all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Shot Put

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Antti

Level 10 Valued Member
Does anyone have any experience with the sport? Any tips for one interested in it? Any resources you can point me at?

Used to throw stuff in college, though I was a lousy shot putter. Tips:
  • Olympic lifts. Lots of olympic lifts.
  • Requires a lot of balance. Daily footwork drills (mimicking a throw) are best. Treat it like a martial art, do it so many times that you don't even have to think about it anymore.
  • Requires good spine rotation. Brettzels.

Great throwers work on some element of technique every day, with or without the implement. All track and field events are predicated on speed. Decide on which style (Spin or Glide) suits you the best, don't sidelined by what's trendy.

Thanks for the pointers.

Just to be clear, I do not have any competitive aspirations or such, I'm just looking at shot put as a recreational exercise. Something fun and simple to do outside. I do have some goals for powerlifting so I'm going to concentrate the vast majority of my training on it. But sure, it wouldn't hurt adding some different lifts on a variety day with the shot put in mind.

I thought I would just do the standing shot put in the beginning. Get decent at it, and maybe start adding in the glide. I'm not yet sure what the terrain will be like, so it may be ineffective or hazardous to try to use the glide.

Another fun drill is to whip the shot backwards over your head with two hands - like doing a KB swing, then launching the bell. Common warm up drill, good stuff.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom