be the best combo for that. Enjoy.