all posts post new thread

Shawn's Training Log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ShawnyUT

Level 7 Valued Member
Greetings.

My name is Shawn. I'm 41 years old and live in Las Vegas.

I purchased my first Kettlebells and a copy of Simple and Sinister in April 2017.

I served on active duty in the US Army from 2004-2016 and now am in the Reserve. During my Army career I was always a little too overweight, and under conditioned. I was able to meet the standards easily enough, but it should have been easier. I put a lot of stress on my body and suffered a back injury. My injury left me unable to train for nearly a year; even walking was painful. But my body eventually healed. I still have 3 herniated disks, one fractured but am pain free without surgery.

I found Simple and Sinister while looking for alternatives to gym training. Goals were to injury proof myself, strengthen my spine, and be able to train at home. I was never properly trained in weightlifting, and I think my messing around in the gym over the years wasn't beneficial at all. When I began S&S I was certainly weak.

I’ve trained S&S since April 2017. Took some time off due to minor injuries and just life getting in the way, but I have seen real progress. When I first purchased my set of Kettlebells, get-ups with the 16kg were quite challenging, but I was able to develop my swing pretty quickly and was swinging the 24kg in no time. The 32kg just sat in the corner, seemingly impossibly heavy. Now the 32 kg is my constant companion and a 40kg stares longingly at me from the corner.

I have a demanding job and demanding children, so I limit my training to 30 min a day on weekdays. Not ideal, but I've been able to be very consistent. On the weekends I stay active with my family. Just purchased everyone their own medicine ball for fun stuff.

I feel like it is time to change up my training, so two weeks ago I started experimenting with the snatch. Although my hands have suffered, I find KB snatching to be great fun. After 18 months of S&S, I feel like I'm ready to try heavy snatches.

Completing a snatch practice session makes me feel great, powerful. When I was done, I felt like I could run through a brick wall. And, I have felt the need to start this training log to keep me accountable.

6 DEC 2018:

Warm Up 3 repeats:
Goblet Squat 5x32 kg
Hip Bridge x 5

Snatch: Every Minute on the Minute, left hand first then right
10 Repeats: 5 x 24kg
4 Repeats: 3 x 32 kg
2 Repeats: 5 x 24 kg

Total:
28 Repeats
80 snatches @ 24 kg
36 snatches @ 32 kg

Time: 35 minutes
Average HR: 124 bpm
Peak HR: 157 bpm

Evaluation: 24kg snatches are beginning to feel easy. Technique is improving. 32kg snatch feels...challenging but not dangerous . First 10 repeats at 24 kg were to hone technique and prep for the 32. I inserted the 24 kg snatches during the repeats to give my hands a break. On the repeats with the 32, I start with a one hand swing and then execute 3 snatches. This allows me to get a deeper hinge, load the spring, and go into an explosive snatch. For me, the snatch really demands a more explosive hip snap/thrust than I was doing in the swing. Failure to execute an explosive snap while snatching is certain death.

Last edited:
Thanks @Phil12. Happy to be a member of this fantastic community.

7 DEC 2018

Goal: Active Recovery

-Ruck march 18 kg in backpack (40 lb bag of water softener salt, cost $7).
- Time: 31 min, 1.96 miles
-Average HR: 116 bpm
-Peak HR: 128

Evaluation: Needed a nice, easy stroll in the park to recover from yesterday's snatch session. I'm too fat. So, I've been taking in less calories and cut out processed foods. I've also been experimenting with intermittent fasting. I train during my lunch break, and all of my training is in a fasted state. Although I feel great, I have found that I really need to prioritize recovery. Strength training 5 days in a row is out. Priority for the next two days is to take care of my hands so I'm ready for a powerful snatch session on Monday.

Last edited:
10 DEC 2018

Warm Up:
4 x Goblet Squat 5@32 kg
3 x Hip Bridge x 5

Snatch: Every Minute on the Minute (alternate Left and Right)
10 Repeats: 5 @ 24kg
2 x 3 @ 32 kg
2 x 5 @ 24 kg
2 x 3 @ 32 kg
2 x 5 @ 24 kg
2 x 3 @ 32 kg
2 x 5 @ 24 kg
2 x 3 @ 32 kg
2 x 5 @ 24 kg
2 x 3 @ 32 kg
2 x 5 @ 24 kg

Total:
30 Repeats
100 snatches @ 24 kg
30 snatches @ 32 kg

Time: 34 minutes
Average HR: 133 bpm
Peak HR: 160 bpm

Evaluation: Was excited to get to my training. Weekend was two full days of active recovery, mostly walking. Shoulders were tired all weekend. Couldn't do too many pushups without feeling it. So, I simply didn't do pushups. Today I did not do as many snatches with the 32 as last Friday, but I felt better during my training. I felt very fresh after each repeat and was ready to snatch explosively. The 24 kg snatch, are so much easier than the 32 kg. With the 32 kg, I must really concentrate on an explosive hip snap, otherwise my technique degrades. Hands are still suffering. As I was carrying my 32 back inside to my office, I was struck by just how heavy the thing is, and I am amazed that I'm able to snatch it overhead.

=========================================================================================================

11 DEC 2018:

Ruck march, 40 lb pack.
Distance: 2 Miles
Time: 31:26
Average HR: 124 bpm
Peak HR: 141

Evaluation: Easy Peasy.

Last edited:
12 DEC 2018

Warm Up:
3 x Goblet Squat 5@32 kg
3 x Hip Bridge x 5

Snatch: Every Minute on the Minute (alternate Left and Right)
10 Repeats: 5 @ 24kg
2 x 3 @ 32 kg
2 x 5 @ 24 kg
4 x 3 @ 32 kg
2 x 5 @ 24 kg
2 x 3 @ 32 kg
2 x 5 @ 24 kg

Total:
24 Repeats
80 snatches @ 24 kg
24 snatches @ 32 kg

Finished the session with some farmer's walks. Really felt it in the traps.

Snatch Time: 24 minutes
Average HR: 125 bpm
Peak HR: 152 bpm

Evaluation: Wanted to snatch more, but tore up my left hand again. Right hand is good to go. I think I'm done with snatches for the week. Don't think my hand will heal up by Friday. Didn't feel good today, didn't sleep well. 24 kg snatches felt easy today though. I feel like my technique is coming together. I usually wear soft sweat bands on my wrists. I forgot them at home today, but it wasn't an issue; no wrist banging. Surprisingly, snatches are easier on my forearms than the TGU.

Losing weight is a long slog. I'm doing Keto+IF and have had some success, but it does feel slow. I lost 7 lbs this month (40 lbs overall) and have another 50 or so to go.
=========================================================================================================

13 DEC 2018:

Ruck march, 40 lb pack.
Time: 32:55

Evaluation: Hard to keep pace above 15/mile today. Legs felt good, just not a lot of drive available. Need more sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCM
Welcome @ShawnyUT! That is some strong work you are putting in there! For your hands, you might want to look into Cornhusker Lotion. It is sold at Walmart, and is a real good moisturizing lotion that doesn't leave your hands greasy, oily, or slick.

Thanks @Michael Scott it will look into it. While doing S&S I never had to put much into my hand care. Yes, I built up some callous but nothing major. Since I started snatching a few weeks ago, hand care has become vital. I have been using O'Keefe's Working Hands lotion, and it is a good product, but maybe the Cornhusker is superior. I also bought some "Mr. Pumice" bars from Amazon.com that I have been very happy with. My problems are all with my left hand. As I get stronger and improve my on/off grip technique I think the real problems will subside.

Took some time off for the Holidays. Traveled to see my family and didn't too much training. The time off helped me recover from a cold, and allowed my hands to heal. Returned last week and knocked out two snatch sessions. Spent the weekend walking.

7 JAN 2019:

Warm Up 3 repeats:
Goblet Squat 5x32 kg
Hip Bridge x 5

2 Repeats: 3 x 32 kg

Total:
30 Repeats
100 snatches @ 24 kg
30 snatches @ 32 kg

Time: 30 minutes
Average HR: 128 bpm
Peak HR: 149 bpm

Evaluation: Easy workout. Hands are good. I think this due to combination of callous care and snatch grip technique improvements. I have figured out how to relax the grip at the right times to lower friction. The 24kg felt different: as the bell past my stomach, it had a near weightless quality and required very little pull effort to get it over head. I feel like I'm really getting the technique down for the 24kg. Looking forward to transitioning to the 32kg as my primary training bell. In the evening I attempted some pushups, but my shoulders said no thanks.
===================================================================================================================================================================================================

8 JAN 2019:
Ruck march, 40 lb pack.
Time: 31:32
Average HR: 118 bpm
Peak HR: 131

Evaluation: 2nd mile was easier than the first. Have also been able to knock out some pushups today, G-T-G style.

===================================================================================================================================================================================================

9 JAN 2019:

Warm Up 3 repeats:
Goblet Squat 5x32 kg
Hip Bridge x 5

4 Repeats: 5 x 24 kg

Total:
30 Repeats
90 snatches @ 24 kg
36 snatches @ 32 kg

Average HR: 135 bpm
Peak HR: 151 bpm

Evaluation: Solid session. Hands are good. My technique felt a little sloppy today; inconsistent hip drive, likely due to inadequate recovery. Goal to knock out 40 more push ups before I leave the office.

11 JAN 2019:

Warm Up 3 repeats:
Goblet Squat 5x32 kg
Hip Bridge x 5

28 Repeats: 5 x 24kg

Total:
140 snatches @ 24 kg

Evaluation: Traveling for work. Found some junky competition style Kettlebells in a gym. They were miserable.

Last edited:
14 JAN 2019:

Warm Up 3 repeats:
Goblet Squat 5x32 kg
Hip Bridge x 5

Decided to go wavy today. Still did 5 snatches per repeat with the 24 kg, and 3 snatches per repeat with the 32 kg. Just mixed up the order.

Total:
30 Repeats
80 snatches @ 24 kg
42 snatches @ 32 kg

Average HR: 125 bpm
Peak HR: 143 bpm

Evaluation: It is so nice to be back home and training with my own stuff. I only own the Elite line from Kettlebells's USA. They are simply fantastic. There is something special about the thickness of the handle and the finish that makes them so user friendly. I can't imagine buying a different brand. I'm slowing working towards using the 32 kg as my primary training bell. For the first time I felt like I was generating enough force from the hips to give the 32 a sense of weightlessness, making for an easy pull from the waistline to lockout. Finished this training session with the farmer walk: 50 yards, rest, 50 yards back. I should be doing more of these.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 JAN 2019

Wanted to mix things up a little today.

Snatches:
6 repeats of 5 x 24kg
10 repeats of 3 x 32 kg
Alternating repeats of 24kg and 32 kg

Total:
26 repeats
50 snatches @ 24 kg
48 snatches @ 32 kg

Time: 32 minutes
Average HR: 127 bpm
Peak HR: 151 bpm

Evaluation:
Goal for today was to increase 32 kg repeats. Was able to do 10 repeats of 32kg strait without going back to the 24kg. I did have to increase my rest time from about 45 seconds to a full minute of rest. Previously, I think I had only done 4 repeats of 32kg in a row. Almost did as many snatches at 32kg as 24kg. Feels like progress. Soon, the 24kg will be strictly delegated to warm up.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom