all posts post new thread

Nutrition Should I be eating Flax?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 6372

Hello

Need some strong opinions.

I know Flax is super good for you. My question is, should I eat it despite the high levels of phyloestrogen? That seems to be where the debate rages.

Thoughts?

Hello,

Indeed, there is a debate.

Some plant molecules act a bit like oestrogen naturaly produced by the body, albeit their affinity with oestrogen receptors is 100 to 1000 weaker than the one of natural hormones.

What they do depend of the person: his hormonal balance and the type of phytoestrogen.

Flax contains specially a kind of phytoestrogen called lignane. There are a lot of types of lignanes in plants. They are supposed to play a positive role on bones solidity and cholestherol management. These aspect are the main ones which have been studied.

Knowing that, maybe the best thing to do is to do a check up about your hormonal balance (testosterone / oestrogen). From there, you will be able to decide (with a scientfic basis) if you can consume flax or not.

Kind regards,

Pet'

That is my understanding as well @pet'. While it is estrogen like, it's not human estrogen. And there are a lot of health benefits in those phytoestrogens as well.

Thanks @pet'

Hello,

Flax also contains lots of fiber, what makes it good for digestion (because it is gluten free). It is very rich in omega 3, which is proved to be good for the ratio LDL / HDL.

it's not human estrogen
Yes that is the key thing. I know some people (men) who are on a paleo diet. Then they consume flax oil and flax grains. They are in very good health (low blood pressure, good hormonal balance, etc...).I am running myself paleo (so I consume flax) and I have no issue of any type either.

About plan estrogen, body sensitivity is lower. I guess we'd have to eat tons before something happen !

It is an interesting debate, even if there are only a few studies about it. Soy is also considered as a potential "phytoestrogen issue plant".

Kind regards,

Pet'

That is the thing, when I consume things that naturally reduce estrogen, I very quickly display low estrogen signs. My doctors won't do a blood test just cause, so I can't confirm it. Just seems like a huge coincidence.

And no, I am not trying to sound like "I. AM. ALL. THAT. IS. MAN!"

I used ground flax because of the omega fat, magnesium, and zinc which are all precursors to testosterone. I did not like the taste. Now I use hemp hearts. I did not know anything about flax and estrogen.

I used ground flax because of the omega fat, magnesium, and zinc which are all precursors to testosterone. I did not like the taste. Now I use hemp hearts. I did not know anything about flax and estrogen.
Depending on your diet, hemp hearts have the right ratio of omega 3's to 6's.

Apparently Flax has the highest amount of phytoestrogen.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom