all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Shorter Barbell For Home Use

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rahul Raje

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello Everyone

I hope you're all staying strong and healthy amid this Godforsaken Lockdown.

I'm looking forward to getting a smaller Olympic Barbell, about 6 to 6.4 feet in length with all other functions of an O bar like the collared sleeves, knurling etc for home use. Apparently, I've found a shorter bar might reduce risks of damage to other furniture within the house, could be easy to move around or transport and might have an overall lesser footprint.

Would love to know if there are any tradeoffs to using this somewhat shorter Barbell for lifts in your experience? Any disadvantages ( apart from obviously being 5 or more kgs lighter than a standard bar )? I know their max tolerances might be limited to 300 to 400 kg, though at my current strength levels, that could mean a lifetime strength goal in a deadlift.

Let me know your thoughts on this. I'd love hearing the insights.

Stay safe
Thanks
Rahul

@Rahul Raje The main thing you'll notice with a shorter bar is that it's harder to maintain balance when the weights are closer together. This shouldn't be an issue when deadlifting but certainly factors in to squatting and pressing movements.

Once you're used to it, it shouldn't cause you any problems.

Your stance may be limited for sumo deadlifts.

It doesn't sound like you are planning on doing barbell snatches, but your grip would be limited for those.

@Rahul Raje, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Be careful when you buy shorter bars. There's quite a variety out there. Some are lighter than 20 kg, some are not, loading and grip areas can differ in length, bar may be thinner. Just be sure to get what you're looking for and ask questions.

-S-

Thanks a lot everyone for the valuable inputs. I'm basically aiming to practice the zercher lift using this bar(at least in the beginning), much along the lines of the Occam's Razor program outlined by Pavel. Have only done it with a longer bar yet. Hoping the dimensional challenges with a sub-seven feet bar wouldn't come in the way of performance much.

Let's see how this endeavor works.

Thanks
Rahul

I got the C-60B mainly for Barbell TGUs and carries and like it a lot.
Not great for some traditional lifts like squat, bench, military press or snatches, because you can't rack it in a power/squat rack and might not be able to grip wide enough for snatches. For deadlifts, zerchers, C&Ps, floor press and others it's still good. Using standard cast iron plates you can load up the C-60B to around 250Kg, so plenty of room for improvements on your zerchers.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom