all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Should i ditch barbell ?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Reubenz

Level 3 Valued Member
I have a question that i need some help with. I feel it in my head and body that i feel alot better when i am training with kettlebells. That is mostly because i am on methotrexate and i didnt have that problem before i was using this heavy drug but now to my question. If i were to stop using barbell training and focus on kettlebells what would i miss?

It would really depend on your goals. Personally I think you would be just fine. You can get strong, powerful and gain muscle on bells. You just have to find the right plan/path for you. I rarely use a barbell now, may be 1-2 times a week. By doing heavy swings I haven't lost anything on my deads and I have a ton of power cardio. You can do nearly everything with a bell that you can do with a barbell.

I started working with kettlebells because I wanted to train at home and don't have stoarage for barbell and plates. I'm also live in a flat so a barbell is no-no. The thing I miss the most is deadlift. Double front squat and goblet squat is sufficient for me in case of squatting, actually I prefer front squat with kettlebells, because of insufficient flexibility in my wrists. I don't miss a bench press because I prefer overhead press. So for deadlifts I have to go to the gym once a week, but aside of it I really don't feel that I need barbell to do full body workouts.

So if bench press or deadlift is not in your goals you will be fine with just kettlebells.

Well my goals is to look strong and be strong but also feel good. I have no need to lift big numbers to impress somebody. I rather feel energized by my training than beaten up by it.

Well if you want to feel energized by your training (rather than beat up) then IMO kettlebells and body weight training will fit the bill precisely.
Not to mention get you plenty strong along the way.
I think that between S&S, NW, and fighter pull-ups, a person can get pretty darn strong...

It is 100% your choice. Kettlebells can do it all for you, or then you may find yourself missing the weight that barbells can provide. I also don't understand why you have to make the choice. Why not do kettlebell training with appropriate movements and then supplement it with some barbell work? There really is no deadlift except the deadlift, for example.

I have spent a month with low wheights on barbell training and the effect is still there from methotrexate and i dont experience it with kettlebells.

@Reubenz
I miss deadlifting and will re-introduce it into my training, part of it being that I want to participate in the TSC and it's part of that.
Other than that I don't miss the the barbell at all. Barbell routines made me stronger, but also a lot of stiffer. Before each session I always needed a proper warmup (to the point that I was sweating) and foam rolling. On top of that flexibility training to just maintain the flexibility that I already had. A lot of times sessions would drain me and I really had to recover afterwards.
Now with only KBs and a little bit of bodyweight in the form of crawling I can start into a session without a warmup.
5 goblets and 10 unloaded hip hinges and I'm good to go. I never have to use the foam roller or lacrosse ball. My flexibility increased, despite stopping the additional flexibility work. Overall I feel more connected and stronger. My sessions energize me instead of taking energy away.
That's just my experience. It might differ for others.
So if you feel better with KBs and don't have any specific reason to use the barbell (like it really much, compete in a powerlifting meet etc.) there's no need to keep using it.

well i am not a bodybuilder or a powerlifter and it is just a tool so you are correct.

When working with any sort of medical limitation, you should listen to your body.

In my opinion, the barbell is a tool for heavy lifting in a gym environment with spotters. For home fitness it is nice for stuff like military press or bent rows but the KB can stand in for those movements anyway. I'd more interested in finding what pacing, loading, volume is best tolerated and adapt a program to that.

You can always come back to barbell later, don't ever sell your iron. But don't use it just because you have it.

When working with any sort of medical limitation, you should listen to your body.

In my opinion, the barbell is a tool for heavy lifting in a gym environment with spotters. For home fitness it is nice for stuff like military press or bent rows but the KB can stand in for those movements anyway. I'd more interested in finding what pacing, loading, volume is best tolerated and adapt a program to that.

You can always come back to barbell later, don't ever sell your iron. But don't use it just because you have it.
well i am in a gym environment but i agree with you when you mentioned loading,volume. And working with a medical limitation is also something. I think i must have to let go of stroking my ego.

Heavy barbell training really stimulates some hormone improvements for me. Other than that, I don't miss much only training with KBs and calisthenics.

I'm working some heavier routines into my current program and having a time duplicating heavy back squats and bent row/T-bar row. I'm doing it but a bar and plates (and spotter) would be easier.

Hello,

@Reubenz
What moves do you do using barbells ?

For instance, if you want to drop them, and if you were doing lots of deadlifts, you can go for heavy 2H swings because they work the same muscle groups.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Reubenz
What moves do you do using barbells ?

For instance, if you want to drop them, and if you were doing lots of deadlifts, you can go for heavy 2H swings because they work the same muscle groups.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Ive been following stronglifts 5*5 and thant means squats,bench,overhead press,rows and deadlifts.

If you are not in a sport that demands extremely high levels of strength then kettlebells should suit you just great.

I was thinking of ditching barbell too, but then I started to think what if I want to do cycle of PTTP or something similar in the future. I think I'm going to keep it for a while.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom