all posts post new thread

Barbell Sharing my Reload spreadsheet and a few questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bcfields

First Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum so I hope this post doesn't break any rules.

Here are my current stats after lifting since August 2018. I started with the bar for everything so I could try to develop the best form possible.
M/35/5'9"/157lbs
Bench: 180 1RM
Squat: 265 1RM
DL: 300 1RM
OHP: 110 1RM

I've done different programs in the past (PPL, and 531), but I recently got the Reload ebook and have read through it a few times. I decided to create a Google sheet and share it with everyone. Please let me know how you like it and if you have any feedback or improvement ideas.

A quick walk through of the spreadsheet:
Currently the sheet is only setup for pounds. If there's enough interest, I could create one for kg. Only input data in cells highlighted gray. On the instructions sheet, you can change or add to any of the specialized variety/Ab movements. You also need to input your 10RM (per the ebook) weight in the corresponding column as this will carry over to the program sheet.

On the cycle tab, enter the amount you want to round to and the % used for the light day. Then you would enter your 1RM, 5x5 Top Set weight, AMRAP @80% 1RM reps, and your weekly jump % based on your testing. Based on the ebook, I provided a 5x5 top set table and a 1RM testing table to help with finding these. I also provided a % 1RM table just for reference. There's a row for each lift to track the date you worked out. There's a drop down list that reads from the instructions tab to select your SV and Ab movements. Once selected and the weight is entered in the instructions tab, the weight will carry over. Since I'm lazy and don't feel like doing the math when lifting, I also have a calculator that tells you how much to load the bar on each side (or one side if using a landmine). I just labeled this bar loading in the sheet.

Questions/Discussion:
After reading the ebook a few times, I'm not sure how to move on after doing an 8 week cycle. Do I deload for a week after testing my new 1RM? When do I test the 5x5 top set if I wanted to start a new cycle?

Would it be ok to take one of the 5x5 sets to AMRAP each week (or a few of the weeks)? I was thinking I could use this to estimate my 1RM instead of testing it every 8 weeks as I'm not really comfortable direct testing my 1RM.

I was thinking of using a set on whatever week that ends up being my 80% of 1RM (it will highlight orange in the % of 1RM table) as the testing for the AMRAP @80% 1RM. Would this be ok? So if week 3 weight was 80% of my 1RM for that lift, I would take one of the 5x5 sets to AMRAP.

These are just some thoughts, but I'll probably follow the program as is for the first cycle and go from there based on feedback. Just unsure how to start a new cycle.

Link to spreadsheet below. You need to make a copy of it to edit it yourself.
Reload blank

Thanks for reading and any feedback.

I wouldn't do a deload week because the first week of a new cycle will be a deload. Reload doesn't have enough consecutive weeks of high enough intensity or volume load to require a deload. The magic is in the volume of moderate intensity.

You don't need to find a new 5x5, just use the one you got in week 5. The max 5x5 doesn't need to be current the most you could do today, just the most you've ever got.

You could either use the same jump from the previous cycle or test the 80% reps after the max like a back off set or on a second day of the week during the max week.

You could do a max rep set on the last set but I would only worry about that if you weren't doing the special variety work.

For reload, I would actually find your 1RM. Calculating the max based on reps is ok but if you're more on the endurance side you'll get the wrong max and the jump and start percentages won't be correct for you, which is the whole concept behind the program. Regardless, finding max reps or max single should have the same level of struggle in the last rep and some form of safety spot.

Great spreadsheet!

You don't need to find a new 5x5, just use the one you got in week 5. The max 5x5 doesn't need to be current the most you could do today, just the most you've ever got.

Thanks for the input. If I don't test a new 5x5 max set, won't I just be lifting the same weights again as I did the first 8 weeks?

Thanks for the input. If I don't test a new 5x5 max set, won't I just be lifting the same weights again as I did the first 8 weeks?
Cycle 1:
Test 1RM = 100#
Test 80# Reps = 6
5/5 PR = none

Start: 65#
Week 2: 69#
Week 3: 73#
Week 4: 77#
Week 5: 81# (New 5/5 PR)
Week 6: 85#
Week 7: 89#
Test: 105# (New 1RM)​

Cycle 2
1RM = 105# (from week 8 of cycle 1)
84# Reps = 4 (new test after 1RM in week 8 of cycle 1)
5/5 PR = 81# (from cycle 1)

Start: 63#
Week 2: 68#
Week 3: 73#
Week 4: 78#
Week 5: 83# (New 5/5 PR)
Week 6: 88#
Week 7: 93 #
Test: 108# (New 1RM)​

Repeat

I see. Just increase the new cycle 5/5 PR based on the % weekly change from the program after testing AMRAP at 80% of 1RM.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom