all posts post new thread

Should EVERY rep look the same?

Boris Bachmann

Level 8 Valued Member
Over the past year or so, Squat U et. al seem to be on a tear about 'every [squat] rep being the same', from warm-up to 1rm. I think it's well-intended and not completely wrong, but still wrong.
Maybe the idea is more applicable as we learn technique basics and when we are noobs, but as we get stronger, more powerful, improve endurance and focus, and increase load, tactics and technique necessarily change (edit - this should read 'change OVER TIME')

[edit - I should have prefaced all of this by saying that I am an older lifter with some 'mileage'.]

Maybe I'm all wet, but I don't think so. Feel free to commiserate or disagree with me here.

I talk briefly about it here (but really NOTHING beyond what I've just written is presented):

Last edited:
Well, they can't be exactly the same, as the mass and its position changes as the bar gets more and more loaded.

As we develop, the technique should adapt to our strengths.

True maxes will always look a bit ugly. Nothing wrong with it.

I do think it's a good idea to try to perform every rep to perfection.

The basic mechanics should be the same for a given exercise. The same cues if needed, the same sequence, the same posture. If deliberately changing variations, mechanics will change.

This being primarily for free weight closed chain. Open chain there might be a little more variability, and if using machines all bets are off.

Ultimately if one is lifting for fitness and not to compete, it doesn’t much matter as long as the lift is performed safely - shoulders packed, lower back neutral.

I have seen it written that all of Ed Coan's reps looked the same. If so, it can't be wrong by much.

I have seen it written that all of Ed Coan's reps looked the same. If so, it can't be wrong by much.
I'm sure they did more or less. I'm guessing if we saw Ed move through a training session today, that would be less true. I probably should have prefaced all of this by saying that I'm looking at it as an older lifter w. some mileage.

I'm sure they did more or less. I'm guessing if we saw Ed move through a training session today, that would be less true. I probably should have prefaced all of this by saying that I'm looking at it as an older lifter w. some mileage.
I would think that an older lifter with miles that goes heavy would want to stay in a similar groove. Same lifter with a GPP approach I would think would want to vary a good bit, since life is messy.

Squat U et. al seem to be on a tear about 'every [squat] rep being the same', from warm-up to 1rm.

Technique Development

If the objective is to develop Technique each repetition needs to to be optimally the same each time.

I have provided multiple post on the StrongFrirst regarding this as well.

This one of the post addresses it...

Post 8

The key to developing Technique in a lift or movement is practice.

It is optimally developed when it is...

1) Practiced first or on a day set aside for it.

2) When performed with load of 85% of 1 Repetition Max for Single Repetition Sets.

3) The number or Single Repetition Sets are determined by Muscle Fatigue.

Once Muscle Fatigue sets in, the Exercise is terminated.

Continuing in a fatigued state reinforce poor technique.''

Pavel: “Strength is a skill.” And like any skill, it’s one you’ve got to consistently work at.
Get Stronger By Greasing the Groove

"The more you practice, the more of a pathway forms between your muscles and your nervous system. Or in other words, the more you practice, the more you “grease the neurological groove.”

"Focus on perfection. Greasing the groove is how we practice the skill of strength, and as we know, practice doesn’t make perfect — perfect practice does."

Perfection

This occurs when Technique is maintained by performing the Repetition the each time.

Technique Training Percentages

1) The Muscle Firing Sequence

The Muscle Firing Sequences changes when training with different percentages.

a) Squats

"With lower loads, the squat is a much more quad-dominant exercise, with contributions of the hip extensors increasing as loads increase.

b) Bench Press

"...If you’re benching 80% of your 1RM, that doesn’t necessarily mean your pecs and triceps are both producing force at 80% of their maximum capacities. ...When benching with 80% of 1RM, the pecs may be exerting 90% of their maximal force, while the triceps are only exerting 70% of their maximal force. So, as loads increase from 80% to 100% of 1RM, pec usage only increases by a little bit, while triceps usage increases considerably. Source: What gives out when you fail a heavy squat? • Stronger by Science

Rate Coding

"...The first way to produce a stronger muscle contraction is to become efficient at recruiting more fibers and becoming especially efficient at turning on the most powerful fast-twitch fibers."

"Increase the firing rate of the recruited fibers. Every time a muscle fiber “fires,” it produces force. So the faster it can fire, or the more twitches it can do per unit of time, the more force the muscle produces."

"As long as you’re training in the 90-100% range, you’ll get the proper neurological adaptations."

"Strength isn’t just a physical capacity; it’s a skill. The more often you practice the skill of producing a maximum amount of force, the better you become at it."

Baseball Analogy

Think of it like learning to hit a 90 mph Fast Ball.

An individual needs to learn to hit a Baseball with Slower Speed Pitches.
However, at some point, an individual need to practice hitting 90 mph Fast Balls.

That because Timing, the Muscle Involvement, Rate Coding, ect are different in a 60 mph vs a 90 mph Fast Ball.

technique necessarily change (edit - this should read 'change OVER TIME')

Technique Changes

Biomechanical Research by Dr Tom McLaughlin determined that Technique Changes can occur.

Before Ed Coan there was Mike Bridges; a pheneomal 181 lb Powerlifter.

Bridge Increased His Bench Without Getting Stronger

One of the most interesting pieces of reach from McLaughlin was on how Bridges increased his Bench Press World Record without getting stronger...

Bridges Benched 446 lbs at 181 lbs in a T-Shirt; before Bench Shirt were around)

"Mike Bridges added 60lbs to his bench in a year (386 to 446) by altering his bar path to dramatically increase the minimum force he could exert on the bar. This is the hallmark of more efficient technique: minimum force during the movement approaching maximum force."

I'm guessing if we saw Ed move through a training session ..., that would be less true.
Muscle Fatigue

Research shows with each repetition, Muscle Fatigue occurs; which alters Technique.

The Techniques of the first repetition isn't the same as let say the later repetition in a Heavy Set.

Technique Training

That is why Technique Training need to be performed at the beginning of a program when you are fresh.

That is why Technique Training need to limit the movement to one or maybe two Repetition Per Set; to avoid Muscle Fatigue.

That is why once Muscle Fatigue occurs in a Movement, it needs to be terminated.

Continuing only even with a Repetition that "Can't be wrong by much" reinforce poor Technique.

The Poster Children For Technique
Olympic Lifter are the Poster Children for Technique Training.

They adhear to, "Practice doesn’t make perfect — perfect practice does."

I would think that an older lifter with miles that goes heavy would want to stay in a similar groove. Same lifter with a GPP approach I would think would want to vary a good bit, since life is messy.
My point w. Ed, etc being older and having miles is that your warm-up sets will likely not look like your later sets.

I used to be able to walk up cold to kids in the weight room who were messing up squats or cleans or bench and just show them w. the already loaded bar what they were doing wrong and how to move it correctly. I might still be able to do that today if it's pretty light, but I would probably be very sorry about it later...

I used to be able to walk up cold to kids in the weight room who were messing up squats or cleans or bench and just show them w. the already loaded bar what they were doing wrong and how to move it correctly. I might still be able to do that today if it's pretty light, but I would probably be very sorry about it later...

Maybe.

Average kids today are pretty weak.

I was checking out a new fitness club in my area, assessing the machines (good, Hammer Strength), lifting platforms (not bad), bumper plates (awful), and barbells (terrible for ballistics, old nasty barbells that barely spin).

Anyway, these teens were doing DLs on the lifting platform / squat rack, which also had safety arms installed (why?).

I wanted to check out the spin on the barbell. It had some random assortment of 2 big plates and a couple of littler ones, a mixture of full size bumpers and iron plates that made it hard to do plate math, so I didn't bother.

I asked the teens if I could check out the barbell they were using and they said go ahead.

So I cleaned it up from the floor, did a couple of hang cleans, a few front squats, and determined the barbell was absolute garbage and not even close to what I have at home.

The teenlets were like "WHOA DUDE WTF THAT OLD DUDE JUST DID STUFF WITH OUR MAX DL!"

I looked at them, shrugged, and said, "Eh...wasn't that heavy. How much was that?"

The lead teen said: "265 lbs"

[And in my mind I'm thinking these kids DL less than I can bench for a couple of reps on a good day, and my bench press *sucks*.]

none of my TGU's look the same :eek:o_O but that's not a choice, I'm working on it.

however, regarding my swings (which I'm really happy with): I vary things on the easy days and also when I feel strong on the medium days. this means taht I try to pop the KB to different heights: navel, chest, shoulders, eye, or almost snatch levels. The only change that I *try* to make is the pop in the hinge, everything else should be the same/similar. I conciously decide on the height before each swing and aim for it...this is maybe 2or3 reps per set and the rest are 'normal' at chest height (10x10, or 10setsx5reps, or similar, depending on the days plan)

I try to pop the KB to different heights: navel, chest, shoulders, eye, or almost snatch levels.
FWIW, I find the two-bell clean the most effective way to teach varying the power one imparts to the bells with one’s hips because there is a fixed landing point and therefore the force must be adjusted to the needs of the weight being used.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom