all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Shiftwork and your training.....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crazycanuck

Level 9 Valued Member
I've been a rotating shift worker (healthcare, 12h D, 12h N, now in last 5-6 yrs 8h D-to 1600h, 8h E-to 2400 or later) for more years (29) than I have ever been training (15-ish) . I am calling on all my fellow shift workers here. What are your personal tips and tricks? How do you find your schedule and the type of work you do affects your training, and vice versa, how do you typically train (I have been kettlebell, bodyweight primarily over the years), and how do you find maintaining the habit of exercise affects the work you do?

I'll start us off...what I have found for myself personally:

-things that have a huge effect---a) schedule and way it is rotated eg: # days off going from later/overnite to day shift greatly affects sleep. Some of my employers have been more sensible, some schedule creators have never obviously worked a day of shiftwork in thier lives LOL ROFL and b) type of work. Some settings I have been in have been more exhausting mentally (change/pace/acuity and multitasking) vs physically oddly enough.

-when I did do nights, or when now on evenings, stay on like hours (as best you can) on days off. Easier said than done when you have little kids, or another shiftworker or even 9-5er in the house. Guard your sleep with your life (blackout curtains, white noise, flip off the neighbours for mowing the lawn at 9am lol etc) and hope you have an understanding family. My spouse is a shiftworker, so relates quite well and my kids are old enough to be quiet.

-go right to bed when I come home if I can after a winding down routine, no screens (woke me up way too much), even wear sunglasses on the way home.

-don't intake caffeine past a certain point in the shift. Found that point with much experimentation.

-if your workplace allows (mine's does), have a "cat-nap" provided with your type of work it is acceptable policy/safe to do so and your fellow employees can cover for you. Did that often at 0300 ish on nights, for just 20 min or so, got me a second wind.

Training:
-when on night shifts/evenings, tried to get a little bit in before I went to work, depending on how well I slept. When getting up from the last night shifts in particular, and having for example only 3 days off before days, first sleep day was "Zombie mode" after allowing myself to have only 4-ish hrs sleep, so that I could sleep the majority of that first nightoff. Training took a BIG back seat those days due to how awful I felt and would just do some mobility, and the first session or two or three after that with weights took a while to get into gear and feel like my strength was fully back.....note to self....maybe lighten the weight/lengthen rest periods.

-find that on day shifts, I need to train before work, because my job is unpredictable as far as leaving at the end of the day on time, getting breaks during the day, and too often would be exhausted when coming home and if I don't take advantage of a small burst of energy I may have once home, it leaves. HOWEVER....the older I get, and the heavier weight used, the harder I find it to train heavy in the mornings first thing and need to allow a LOT of time for a good warmup. Some mornings I gamble on sleeping in instead of taking that time, depending on how my shift the day before was, and train in the evening instead anyways. On a day off, training is mid morning or early afternoon when I feel my best.

Training affecting work...
-not extremely heavy labor (lifting like jobs like construction for example) as often have devices and techniques on the job to aid that, however with any muscle power used find it way easier especially with heavier patients/clientele, and muscle endurance to keep up at it. Work in some areas in an old hospital facility, as well as times in people's homes, that are not very ergonomically friendly, so find training aids greatly in being flexible, to reach into odd areas, be able to squat for long periods, turn heavy equipment around tight corners, etc. I see coworkers younger than me that are complaining about backs and knees, and people in my line of work typically retire in late 50's to early 60's (if the pocketbook allows) for this very reason among others, so I am grateful for the gift of fitness that keeps on giving.

Also I am guessing there may (?) be a difference between weights centric workouts vs. endurance (eg: cycling, running) that one may be feeling more capable of doing when they are a bit more tired, maybe not. Sometimes I think it is about an equal combination of my age (50) and just by virtue that it is shiftwork in general that I can't exercise the way I did when I started 15 yrs younger, vs anything purely physical in my job vs a desk job.
-
I am really curious about everyone else's experiences....

Have worked a lot of shiftwork in the past but not in a number of years with exception of odd limited run assignments.

Heavy lifting at work and I'd shift my training to be more aerobic intervals, either jump rope and/or heavy bag. I did manage to do a fair amount of strength training as well whenever the schedule lightened up - dumbbell work mostly. All my training was home-based. Working with a lot of solvents on the job and in a generally not very clean environment, as well as still being a smoker back then, I always had a strong desire to "sweat out some toxins". As my work conditions improved I migrated back to more strength/muscle focus, over the years this has gone back and forth.

I found it easiest to flip my entire schedule, so coming home at 8:30 am, workout, eat "dinner", get some sleep. On 2nd shift, same thing - home at 1-2 am, workout, eat dinner, sleep. On days off my schedule might be all over the place depending on start time for my next shift.

Black T shirt for a head wrap and one ear plug.

Have worked a lot of shiftwork in the past but not in a number of years with exception of odd limited run assignments.

Heavy lifting at work and I'd shift my training to be more aerobic intervals, either jump rope and/or heavy bag. I did manage to do a fair amount of strength training as well whenever the schedule lightened up - dumbbell work mostly. All my training was home-based. Working with a lot of solvents on the job and in a generally not very clean environment, as well as still being a smoker back then, I always had a strong desire to "sweat out some toxins". As my work conditions improved I migrated back to more strength/muscle focus, over the years this has gone back and forth.

I found it easiest to flip my entire schedule, so coming home at 8:30 am, workout, eat "dinner", get some sleep. On 2nd shift, same thing - home at 1-2 am, workout, eat dinner, sleep. On days off my schedule might be all over the place depending on start time for my next shift.

Black T shirt for a head wrap and one ear plug.
Interesting you can work out before sleep, I find it wakes me up far too much after a late/night shift, although sometimes after day shift I do have some success (as I am about to do tonight).

I swear by using this for light control when sleeping. Sort of Charles Dickens/A Christmas Carol looking but comfy and gets the job done without shifting...

Interesting you can work out before sleep, I find it wakes me up far too much after a late/night shift, although sometimes after day shift I do have some success (as I am about to do tonight).

I swear by using this for light control when sleeping. Sort of Charles Dickens/A Christmas Carol looking but comfy and gets the job done without shifting...

I've had somewhat mixed success using exercise as a sleeping tonic, ultimately I found a solid session and a hot shower, ready for bed. Low light overall is extremely important.

The Nite Hood is exactly how I do my T shirt more or less. Twist the bottom into a figure 8 and pull it down over the head like a giant dew rag.

I'm a lot handier on the sewing machine these days, I'd probably make a few hoods out of thinner material if I went back to shift work - was recently offered a job on straight 3rd shift for more $, but not enough more to take it. Swing shift maybe...

I did rotating shifts a long time ago and found out that I was in the category of people who did poorly on that regime. Since then I have only worked day shift plus some overtime (ie always ending in the evening).However, I worked in occupational health for a long time and can provide you some tips:
- physical training - you have the comments of others on this aspects (as well as Strongfirst's work) and so it is more a matter of balancing training and recovery than any thing else. My comments below should help here.
- sleep in the dark ie remove all light from your room. light during sleep has all sorts of adverse neuro-endocrine effects and more will be identified over time. NB when it is dark there is a risk of stumbling or tripping if you need to move around and so keeping things tidy is important.
- Sleep is important and so is natural mental rest. Shift work creates more demands upon the person and so being able to cope better by rest and relaxation is very important. By relaxation, I refer primarily to relaxation of the mind. This can be done by relaxing the body and mind. Letting it happen (relaxation involves letting go the opposite of tensing up). Then, allowing it to happen and the mind will slow down and still. This is very calming which you know after wards. I should mention this form of meditation or deep mental relaxation is that of Dr Ainslie Meares (details are in his books).
- you will be low in vitamin D unless you supplement - every study I have on shift workers has shown this is the case.
- working unusual hours can mean the diet suffers as their can be restrictions on accessible eating places. So, work out an easy way to get nutritious food.
- keep an eye on hydration as fatigue can mean a tendency to drink beverages that lead to dehydration eg coffee etc.
I hope these quick points are of assistance.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom