all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Sharp left glute pain after lifting sandbag

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DinoTheMicke

First Post
Hey!

I did Sandbag Cleans for many repetitions, the bag was not very heavy for me (70kg). When I got in on the 25th rep or so I felt a cut in my gluteus / pelvis. It became a burning sensation and hurt, however, I could continue to lift and walk but with pain. The pain became worse after 3 minutes and I could not tilt my pelvis backwards without a sharp pain.

After about 30 minutes on a massage ball and stretch, the pain released by about 50% and I could bend forward to put on myself a pair of socks.

The next day it was better, tried light deadlifting on 40kg, which felt like featherweight. Felt absolutely nothing the first 10 reps, then the cut feeling came from nowhere and could barely get up from the floor, which kinda hurt the entire day.

The pain is in the left glute about 1-2cm next to the tailbone, in the gluteus maximus. It is triggered enormously if I kick backwards or lean backwards. (No pain at all in the back itself)

I've never had an issue doing the quad stretch where you lay on your back with your feet on ur glute. If I do that now, my left glute says no in pain.

I can do jumping exercises, such as box jumping, heavy military presses, running, cardio and without any pain at all.

I've had this exact pain before, left glute. So this is something that has occured before.

What could this be?

Thanks!!

I've had this exact pain before, left glute. So this is something that has occured before.

What could this be?
This could be a very good reason to see a health care professional.

When I got in on the 25th rep or so I felt a cut in my gluteus / pelvis.
This could be a very good reason to learn about how we program at StrongFirst.

The next day it was better, tried light deadlifting on 40kg, which felt like featherweight. Felt absolutely nothing the first 10 reps, then the cut feeling came from nowhere and could barely get up from the floor, which kinda hurt the entire day.
This could be a very good reason to do both of the above, and let's add for you to work with a coach/trainer.

What is your exercise background, what is your previous injury history besides having sharp pain in your glute, and what are you trying to accomplish in your strength and conditioning training?

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-

It is suggested you get a medical diagnosis for the problem to exclude anything serious. Then, with that you can decide what to do from there. For example, if you know is a soft tissue sprain or strain (with no nerve compression or any thing else) then you can rest it for 24-48 hours and then cautiously begin to do some gentle mobility work staying away from pain. Then slowly, and avoiding pain, you being to do really easy strength work - always avoiding pain.

An injury on one side may mean you have some assymetry in the hips\spine\shoulders and you may need to work on that. But, first things first, all of these things come after you have that medical diagnosis.

Hey!

I did Sandbag Cleans for many repetitions, the bag was not very heavy for me (70kg). When I got in on the 25th rep or so I felt a cut in my gluteus / pelvis. It became a burning sensation and hurt, however, I could continue to lift and walk but with pain. The pain became worse after 3 minutes and I could not tilt my pelvis backwards without a sharp pain.

After about 30 minutes on a massage ball and stretch, the pain released by about 50% and I could bend forward to put on myself a pair of socks.

The pain is in the left glute about 1-2cm next to the tailbone, in the gluteus maximus. It is triggered enormously if I kick backwards or lean backwards. (No pain at all in the back itself)

I've never had an issue doing the quad stretch where you lay on your back with your feet on ur glute. If I do that now, my left glute says no in pain.

I can do jumping exercises, such as box jumping, heavy military presses, running, cardio and without any pain at all.

What could this be?

Thanks!!
I had a cantankerous left butt cheek for years and years and years. I’m not a doctor and I recommend you see one. As for me I sorted my anterior pelvic tilt and it’s never been an issue since. Like you it was always there, I once collapsed deadlifting and it would travel into my left hip, my lower back and sometimes it was all the way down my leg but as I’ve said. I started doing exercises and stretches for anterior pelvic tilt (after 2 separate bouts of visits to physiotherapist over several years) and it’s never bothered me since. I could get away with a lot even with it always being there but for a long time it really limited the duration of how long I could swing or snatch. I wish you speedy recovery and hope it goes completely. See a doc to rule out anything serious of course.

Glute/hip issues are no joke. Could be just some pain from over-exertion but it could also be something much worse. Damage to the hip can be really rough. Don't play around with this.

The main question is is it in the glute itself or the border where the hammy dives under the glute? One easy to correct the other will take time

My experience with glute pain is that it can actually be a lagging indicator of a dysfunction happening in the leg. Apparently everything from the feet to the lower back are dependent on each other to function well together otherwise a tightness or imbalance in one area can be the source of pain up the chain as the different muscles try to compensate.

May not have anything to do with your situation but definite +1 on seeking advice of trained medical professional preferably that knows weight training. My last ortho for a similar symptom did cross fit and really helped me.

Definitely get it checked out. I've been out for a while.. had severe left glute pain that eventually travelled to my hamstring where I couldn't even stand or sit. Zero back pain, but turns out a severe herniated disc causing sciatica.. moral of the story, the cause of pain may not be where you are feeling it.

Definitely get it checked out. I've been out for a while.. had severe left glute pain that eventually travelled to my hamstring where I couldn't even stand or sit. Zero back pain, but turns out a severe herniated disc causing sciatica.. moral of the story, the cause of pain may not be where you are feeling it.
I recently heard that. " The cause of the pain may not be where you are feeling it " .. I assume I need professional help in order to figure this one out.

This could be a very good reason to see a health care professional.

This could be a very good reason to learn about how we program at StrongFirst.

This could be a very good reason to do both of the above, and let's add for you to work with a coach/trainer.

What is your exercise background, what is your previous injury history besides having sharp pain in your glute, and what are you trying to accomplish in your strength and conditioning training?

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-
Well I do alot of weightlifting & crossfit.

In an attempt of a record I twisted my pelvis, I got it re-adjusted. Shortly after that, this glute pain appeared. I thought it was just due to the adjustment that I needed time to recover. But it came back now, 1 year later, like a gunshot. I do know I was fatigued after all these repetitions, so something could've easily happent. It was stupid, but we all make mistakes.

Now 2 days later I am feeling well actually, alittle "sore" as in, I can feel it in surten movements, but I can bend myself down without any pain, but not backwards.

I am trying to win competitions, that's my goal. Which requires alot of heavy training and a healthy functional body.
It is suggested you get a medical diagnosis for the problem to exclude anything serious. Then, with that you can decide what to do from there. For example, if you know is a soft tissue sprain or strain (with no nerve compression or any thing else) then you can rest it for 24-48 hours and then cautiously begin to do some gentle mobility work staying away from pain. Then slowly, and avoiding pain, you being to do really easy strength work - always avoiding pain.

An injury on one side may mean you have some assymetry in the hips\spine\shoulders and you may need to work on that. But, first things first, all of these things come after you have that medical diagnosis.
I am not from the US, may be different there, I am not sure where to go, as I am not use to medical stuff.

Do I go to a chiropractor, massage therapist or what would you recommend have me do?
I had a cantankerous left butt cheek for years and years and years. I’m not a doctor and I recommend you see one. As for me I sorted my anterior pelvic tilt and it’s never been an issue since. Like you it was always there, I once collapsed deadlifting and it would travel into my left hip, my lower back and sometimes it was all the way down my leg but as I’ve said. I started doing exercises and stretches for anterior pelvic tilt (after 2 separate bouts of visits to physiotherapist over several years) and it’s never bothered me since. I could get away with a lot even with it always being there but for a long time it really limited the duration of how long I could swing or snatch. I wish you speedy recovery and hope it goes completely. See a doc to rule out anything serious of course.

I am glad and inspired that you no longer have to feel pain, thats a goal of mine.

May I ask what kind of stretches and exercises you did?

The main question is is it in the glute itself or the border where the hammy dives under the glute? One easy to correct the other will take time

I'd say the pain feels in top glute, just under the lower back, middle top glute.

I am feeling alot better after 2 days not lifting anything from the floor and up or squatting.

I do feel the pain if I tilt backwards, but forward is fine for now.

I can do very heavy jerks ( shoulder to overhead ) without any pain at all. But picking heavy stuff up, is not something i've tried since.

When you guys mean medical, is that chiropractor. Or an actual doctor?

Thanks.

In an attempt of a record I twisted my pelvis, I got it re-adjusted. Shortly after that, this glute pain appeared. I thought it was just due to the adjustment that I needed time to recover. But it came back now, 1 year later, like a gunshot. I do know I was fatigued after all these repetitions, so something could've easily happent. It was stupid, but we all make mistakes.

Now 2 days later I am feeling well actually, alittle "sore" as in, I can feel it in surten movements, but I can bend myself down without any pain, but not backwards.

I am trying to win competitions, that's my goal. Which requires alot of heavy training and a healthy functional body.
Then get yourself a good coach to guide your training so that you don't get hurt. Health first, win competitions second. You could be well on your way to having a lifetime of lower back issues.

-S-

@DinoTheMicke see a physio or sports medicine doctor of some kind. You say you twisted your pelvis in the past. It sounds like you may be trying to lift through imbalances stemming from that. An in-person evaluation is what you need. That kind of stuff is pretty much impossible to “diagnose” online. Best of luck.

I recently heard that. " The cause of the pain may not be where you are feeling it " .. I assume I need professional help in order to figure this one out.

I am not from the US, may be different there, I am not sure where to go, as I am not use to medical stuff.

Do I go to a chiropractor, massage therapist or what would you recommend have me do?

I am glad and inspired that you no longer have to feel pain, thats a goal of mine.

I'd say the pain feels in top glute, just under the lower back, middle top glute.

I am feeling alot better after 2 days not lifting anything from the floor and up or squatting.

I can do very heavy jerks ( shoulder to overhead ) without any pain at all. But picking heavy stuff up, is not something i've tried since.

Thanks.
It was the hip stretch from Simple and Sinister. A weird crunch where all I did for 25 reps was flatten the gap between the small of my back and the floor when laying in a crunch position and the 3rd move was a plank with the legs open and I had to powerfully rotate my pelvis towards my sternum as I held the plank. Sorry for the terrible description but I’ve never ever been able to find the YouTube video I got these moves from. However I did these 3 moves with no real regularity or frequency and my pain went away after years of agony. Again though. I ain’t a doctor.

Thanks.
Medical diagnosis from a medical doctor. A GP (general practitioner) should be able to do that. A GP who is used to trreating athletes will be better. A Sports Physician (a GP who has had extra medical training in dealing with athletes) would be even better. A physiotherapist has had several years university training including with patients and can be helpful. Like GPs one who is used to working with athletes is better.

Then get yourself a good coach to guide your training so that you don't get hurt. Health first, win competitions second. You could be well on your way to having a lifetime of lower back issues.

-S-
With all respect, CrossFit leaves many people hurt. The concept of doing Olympic lifts for as many reps as possible in a certain amount of time is a recipe for disaster. I actually just spoke to a long time CrossFitter who finally admitted they should probably change their training habits a bit after witnessing someone fracture their spine at a “box”. Trust me, I’ve worked construction my whole life and have done some stuuuuupid things at work to prove my “manliness” and regret all of them. Hurting your back is no fun, please be smart. I wish I took my body more serious at 25 than I did.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom