all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Should i ditch barbell ?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Well my goals is to look strong and be strong but also feel good. I have no need to lift big numbers to impress somebody. I rather feel energized by my training than beaten up by it.
I think the "party line" at Strong First is that the barbell is like the M16 and the kettlebell is like the AK47 - in other words, actually the barbell is the better tool, but it's a more delicate one and trickier to access, store, etc.

I do the S&S programme with the 40kg bell and it achieves for me the goals you mention above.

I think the "party line" at Strong First is that the barbell is like the M16 and the kettlebell is like the AK47 - in other words, actually the barbell is the better tool, but it's a more delicate one and trickier to access, store, etc.

I do the S&S programme with the 40kg bell and it achieves for me the goals you mention above.
Do you use the 2handswing or the one hand swing?

I had a succesful run with Kettlebell burn 2.0 from Geoff Neupert a while back. Im going back to that program. It was awesome.

I had a succesful run with Kettlebell burn 2.0 from Geoff Neupert a while back. Im going back to that program. It was awesome.
How was your experience? Fat loss, conditioning etc.
Geoff told me that you can even use it as a hypertrophy routine, just don't follow the diet plan in Burn 2.0 and eat for mass instead.

a bold claim.
I think the article explained that you can load more weight onto a barbell and that you can do it incrementally, which makes it the better strength tool in the end. Also regarding presses, Pavel advocates for the bench press as the best one.

Do you use the 2handswing or the one hand swing?
Aha! This is a big topic. In my case I do 3 sets of 10 2h swings with the 40kg kettlebell and then 10 sets of 10 1h swings. Then I do the 5 sets of 2 getups.

@pet'
I just wanted to thank you for all the hyperlinks you add to all the threads. They really make it easy for the participants to reference pertinent material.

How was your experience? Fat loss, conditioning etc.
Geoff told me that you can even use it as a hypertrophy routine, just don't follow the diet plan in Burn 2.0 and eat for mass instead.
I didnt loose any wheight but i lost one size in my pants,gained muscle and alot of strenght. My conditioning became alot better :)

I will first try to ditch the assistance movements and see if things get better and if it doesnt then i decide my next step. I am beginning to understand why sometimes less is better.

I was thinking of ditching barbell too, but then I started to think what if I want to do cycle of PTTP or something similar in the future. I think I'm going to keep it for a while.
sometimes it is easy to fool yourself by thinking that doing more gives better results but to often its the other way around.

Ive been following stronglifts 5*5 and thant means squats,bench,overhead press,rows and deadlifts.
I have done similar in the past. I did Rippetoe's Starting Strength. I did sometimes Pendlay rows instead of power cleans. Good programs both.

+1 for kettlebell burn extreme. I have moved to KB's for most of my training as I simply can't get time to go the gym. When I use barbells I get fixated on adding weight and it takes its toll on recovery. With KB I tend to focus more on technique and I don't have recovery issues unless it's high volume. For a work life balance and having a busy family life KB's are hard to beat.

+1 for kettlebell burn extreme. I have moved to KB's for most of my training as I simply can't get time to go the gym. When I use barbells I get fixated on adding weight and it takes its toll on recovery. With KB I tend to focus more on technique and I don't have recovery issues unless it's high volume. For a work life balance and having a busy family life KB's are hard to beat.
Now when you say it i feel the exact same thing. I have also noticed i focus more on techniques rather than adding wheights.

Hello,

I didnt loose any wheight but i lost one size in my pants,gained muscle and alot of strenght. My conditioning became alot better
For the same volume, muscle is heavier than fat, so I think this is why you lost pant size but not weight.

Most of the time, the simplest training are the most efficient too.

To lose weight, I think that the already mentioned kettleburn will get the job done quite nicely. Otherwise, 10k swings challenge is also very good. Nonetheless, this is a demanding, and not sustainable for too long. This is very a stand alone program.

Kind regards,

Pet'

sometimes it is easy to fool yourself by thinking that doing more gives better results but to often its the other way around.
Like the comparison between the S&S and ROP programmes. S&S is less but are you really losing much by that?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom