all posts post new thread

Nutrition Should i cut or bulk

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Very general question but I’ll take a shot at it...

If your goal is to get SUPER lean I would try that first to see if it’s even POSSIBLE for you. A lot of people don’t have the discipline to get as lean as they would want in the first place so “bulking” can end up just adding a lot of extra weight that you might not have the discipline to “cut” down the road.

A better option might be to just focus on getting stronger. Eating enough protein and keeping your calories as close to maintenance as your can as to not impede strength gains but also not to add a ton of weight. There’s definitely a sweet spot where you can get leaner and get stronger at the same time.

I’ve seen people “bulk” and just get fat. Never get leaner and be pretty disappointed.

I’ve also definitely seen people only focus on getting stronger without going crazy on calories and end up buildIng muscle and end up leaner over all.

I would train for strength and do a very slow bulk over the next 20-40 years. :D

After that, still strength train. But now you have no choice and will "cut" for another 20-40 years until you pass away. ?

In all seriousness, unless you are competing in some bodybuilding or beauty contest OR are some athlete who competes in a specific weight class OR are severely overweight, just train for STRENGTH with a moderate amount of aerobic and anaerobic conditioning, with a hearty diet and 8 hr sleep per night.

Regards

Eric

If you go into the articles. I remember 2 by Fabio Zonin, that you may be interested in. 1 was a workout plan to prep for bodybuilding. The other was the nutrition plan. Check it out. If u cant find it let me know and I'll search for it when I return home.

If you go into the articles. I remember 2 by Fabio Zonin, that you may be interested in. 1 was a workout plan to prep for bodybuilding. The other was the nutrition plan. Check it out. If u cant find it let me know and I'll search for it when I return home.
Hey I cant find it. Send it please. Thanks man

Thanks for mentioning this article, I was looking for it earlier and couldn't remember who wrote it.

Do the kind of simultaneous bulk and cut that has been happening everywhere since gyms were invented. It's about working hard while in a modest calorie deficit. After a while you will look in the mirror and see that you are leaner and more muscly!

There can come a time when you have so much muscle that this won't work so well any more, but you are a long way from that. The classic bulk and cut is designed for people whose muscles are already huge. Worry about it when you look like them.

Thanks Guys. Right now i am trying to just get lean(lose stomach fat) but not lose muscle in some sort of way. I train 6 days a week and started incorporating 30 mins cardio after a hypertrophic workout.

My advice for those who are not at some extreme of body comp, high or low, is to simply train hard with a good program, using an approach that favors some mass building. Increase your protein and consider taking 5mg of some inexpensive creatine supplement.

Plan on a good 12 weeks of this to see where you're headed once some muscle starts going on, you might not have to do much of anything with your diet. Don't think of this as a bulk or cut, is more of a "recomp".

If your current diet isn't too far out of whack you should end up at or near your current weight, maybe a few lbs heavier but with reduced bf%. Decide more at that point.

My advice for those who are not at some extreme of body comp, high or low, is to simply train hard with a good program, using an approach that favors some mass building. Increase your protein and consider taking 5mg of some inexpensive creatine supplement.

Plan on a good 12 weeks of this to see where you're headed once some muscle starts going on, you might not have to do much of anything with your diet. Don't think of this as a bulk or cut, is more of a "recomp".

If your current diet isn't too far out of whack you should end up at or near your current weight, maybe a few lbs heavier but with reduced bf%. Decide more at that point.
I can attest to the recomp working. Dieting right and simple and sinister, moving to ROP I lost almost 2 pants sizes (about 4”) filled out the medium shirts and overall look way better.
I had these grandiose ideas of what body fat percentage I wanted to be and what muscles I wanted to get bigger at first but eventually realized since I’m a relative beginner to the strength game again just waking up and putting in the work makes you pretty satisfied with any results you get after a while.

I can attest to the recomp working. Dieting right and simple and sinister, moving to ROP I lost almost 2 pants sizes (about 4”) filled out the medium shirts and overall look way better.
I had these grandiose ideas of what body fat percentage I wanted to be and what muscles I wanted to get bigger at first but eventually realized since I’m a relative beginner to the strength game again just waking up and putting in the work makes you pretty satisfied with any results you get after a while.
For 99.9% of us this is all one could ever need. There is no point in making a detailed plan, just get to training and a lot of the questions answer themselves.

Sure, one might get 6 months or a year in and want to get more shredded or huge or much stronger, and at that stage you'll have practical know-how and a good idea of the inertia required. Build the machine first, customize it later.

According to your pictures and what you said about your goal. You should cut.
Strength training and good protein intake will prevent most of the muscle loss.
Some advocate fast fat loss, others advocate very slow and steady recomp.
it all depends on your hunger management, diet adherence, your progress in your strength sessions and how fast or slow you want to see the fat melt off.
I would start slowly and start tracking calories, weight and waist measurements for two weeks and then adjust calories from these first bits of data.
I would train for strength with heavy loads (about 20-30 reps total per movement), 3x a week. With no cardio at first. Don’t train for burning calories, diet will take care of that. Train to increase your work capacity with heavy weights, this will send the message to your muscles that you need them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom