all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Short Stop Drill

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

D-Rock

Level 5 Valued Member
Lately I've been doing an OS inspired warmup, followed by the shortstop drill from Stuart McGill. Wow my back feels great! These two have worked synergistically to align my back. The OS movements have really mobilized what needs mobilized, and the short stop drill kind of "sets" my posture in place and gets me very connected with my lats. I feel solid, mobile, more relaxed yet aligned. I have noticed I stand more symmetrically and am getting the natural S-curve back. My ears sit over my shoulder which sit over my hips which rests over my feet without consciously standing up straight or tucking my neck. Great pairing!

Lately I've been doing an OS inspired warmup, followed by the shortstop drill from Stuart McGill. Wow my back feels great! These two have worked synergistically to align my back. The OS movements have really mobilized what needs mobilized, and the short stop drill kind of "sets" my posture in place and gets me very connected with my lats. I feel solid, mobile, more relaxed yet aligned. I have noticed I stand more symmetrically and am getting the natural S-curve back. My ears sit over my shoulder which sit over my hips which rests over my feet without consciously standing up straight or tucking my neck. Great pairing!

@D-Rock Thanks for sharing. Can you recommend a good video or explanation to the shortstop drill from Stuart McGill? Sounds like this is something I will add to my list of mobility routines that originated from this thread.

Have you had a fixed routine together with the OS movements? How often did you do it and for how long now?

@D-Rock
If you like the short stop drill, you might check out Foundation Training. The basic exercise "The Founder" is based on the short stop hinge position (although they don't call it that), with some variations and elaborations. I find it a great complement to the OS drills.

Here's a link to the Foundation Training YouTube playlist of their free instructional videos. The second and fourth ones in the playlist have instruction on the founder exercise, and the last one is a 10 minute routine based on the founder and some of the variations.

Our Solutions - YouTube

@Tarzan thank you for the link to that blog, I had forgotten about that article! I have been going off S&S, which is essentially the article. @Tobias Wissmueller this article or the explanation in S&S would be good resources. I read it, do the drill, read again, etc...I usually find little details I missed in the reading. I will do this several sessions until I have the form memorized. I actually do this read, practice, read thing with a lot of Pavel's materials.

I am still playing around with my mobility routine, finding what works so I don't have a set routine. At the moment, i am doing many variations of head nods, head turns, and thoracic mobility by sitting down and touching hand to opposite knee. I also lay on my back and lift my head slightly, looking around. Then I flip to my stomach and again raise my head and look around. I will usually run through differing amounts and variations of these for 10-20 minutes or until I feel good. I am currently doing this every day. I am doing this for 2 reasons:

1. I have discovered the body follows the head, so I want good head movements.
2. It's what I need at the moment.

@Steve W. that sounds interesting, I will check that out later!

I've be playing with the founder and I like it! It's a fun/interesting variation of the shortstop drill.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom